Northwestern Build

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Northwestern Build

Postby wlivesey » Sat May 02, 2009 7:03 pm

I finally decided to build myself a trailer. I'm jumping in with both feet and building a Winter Warrior inspired ttt! :D

Here is the basic plan.

Friday was a good day.

Saturday was even better.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Re: Northwestern Build

Postby starleen2 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:10 pm

wlivesey wrote:I finally decided to build myself a trailer. I'm jumping in with both feet and building a Winter Warrior inspired ttt! :D

Here is the basic plan.

Friday was a good day.

Saturday was even better.

Cool - we always need another - looks like you've got a good little supervisor.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Slag » Sat May 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Very cool :thumbsup:

Side note: the build is going well on the trailer I picked up from you.
Slag
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wlivesey » Sat May 02, 2009 7:28 pm

That's great - I'm glad to hear it! You sure didn't waste any time getting started, did you... Do you have a build thread?
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Sat May 02, 2009 7:41 pm

starleen2 wrote:Cool - we always need another - looks like you've got a good little supervisor.
Thanks! It looks like my build is going to be a lot like yours. I'll try to learn from your mistakes! :o

That's Boss, he keeps a watchful eye on things and makes sure I take plenty of breaks to scratch his ears.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:45 pm

wlivesey wrote:
starleen2 wrote:Cool - we always need another - looks like you've got a good little supervisor.
Thanks! It looks like my build is going to be a lot like yours. I'll try to learn from your mistakes! :o

That's Boss, he keeps a watchful eye on things and makes sure I take plenty of breaks to scratch his ears.

If you dont want any extra grief - don't go for a compound bow on the radius - IMO They don't make a plywood that bends in that shape!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Slag » Sat May 02, 2009 7:45 pm

wlivesey wrote:That's great - I'm glad to hear it! You sure didn't waste any time getting started, did you... Do you have a build thread?

Not yet. Waiting for the rain to stop :cry:
Slag
Teardrop Inspector

Welding up the tongue

Postby wlivesey » Sun May 03, 2009 8:09 pm

After a LOT of measuring and double checking and measuring again and triple checking today. Once I was satisfied, I finally went ahead and burned the tongue onto the box.

The axle went on pretty fast. I spent so much time getting the frame square that it was pretty easy to get it lined up.

Boss is happy, so I'm happy.

I sure do like the alloys. Not bad for $86/each. Tire included!

I'll probably spend the rest of the week finishing up a lot of little details on the frame. I've got to weld on tabs for bolting the body to the frame. I've also got to get my stabilizer jacks and wire looms in place. After that, a little paint and I'll get started on the floor.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby cordes56 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:44 am

Looks good so far....I'm also in the planning stages of my trailer, where did you purchase the wheels and tires for such a good deal? Did you purchase all the parts together like the axel, tires, wheels and hangars from one supplier?
cordes56
Teardrop Builder

Postby starleen2 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:22 am

Are you planning on using electric brakes (I see a hub behind the wheel). Be sure to knock on that dut cap as well - looking good so far :thumbsup: The Boss has a new backscrather
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby wlivesey » Mon May 04, 2009 4:47 pm

cordes56 wrote:Looks good so far....I'm also in the planning stages of my trailer, where did you purchase the wheels and tires for such a good deal? Did you purchase all the parts together like the axel, tires, wheels and hangars from one supplier?

Thanks! I purchased all of the trailer hardware off the shelf at my local Northern Tool & Equipment. I wanted to make sure everything could be easily replaced on the road. I figured this was the best way...
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Mon May 04, 2009 4:52 pm

starleen2 wrote:Are you planning on using electric brakes (I see a hub behind the wheel). Be sure to knock on that dut cap as well - looking good so far :thumbsup: The Boss has a new backscrather

Yes I do. The electric brakes are already installed. I'm building my trailer to I can drag it down some rugged mountain roads and trails so I think the brakes are a good idea.

I haven't put the dust caps on yet because I suspect I will take the hubs back off before I'm done. I'll cover them up with a nice duct tape cap in the mean time. :)
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Mon May 04, 2009 8:29 pm

great start -- nice job welding the trailer! :thumbsup:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wlivesey » Mon May 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Thanks. I really enjoy welding...

I managed to get my stabilizers mounted this evening. I made some brackets out of 2x3 box. I cut the box in half to make u-shaped 2x1.5 brackets.

They fit better than I expected...

I had to make the forward mounting brackets out of full 2x3 box. The 2x2 cross member isn't tall enough to properly attach the stabilizer without getting creative. I attached the 2x3 box flush with the top of the 2x2 crossmember.

On to mounting points and/or gussets...
Last edited by wlivesey on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Tue May 05, 2009 7:36 pm

Alright, I've got a question. I'm thinking of having the body overhang the frame by about 9.25 inches. My question is - Are the 2 inch angle iron tabs and 2x4 wall blocks, modeled below, going to provide enough support to keep my 3/4 inch plywood floor from flexing? If not, what would you recommend???

I've looked at Compact design plans and they just have a long angle iron support on the very front and rear.

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Member Designs