First ideas of nooby noob

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

First ideas of nooby noob

Postby mallymal » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:07 pm

I’m very inexperienced here, so would welcome your feedback…
(please be gentle with me)

• Starting point is the chassis of a UK style tent trailer, which has a 5’ wide floor, but wheels inset.
• Plan to build oversized tear as I’m 6’4” which will have a raised bed board to sit just above the top of the inner wheel arches.
• This will create a storage space which will be accessed via a reasonable sized hatch in the bedboard for occasional use, and via a tiny exterior hatch for everyday use.
• Galley will be very simple, with floor to ceiling bulkhead, and designed deep enough & high enough to accommodate an electric ice box I already have.
• Outline shape is quite similar to the T@B (thanks Mike for excellent profile), which I’ve shrunk and then reversed.

In my album, I've uploaded 2 pix... Pic one shows crude rendering of the design, pic 2 overlays the trailer I am starting with. If I use the chassis unmodified, the axle position will be a little far forward compared to many other designs.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:46 pm

:thumbsup: Looks good Mal. Just remember to keep that balance in mind as you go. Now get in there and :hammer: Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 pm

MM, it looks like you have a good plan....but I believe, you will need to move the axle back or it may become impossible to achieve proper balance and saftey...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby satch » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:16 pm

(please be gentle with me)

:lol: Yea, O.K (kidd'n) MJ is right you should move it back. Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what MadJack....err, I mean we are here for!btw welcome to the jungle Bro 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby mallymal » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. The balance/axle position issue is interesting.

Based on everythjing I've seen on this site, of course you're right, and I obviously want to follow the classic American style for looks AND safety.

But it's hard to visualise the options as in the UK, literally every traiker you see, whether it's a cargo trailer, a travel trailer (caravan as we say) or tent trailer (trailer tent! we say) the axle is always bang in the middle. And even yhe weediest little tent trailers have corner steadies, to prvent rocking when parked up.

Am I right in assuming that the main weight & balance issue with a tear that the galley carries a disproportionate amount of weight? My own tent trailer, which I may well canibalise for bits, has a very heavy lift off galley (a stupid design, as it's a struggle even for 2 people). Then a whole bunch of poles & canvas spread evenly front to back, so I guess with that design too, the unit is back heavy.

Is the balance thing mainly an issue when towing or is that you don't use corner legs/jacks when you park up, so you need the axle further back to let the unit "freestand".

I suspect I might just Ebay the old tent trailer - probably worth $600 and spend the cash on a shiny new trailer with wheels in correct place. MMMM, some thinking to do! :thinking:
mallymal
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs