Designing begins

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Designing begins

Postby jjlevek » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm starting to design as I go. I got a 5' 2000# axle from TSC to replace the axle on my 4x8 NuWay folding trailer. I will move the spring seats in slightly and widen my frame so I can get 15" tires on and have more than 1" of clearance between tire and wall. I may decide to add brakes at some point--does anyone know if I need additional clearance between spring seat and hub face or will brake drums fit if the backing plate is welded right at the end of the axle tube?

I made a 4x4x8 model out of cardboard (the smaller one in the photo below: 1/2" = 1'). Then I made a model out of scrap hardboard and duct tape with ~5x5x10 floor (~11.5' including front and rear curves which I shaped until we liked it; 1"=1').

There are a few more pictures in my album, but here are 2 of them

and

joe
What does Raayat mean? I asked Frederick.
He answered without hesitation. Gatherer.
Of what?
Knowledge. Experience.
He paused, then added:
Options. . . .
--C.S. Friedman, The Madness Season
jjlevek
Teardrop Builder

Postby mandy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:03 pm

Wow thats awsome.

mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Re: Designing begins

Postby del » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:57 am

jjlevek wrote:I'm starting to design as I go. I got a 5' 2000# axle from TSC to replace the axle on my 4x8 NuWay folding trailer. I will move the spring seats in slightly and widen my frame so I can get 15" tires on and have more than 1" of clearance between tire and wall. I may decide to add brakes at some point--does anyone know if I need additional clearance between spring seat and hub face or will brake drums fit if the backing plate is welded right at the end of the axle tube?

I made a 4x4x8 model out of cardboard (the smaller one in the photo below: 1/2" = 1'). Then I made a model out of scrap hardboard and duct tape with ~5x5x10 floor (~11.5' including front and rear curves which I shaped until we liked it; 1"=1').

There are a few more pictures in my album, but here are 2 of them

and

joe
On my trailer I did have to move the springs inward to allow for the brakes. The backing plate mounting bracket should give you an idea how far. Is you axle equipped with the brackets?

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby jjlevek » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 am

Glad you like it Mandy--just trying to use up some scraps that were lying around. I tried hot glue but it wasn't working well and I didn't want to dig out the contact cement.

Del-there is no brake flange currently on the axle; see the pics below. I guess I should get and attach that first before I move the spring seats inward then? You can also see in the 2nd picture that the axle that said it did not include spring mounts had them and the weld on one side is of poorer quality than the others.
joe

Of what?
Knowledge. Experience.
He paused, then added:
Options. . . .
jjlevek
Teardrop Builder

Postby del » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:25 pm

jjlevek wrote:Del-there is no brake flange currently on the axle; see the pics below. I guess I should get and attach that first before I move the spring seats inward then? You can also see in the 2nd picture that the axle that said it did not include spring mounts had them and the weld on one side is of poorer quality than the others.
joe

Not being a welder I will not critique welds (they look better than mine). I would think the flange has to be installed fairly accurately (I cheated and bought a new axle with them installed), maybe somebody will chime in with experience installing these. I would think having the drums and backing plates would be helpful in figuring out where the flanges go.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby jjlevek » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:52 am

That makes sense to have the materials at hand Del. Thanks for confirming that for me. I just need to decide now if I want brakes or not (don't need them with my vehicles, but I like the idea of extra stopping power). I'm not the greatest welder, but my point on the welds is that 1 of the 4 looks poorer than the other 3 and about 1/2 of the bead has little or no penetration.
joe
Of what?
Knowledge. Experience.
He paused, then added:
Options. . . .
jjlevek
Teardrop Builder

Postby RC » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Joe,
I really like the profile of your design. Keep us posted on how it turns out.
I have been sketching a design for my motorcycle tear lately. I am thinking of using Roly's lightweight design using a hollow core door as the floor.
This is the profile I have come up with so far. I think it looks pretty similar to yours.

It is 3'9" tall by 7'6" long.

Good luck on your build.
It worked until I fixed it!!!
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:37 pm

You need to have the drums and backing plates on hand when you mount the brackets. There is not much room for error if you want your brakes to work properly.
To mount them so they will work and not rub/wear you need to bolt the mount plate to the backing plate, put the backing plate/brakes in the drum with about a 1/16" spacer between the brake edge and the drum face, tighten the brakes as tight as you can get them with the adjuster. Slide the whole mess on the axle with the bearings in place and screw the axle nut on snug. Your backing plate mount will now be properly positioned. Tack them on good and take it all back apart. Repeat on the other side. Weld them on and you're done.
It's much easier to get an axle with the mounts installed.
You do know that the larger 10" drums won't fit on a 2k axle right. The only ones for them are the 7" brakes and I'm not sure those drums will work with all the larger wheels.

If you are using 15" tires your clearance should be the same with or without brakes.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby jjlevek » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks for the brake advice Nitetimes--I still have not decided what I'll do (and I'm waiting until warmer weather and more money makes doing anything easier).

RC--I like your design, too. It does seem similar to what I've done so far with models--now to find time and money and weather to do more!
joe
Of what?
Knowledge. Experience.
He paused, then added:
Options. . . .
jjlevek
Teardrop Builder

Return to Member Designs