Floor Plan

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Floor Plan

Postby Mark McD » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:12 pm

I've been working on my floor plan a bit while I wait for materials.
Since I know what I need and want, I've started designing my build from the inside out. Anyhow, this is where I'm at now

Trailer based on a 6'4" x 9'10" frame
Cabin 6'6" wide x 6'0" high x 12'0"
Sleeps 5
Form may take a punch in the nose on the profile. I needas much space as I can get.
All ideas welcome.
Last edited by Mark McD on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby shopfabricator » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Standie, Standie, Standie.... Gotta Love'm :) :thumbsup:
...materials can no longer be purchaced at quite those prices mentioned here!
shopfabricator
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:31 pm

:thumbsup: Looks good. You might work on making the bunk system into a counter when not in use. Curtains work to close off the bed areas from the porta potty at night. :thumbsup: I thought about using accordion doors but cheaped out. :oops: I might still do it.

I really love the bunk system turning to double. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mark McD » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Tweaked the floor plan to avoid the potti room door from hanging up on the gaucho. Seems like an easier solution than having to make a sliding door or some other typ eof non-swinging door.
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby RogHodge » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:31 am

You still have room for a large upper bunk on the 'right' side- above the dinnette or a row a of cabinets
Ohh Ohh or both- :twisted: I’ve seen them in many trailers- the face frame folds down and you sleep ‘in’ the cabinet- Someone with more skills than I could design it I’m sure
Great design BTW
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark McD » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Roger,
I've thought about adding an additional bunk above the gaucho 'cuz it's so much more fun for kids to sleep in a bunk. Then I realized the placement of my window won't allow me to add one. I'm thinking about building a compact3 type design with a pop up top so I may add bunks up there. Still in th eplanning stages
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby Mark McD » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Roger,
I've thought about adding an additional bunk above the gaucho 'cuz it's so much more fun for kids to sleep in a bunk. Then I realized the placement of my window won't allow me to add one. I'm thinking about building a compact3 type design with a pop up top so I may add bunks up there. Still in th eplanning stages
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby xrover » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:58 pm

What about slider that come out of the front like the top of a truck cab to form a bunk up high. Gives you the added benefit of a covered area outside the trailer.

I drew a line art picture ( 70's 3270 type) but it did not post well.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Ummm… You could move the window? Since you are still in the planning stage. My $.02 seems that pop-up, slide out and anything that replicates the behavior of a transformer adds a ton of complexity- probably weight and cost as well- unless those are not considerations
PS love the mini- I had a '66 fun fun
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby mk10108 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:40 pm

I'll go on a limb and suffer the TD wrath and say go with the pop up rectangular box

Here's why. The more I read post of the multiple TD builders the larger the campers get. At some point one moves into the full sized campers but a pop up is the natural progression of a small trailer and stays well within small trailer weight limitations.

I'm exploring the pop up side in truck camper (All Terrain and Four Wheel Campers). Extend the sides to the trailer, enclose the cab over and you have loads of room, can stand up and still have that cozy TD feeling.
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby AJ Alley » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:26 am

mk10108 "I'll go on a limb ..."

I have looked into this idea also regarding my gear box idea on another post. What I like about it is that of course it works in the truck bed and is light weight but a 4' x 8' T.S. no floor trailer could be fitted with permanent side gear boxes and the unit could easily slide in & out (even maybe at camp), it also allows for a low profile to transport our kayaks

Have you looked at this one. http://www.livinlite.com/camper-overview.php
AJ Alley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark McD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:47 am

Ummm… You could move the window? Since you are still in the planning stage. My $.02 seems that pop-up, slide out and anything that replicates the behavior of a transformer adds a ton of complexity- probably weight and cost as well- unless those are not considerations
PS love the mini- I had a '66 fun fun

Roger,
At this stage the placement of my windows seems to be set given the fact that they are five feet wide. Moving them foward would give me another headache wherein the door would have to moved- unlike Andrew's Compact 3 design where the door is located in the rear, mine will be curbside. (I'm using windows salvaged from an old truck cap-14"x 60", tinted tempered sliders and of course-free!)

I wish I had a '66 Mini. The '60s Minis were the best. Unfortunately, like yourself, I no longer own a Mini. Someone else is driving,loving, and- I'm sure- scaring the pants off any passenger willing to go for a ride!

My next wheeled project , besides the camper, will be a 1974 Honda CJ 360T ,(motorcycle),I'm going to turn into a cafe racer.

What about slider that come out of the front like the top of a truck cab to form a bunk up high. Gives you the added benefit of a covered area outside the trailer.

I drew a line art picture ( 70's 3270 type) but it did not post well

Rover,
I have thought about a "reefer" type bunk on other designs but the Compact 3 has a relatively low cabin height, when the top isn't up, so the bunk would be low,almost the same height as the dinette.
I have also thought about a slider. Building one wouldn't be a problem but the cost becomes an issue. The mechanism(s),extra siding, wood, aluminum, ,mouldings, etc, would make any space gained expensive.I'm trying to keep it cheap- I really only need to sleep three people but would like to have additional room for my niece to come along on campouts.

I'll go on a limb and suffer the TD wrath and say go with the pop up rectangular box

Here's why. The more I read post of the multiple TD builders the larger the campers get. At some point one moves into the full sized campers but a pop up is the natural progression of a small trailer and stays well within small trailer weight limitations.

Mk,
The Compact 3 is indeed a box. I have built td's before and will always love them but with this camper I need function. Not to say td's aren't functional, I doubt that any design could be made more functional than a td, physics just allow for more space inside of a box than egg. Plus, it's easier and quicker to build with staright lines and right angles.

As far as progression from smaller tt to larger ones go- I 'm actually downgrading. Started out camping with the family in the '70s in a pop-up, then a 20 ft tt, then a 30 ft rv, then a 50 ft fifth wheel, then a 50 ft park model. You get the picture. Over the years I realized I was spending more time maintaining the trailers than I was having fun just camping.So now I'm going for low-frills. I just want something cheap,comfortable, and good looking.

Thanx for all your input guys. :thumbsup:
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby mk10108 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:07 pm

AJ Alley wrote:mk10108 "I'll go on a limb ..."

I have looked into this idea also regarding my gear box idea on another post. What I like about it is that of course it works in the truck bed and is light weight but a 4' x 8' T.S. no floor trailer could be fitted with permanent side gear boxes and the unit could easily slide in & out (even maybe at camp), it also allows for a low profile to transport our kayaks

Have you looked at this one. http://www.livinlite.com/camper-overview.php

Nice...and I agree with the overall mission of the manufacture, however i prefer the pop up truck camper style with minimal canvas, more installation, a bit more cozy.
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Return to Member Designs