The Menehune Swoop

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

The Menehune Swoop

Postby green_eyed_diablito » Sun May 17, 2009 12:18 am

the adventure begins! i have finalized a design (that is, until i start cutting plywood...things may change before that :thinking: ). i jot down ideas as they come and redraw sections as i change my mind, but this is where the design is now. i'll start looking for a trailer now so i can get started (possibly HF, possibly have one made).

ideally, i would like to find an axle from an older car so i could use standard steel wheels, nice hubcaps, and wide whites.

i want reading lights and one overhead light in the cabin as well as working lights in the galley, so i will install a 12V deep cycle battery and a solar panel trickle charger (will also carry a Battery Tender in case i need i quicker charge).

feel free to share your thoughts with me. thanks!

Since this life here and now is all we can know, our most reasonable option is to live it fully.
ImageImage
green_eyed_diablito
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:51 am

At least the plans are on paper! :lol: it looks like a good start
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GregB » Sun May 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Mahalo, little craftsperson. Good start, your design looks a lot like Len's Slumbercoach, now in Belgium somewhere. Its a beautiful design.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Alan Wood » Sun May 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Looks pretty interesting there. The angled drawer fronts will limit your drawer building options though :thinking:
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby green_eyed_diablito » Sun May 17, 2009 3:42 pm

GregB wrote:Mahalo, little craftsperson. Good start, your design looks a lot like Len's Slumbercoach, now in Belgium somewhere. Its a beautiful design.

GB

thanks!
miriam pointed out the similarity to the slumbercoach too - and showed me pics. i was happy to see the slumbercoach because i wasn't sure if the angled hatch (as opposed to a curvy hatch) would be appealing to the eye. to my relief, it looked very good on the slumbercoach!
Since this life here and now is all we can know, our most reasonable option is to live it fully.
ImageImage
green_eyed_diablito
Teardrop Master

n

Postby Trackstriper » Sun May 17, 2009 3:45 pm

While you might be able to find an old car axle to keep things in the true vintage mode, it could be more work than it's worth. You can probably get a standard (or dropped) trailer axle with hubs of suitable bolt circle diameter to be able to mount up most any kind of standard steel auto wheels. Standard trailer springs, standard U bolts, standard hangers, etc. ....electric brakes if you want them. Or consider a torsion axle. Might make life a little easier.

Nice design. :thumbsup:
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby green_eyed_diablito » Sun May 17, 2009 3:52 pm

Alan Wood wrote:Looks pretty interesting there. The angled drawer fronts will limit your drawer building options though

the drawers will take a little more work than conventional drawers (it's just a matter of cutting them at an angle instead of 90-degrees), but it will be worth the work. i did it for aesthetics, but also to make use of the otherwise wasted triangular space at the bottom of the galley.

what i'm still undecided on is the construction of the face frame for the lower cabinet. i always blind-dowel when i build cabinets, so i think i will drill for the blind-dowels first, then cut the edges of the rails and stiles at the appropriate angle. this way i can use the blind-doweling jig without worrying about the wood slipping in the jig. :thinking:
ImageImage
green_eyed_diablito
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Sun May 17, 2009 10:49 pm

I like the forward leaning front. :thumbsup: I've done something similar with my Northwestern Build.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=29883
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby green_eyed_diablito » Wed May 27, 2009 2:47 pm

wlivesey wrote:I like the forward leaning front. :thumbsup: I've done something similar with my Northwestern Build.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=29883

thanks! having the front angled out like that reminds me of the lines on cars of the '40s...swoopy!
ImageImage
green_eyed_diablito
Teardrop Master

Postby green_eyed_diablito » Wed May 27, 2009 2:55 pm

i found a trailer today. it's used HF trailer and it's in great shape. the tires are almost new, the paint is solid with no rust, and the wiring was doen sloppily. not that it matters much because i'm going to paint the frame black and run new wiring inside conduit. i will need to register it - any tips on that? below are pics from the craigslist ad.

i took a ride to see it during lunch today and liked it so much that i would have brought it with me, but i commute to work on two wheels. i'll drive my truck tomorrow so i can take the trailer home.

i'm excited! the adventure begins!

ImageImage
ImageImage
green_eyed_diablito
Teardrop Master

Postby green_eyed_diablito » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:02 pm

well, things didn't work out with the used trailer, so i bought a new HF 4'x8'. i really like the shade of red, so i won't be painting it.

i can't wait to start making sawdust!

ImageImage
green_eyed_diablito
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:03 pm

Let the saw dust fly!
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs