New Design - Euro Symetrical

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

New Design - Euro Symetrical

Postby stomperxj » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:13 am

Well I posted a thread a while back asking for info on a small trailer being towed by a goofy little car. I decided to draw it up in CAD and see how it looked. Side profile can be cut from a 4x8 sheet. No side windows or doors yet and there is some framing missing but you get the idea. The floor is built up with 2xs so there are no fenderwells to take up bed space.

Overall height = 5'-0"~
Interior height = 36"
Bed length = 6'-8"~
Bed width = 4'-10"
8" wheels

stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Mark McD » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:37 am

Stomper,
I like it . Kinda looks like a mini Wazat.
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby Dewi » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:44 am

Where do you find the time to do all these designs? And how did you get so good in SketchUp?

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby stomperxj » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:42 am

Dewi wrote:Where do you find the time to do all these designs? And how did you get so good in SketchUp?

Cheers, Dewi

Dewi-
I do all my drawings in Autocad and just render them in sketchup. I have been a CAD guy for about 12 years so I have a little practice

:)
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Dewi » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Ah, that makes me feel a little better then... I've barely done 12 hours yet :lol:

Just looked up AutoCAD on Google and in the sidebar it says 'AutoCAD LT only £970!'... I think I might have to save a few pennies and actually learn more about it before I plan a purchase then :thinking:

I know this might be a bit of a daft question, but would you be able to do designs like that in SketchUp? I mean is it capable of doing that type of stuff in that detail?

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby stomperxj » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:26 pm

Dewi wrote:Ah, that makes me feel a little better then... I've barely done 12 hours yet :lol:

Just looked up AutoCAD on Google and in the sidebar it says 'AutoCAD LT only £970!'... I think I might have to save a few pennies and actually learn more about it before I plan a purchase then :thinking:

I know this might be a bit of a daft question, but would you be able to do designs like that in SketchUp? I mean is it capable of doing that type of stuff in that detail?

Cheers, Dewi

I have seen some people do pretty nice work in Sketchup. I am so used to doing it in Autocad that Sketchup seems a little rudimentary and backwards. If you take your time and separate things onto layers you should be able to do some pretty nice drawings in it. I think the "pro" version of Sketchup is way more cost effective than buying Autocad. Plus Autocad has a steep learning curve.
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Creamcracker » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:35 pm

I really like the proportions on that. It looks like you've flipped the design lengthwise so that the big window is at the front rather than the rear. I can see the sense in doing that. Do you envisage the botton part of the side to be an additional plywood piece that covers the crossways 2xs?
How do you see that piece being joined?
Thanks for the idea,
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby stomperxj » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Creamcracker wrote:I really like the proportions on that. It looks like you've flipped the design lengthwise so that the big window is at the front rather than the rear. I can see the sense in doing that. Do you envisage the botton part of the side to be an additional plywood piece that covers the crossways 2xs?
How do you see that piece being joined?
Thanks for the idea,
Philip

Thanks CC

Yes I flipped the window to the front so a galley could be added. The whole side can be cut from a 4x8 sheet. Some framing might need to be added at the bottom to stiffen up the skirt part of the side...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Rem » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:06 pm

I have started aquiring material for this design back when you posted pics the first time in another thread. Doors will be wide enough for a mobility scooter Have a sun-roof for the front window and tinted bus windows for the sides. Small crank outs for the doors. Frame comes from an old apache tent trailer. I hadn't planned for a galley though, maybe. I figured mostly a comfortable bed with radio,dvd lights etc primarily it will be a garage for the mobility scooter
rem
Rem
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs