"Slumberwide" for HR trailer

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

"Slumberwide" for HR trailer

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:12 pm

So I thought; What if you could fit the Slumbercoach on a Harbor Freight trailer frame? Lets make it easy and get rid of the fenders and make it wider while we are at it. I also wanted to design the sides to be cut from 4' by 8' plywood. Here are my drawings after two weeks and many designs hitting the shop floor. I belive all the dimensions are correct at this point. Axle location was checked with HF tech line and set at 64.5" from front of frame. Frame has been shortened slightly. More details to come.

AI and DXF files available.
Wolf
Teardrop Master

Postby Wimperdink » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:23 pm

I think its beautiful.... Thats exactly what I envisioned but couldnt put down on paper. I have a harbor freight frame and always liked lens slumbercoach. You've done a very good rendition of my desire. :thumbsup:
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:26 pm

Hey Wolf,

Good job on the drawings. The length is a little short, which makes it look taller than the original, but overall it looks good.

When do you start building?

Mike...

P.s. Do you have an ACIS file I can look at?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:28 pm

mikeschn wrote:Hey Wolf,

Good job on the drawings. The length is a little short, which makes it look taller than the original, but overall it looks good.

When do you start building?

Mike...

P.s. Do you have an ACIS file I can look at?

Kinda gives it more of a turtle look, particularly with the trim on it. ;)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:19 am

Thank you guy's, it's been a real noddle twister to get it too look correct with a "stock" Harbor Freight trailer, small wheels and high deck height. The wife called it the Yertle Turtle.
:lol:
Ok, here are a few of the details.
Haul Master model 94564 deck shortened 2" center of axle @ 62.5" from front of deck (stock location @ 64.5)
Body 96" long, 52" tall, 67.75' wide.
Center wind jack!

I have also drawn plans for a version with fenders of simple tube/angle frame, Torsion Axle Bolt-On Stub Spindle, A-Frame Trailer Coupler, Top Wind Jack, 205/60R15 wheel/tire combo. Body 96" long, 48" tall, 60" wide, just so the sides can be made from standard sized plywood. Oh, and 1" radius on all inside corners. Inside height of only about 38"but it makes up for it in width and keeps the profile better.

This is most likely the trailer I'll build for myself after I finish the Sidewinder later this year.
A little preview below.

Mike, I do not have anything in ACIS. I am working in VCarve Pro mainly(EPS, DXF, AI) and Adobe PhotoDeluxe, Photoshop 7, and MS/Paint sometimes. EPS and DXF transfer well over the net and I'll be happy to send you what I have and make adjustments or corrections where needed.
Wolf
Teardrop Master

Postby grant whipp » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:04 am

Wolf wrote:... it's been a real noddle twister to get it too look correct with a "stock" Harbor Freight trailer, small wheels and high deck height ...

So, here's a couple of thoughts:

1.) Simply hide the wheels, a la CabinCar, with a hinged panel that looks like just another panel in the side ... eliminates the hassle of trying to cut that swoopy wheelwell curve and making the attending molding.

2.) Move the bottom of the door(s) and the attending molding line down to the level of the top of the frame, then take the middle molding line and move it down half that much (center it up) and that will probably make room for a common 12x18 crank-out window.
(Moving the bottom of the door down is a visual thing, fooling the eye into thinking the door is taller than it is, and closing the door against the floor framing will be no big deal ... if it were me, though, I wouldn't do a built-up floor anyway, and get a couple more inches of head room)

Finally, a design that hides that ugly HF frame. I'll be waiting to see some of these made ... :thumbsup: ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Return to Member Designs