Golden State Teardrop

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Golden State Teardrop

Postby 01Sport » Mon May 04, 2009 2:22 pm

I am finally getting around to posting pics of my teardrop. I started it on April 20, 2008 and had it about 90 some % done by the last weekend in February to go on a church campout to Death Valley. I took about 3 months off when my son was born so it took me about 7 months total to get this far, that was working mostly LONG Sundays. I still have a few things to complete, like painting my fenders, gas struts in the galley, installing the radio, finish the handles for the galley...but it works for now.

I had the frame built in November of 2007 in N. CA by a guy that lives by my dad. He's young and likes to fabricate so I gave him my specs and he welded it for me. It is 5.5' x 10' and has a, I think, 2,000 lb axle, maybe more, I'm drawing a blank. I have Jeep wheels on it with 205 75R15's or something like that. I had a Wrangler that was going to pull it but it was sold last year. Good thing, cause the Tahoe pulls it much better. After about 5 months sitting in my garage, it was time to start building. I drew up my plans after looking and reading a lot here. I'm 6'4" so I designed it around me and my wife who is 5'10". It was a HUGE pain to go 5.5' wide because of the aluminum, but the extra space inside is very nice. I have a queen size mattress inside from Ikea. So much better than a deflating air mattress in a tent. :thumbdown: Anyway, it was a great project and have ideas for number 2, sometime in the future. If you have any questions, let me know. I'm posting a few photos here, the rest can be found in my album. I took about 800 pics of it so I have pretty much everything photographed.

Some specs on it. I sealed the bottom with Henry's asphault emulsion. Seems to have worked well. It has solid 9 ply baltic birch for walls and 1/4" for the ceiling and roof. All interior is finished with Minwax Matte Urethane. The aluminum is from SAF shipped from Atlanta. The sides are .040 and the top is .063. I cut it all with my router and flush bit...the bit was for wood, but it worked quite nicely. It is wired for 12v and the 110 will eventually get finished, no hurry on that. I used all 12g wire. 2 interior lights in the cabin, 2 in the galley, one on the front and one on each side. I used Radio Shack rocker switches. I use a 5w solar panel from Harbor Freight to help keep the battery topped off. I have plans for more w's though, maybe on a roof rack. I had the home insulation sitting around from a dog house project so I used it. I did build a box in the floor but I don't know how much it will get used, but it will be nice to have I guess.

Some things I would do differently, after only using it 2 times. Make the back profile come straight down, not curved. The intended latch idea is still in progress because of the angle. Going wide? I'd probably just build over the wheels, not set on that one though. Make the hatch lighter, that thing is a beast. Probably a few other things. Possibly insulated walls. Learn how to weld so I can make what I want for the frame.

I do have a couple questions. The top corner of my doors don't sit flush so I get air coming in and it won't be good when the rain comes. Anybody have a solution on getting that to sit flush? I have pics of it so if you need a visual, let me know. I also need gas struts for my galley, the ones I have from Mcmaster, I don't think they will work. The hatch is heavy and they are temporarily being held up by metal conduit, I just don't feel safe like that. I think I also need longer ones. This is the last bit I will not enjoy.

Our first camping trip.

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon this summer with family, that should be fun.

Anyway, there it is. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. And thank you all for everything, could not have done it without this site.

K.C.
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby High Desert » Mon May 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Looks really nice! Congrats on the completion, I bet you're looking forward to this summer :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:05 pm

WOW! Really nice.

Thanks for the pics.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon May 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Nice job. Your little dude is going to love camping in it. I look forward to seeing your Grand Canyon trip as that is one that we are planning as well.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 01Sport » Mon May 04, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to go camping with my boy more, one reason I built it.

I need to be better at posting pics of the trailer, as you can see, it took me over a year to post any of the build :thumbdown: :thinking: :? :D
K.C.

01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 04, 2009 10:08 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woohoo: :beautiful:

You have made a beautiful Teardrop for the little one to inherit. 8) Enjoy and please remember to share that trip......... :twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby 01Sport » Tue May 05, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks Miriam.
K.C.

01Sport
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs