TrailBoss

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

TrailBoss

Postby wlivesey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:09 pm

Hello everyone, I've taken a crack at designing my own TTT. My intent is to have a trailer that is roomy, comfortable and off-road capable. Though the trailer will be off-road capable, it will also be used on long road trips that involve no off-road travel at all.

Here are some images of what I'm calling the "TrailBoss". Please let me know what you think. As always your input is greatly appreciated.

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Russ in California » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:26 pm

I like it. I too am trying to put together one for the 'bush'. Lots of that around here. Might have to keep an eye on your design. Looks quite promising.
8)

p.s. is that an FJ towing the trailer. (read: IH8MUD.COM)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks Russ! Yes, That's an FJ... I was pleased to find an FJ model in the 3D warehouse.

I thought I would point out a couple of features included in my design.

2 Inch Thick Fully insulated walls. (http://www.tigerfoam.com/)
Forward leaning front makes for a comfortable, slightly angled headboard.
Minimal cabinetry to reduce weight and increase storage flexibility.
Overall height is low enough to fit in my garage.
Air conditioning (I'm in Texas - gotta have it)
4inch super strong chassis.
Entry/Exit doors on both sides.
Straight angle galley hatch for easier build (and rugged looks)
Queen sized matress.

I'm working on some nerf/rock sliders for the design now... I should have a pic posted soon.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:39 pm

The trailer I building on has a squared off back and a half-hatch opening back door/roof in the galley area. I did the same thing with the front of my trailer - have a sloping back rest to lean against when setting up reading or watching a movie or TV inside the trailer while parked. It works GREAT at LCG III. 8)

:thumbsup:

Pat

PS: My camp Buddies approve :lol: Image
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:47 pm

Great design!! Looks very do-able.

When ya going to start?

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Russ in California » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:52 pm

4" tubing? Square?
Great googly moogly. Man, that's stout. Why so big? You must have some serious corrugation in mind to run on.
I do like the angular idea. A little easier to whip up I'd imagine.
With the rock sliders in mind, are you going to run the rocks also?
I don't have that in mind but I will pull it down some darn rough trails if I can.
Some times, the harder the trail the more rewarding the end destination.
What about your cooler? In the trailer or the TV?
I think I may keep mine in the TV(I have a Norcold 12V chest type for 4wheeling already). Larry Sorrensen said in the trailer, the ice, ice block acted like a masher on the harsh roads. Sounds about right and I already have the fridge in my Land Cruiser.
One more observation: that insulation looks like some serious coin. Worth it?
There you go...
8)
12V Purist
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby ARKPAT » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:05 am

Yep ! To Me the INSULATION is a BIG PLUS and worth it. I heated my trailer at LCG III ( 38 degrees outside ) with a Laptop ( because some dummy - ME forgot the heater ). Also it worked VERY well in the direct Sunlite in SUMMER 95 degrees SUN with a Air Conditioner and 66 degrees inside. :D

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve F » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:16 am

4" tubing is indeed massive!!! 4"x1"?

We get camper trailers down here in Oz with frames that are 4" (Well the drawbar) but the trailer can weigh close to 2000kg not the 490kg that mine does.

I also thought about sliders but went against them because of the weight and what I thought might be the hassle of climbing over them to get in and out. Ended up making sure the walls sat on top of the frame so the frame acts as a slider and then used aluminum diamond plate to protect the lower sections of the walls.

Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Russ in California » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:31 am

Right-o Steve. But then again, I'm not building a Kimberly Kamper(wouldn't mind having one though).
Sure enough tracks like the Cape or maybe the Canning can grind a trailer but here in the 'good ole' US, not so much. Still, we do have some rough tracks.
I believe I'm going with 2x2 with .125" wall, 2x2 cross members and a 3'' tongue ala Larry Sorrensen. I like yours quite a bit.
Just might have to steal some ideas from you if you don't mind.
There you go...

8)
12V Purist
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:19 am

I'm not a big fan of the 4in chassis either. I saw it mentioned somewhere in the forum and no one balked about it so I thought it might be the way to go. I want it rigid, with no flex, but I don't want to be an idiot about it either. What do you guys recommend for a rigid off-road capable chassis?

Insulation - It will be worth every penny to me... I want that thing cool in the summer and warm in the winter - no excuses. That being said, I'll shop around for the best value on the spray in stuff. The link above was just food for thought.

Hopefully I can get started on this thing in the next month or so. I've got to get my Casita cleaned up and sold before I get started. (I'd like to stay married)
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby PaulC » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:25 am

I built mine using 50mmx50mmx3mm(you can convert that :lol: Everyone down here called it the tank. Final weight was just on 600kg(about 1200 in your language) Way too heavy. Number 2 was built using 50x25x3. Beautiful.

Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby wlivesey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:00 am

PaulC wrote:I built mine using 50mmx50mmx3mm(you can convert that :lol: Everyone down here called it the tank. Final weight was just on 600kg(about 1200 in your language) Way too heavy. Number 2 was built using 50x25x3. Beautiful.

Thats roughly 2in x 1in by .118in merkin.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:05 am

Steve F wrote:4" tubing is indeed massive!!! 4"x1"?
I also thought about sliders but went against them because of the weight and what I thought might be the hassle of climbing over them to get in and out. Ended up making sure the walls sat on top of the frame so the frame acts as a slider and then used aluminum diamond plate to protect the lower sections of the walls.

I thought the sliders might make it easier to get my kayaks on and off the roof - also with my external fenders I thought they might need a little protection from rocks etc. That being said, they would add weight, expense and make getting in an out of the trailer more difficult.

Maybe move the wheels inside the chassis??? That would make for an even wider trailer since I want to keep my queen sized mattress.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Russ in California » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:27 am

wlivesey wrote:
Steve F wrote:4" tubing is indeed massive!!! 4"x1"?

I thought the sliders might make it easier to get my kayaks on and off the roof - also with my external fenders I thought they might need a little
protection from rocks etc. That being said, they would add weight, expense and make getting in an out of the trailer more difficult.
Maybe move the wheels inside the chassis??? That would make for an even wider trailer since I want to keep my queen sized mattress.

All good ideas. I'll just point out that when asked what one would do over on a second tear, a common answer is not make it so heavy. Moving the wheels inboard will encroach on the internal sleeping area. Might make for a good place to put a cup of water though. :D
I like the way Steve F. has his half in, half out but I think I'll keep mine all the way out the maximize the sleeping area. I want that queeny also.

Hey Steve, what about that? How bad does the wheel well encroach?
If this is not to be your first and only tear , you might consider going as light as possible without compromising your minimum standards. Remember K.I.S.S. (keep it simple silly)
"...I'm just sayin".
There your go...
8)
12V Purist
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve F » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Mine has a queen bed down to around the knees where you don't need the space as much and then the wheel wells come in. No problems at all and last time I used it three of us slept comfortably in sleeping bags in there (me and my kids who are 9 and 11). Basically as long as you have plenty of room at the shoulders you can forgo a little at the legs and not notice it :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Member Designs