4x8 (sort of) for 4!

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

4x8 (sort of) for 4!

Postby fornesto » Wed May 27, 2009 5:08 pm

I got this idea after looking at the Drifta Kitchens out of Australia. This trailer would provide sleeping for two adults and two children (4' bunks). You could modify this to be wider (5') if you want. The galley is not in the back (sorry purists), but is on heavy duty slides coming out of a tongue box in the front. The tongue box is connected to the inside of the trailer and the main lower mattress (46" wide x 78" long) slides into the cavity left by the slider kitchen. This allows for a the bunk beds in the rear. Each of those mattresses is 30" wide x 46" long. With this design, you wouldn't need an operable rear hatch. The kitchen could be made to slide out in either direction to accommodate tricky camp sites. The main body of the cabin is 4'x8' and the tongue box sticks out 18". Thoughts?

fornesto
Donating Member

Postby stomperxj » Wed May 27, 2009 5:25 pm

Good lookin model... Only problem I see is your doors interfering with the slide out galley. You can do suicide doors but everyone here will discourage you from it. I know you don't show them on the model but I would also suggest stabilizer jacks at the front with all that weight hanging to one side...

Nice Sketchup work :thumbsup:
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 27, 2009 5:34 pm

That's kinda sorta a backwards Raindrop!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jagular7 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:57 am

I would be concerned with the weight distribution. The design has the 'looks' of a typical teardrop, but the design of a typical teardrop is so based on the weight distribution.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby rubyede » Thu May 28, 2009 8:26 am

I like it. That's thinking outside the box. Will the tongue weight be an issue? :thumbsup: Ruby
rubyede
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Thu May 28, 2009 9:24 am

I like it, too! You probably wouldn't need to move the axle back for this one. Great idea!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 28, 2009 10:31 pm

:thumbsup: Great idea. I think if you build the box light and load the heavy stuff after arrival it will be fine The bunks will make up for some of the weight difference. Definitely add 4 stabilizers.

Did you do a balance sheet. :thinking:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Member Designs