offroad mini caravan/camper finally started!

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

offroad mini caravan/camper finally started!

Postby chiefdog » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:40 am

Hi guys i have been thinking of building a small caravan or camper for some time now. i made a start finally and things seem to be going ok. if anyone is interested i will post some picks soon. i hope you guys dont dislike it too much as it is my first. :(
chiefdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:17 am

:applause: Of course we're interested. Post some picture please! I'm on first build, too.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby wlivesey » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:45 pm

aggie79 wrote::applause: Of course we're interested. Post some picture please! I'm on first build, too.

Tom

Just to clarify, post LOTS of pictures! Welcome to the madness...
wlivesey
The 300 Club

there are photos posted on my album

Postby chiefdog » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:41 am

i managed to put some photos on my album, being new at this i am not sure what i am doing and where things are going.sorry guys. any help would be great.

Image Picked this trailer up from Ebay. It's 10 x 6 heavy duty. It's got the same clearance as my 6inch lifted Patrol.

Image I cut down the frame to make a starting point of the van.

Image This is the basic frame & shape that it's going to become. That front cut out section is because there will be a draw type slide that comes out of the side as the bed runs across the front of the van.

Image The back is left open as a lift up door will be the entire width of the trailer to allow room for my ATV.

Image All of the studs of the frame are made from 19x19mm Meranti. The roof is open because there's going to be canvas pop top to allow standing room.
Last edited by chiefdog on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
chiefdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wlivesey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:47 am

Hey, That's looking really good. I think my next trailer (don't tell my wife) will be of steel construction. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby chiefdog » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:18 am

sorry mate i was not very clear with my description on the van but only the main support frames at the back, top and the front are steel. all of the rest of the frame are primed meranti 19mmx19mm. it needs to be strong as the places i want to take it will be quite rough. the patrol has a 6" suspension lift and the trailer has exactly the same clearence too. thanks for your kind words.
Sam
chiefdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hugh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:24 am

looks good, should be real nice when finished. Just curious, what is meranti?
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby chiefdog » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am

it is a type of timber here in australia that is very light wieght and water resistant, as well as being cheap too. quite a few caravan manufacturers use it instead of pine.
chiefdog
Teardrop Inspector

Getting there.

Postby chiefdog » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:08 am

Image The outside is sheeted with 9mm marine ply, under coated. It's stronger than I thought. It's very rigid.
Last edited by chiefdog on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiefdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve F » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 am

Where abouts in NSW are you (assuming I saw the plates right ;) )

Looking good :) You'll really appreciate it offroad, they are surprisingly tough.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby chiefdog » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:18 pm

i live near windsor mate, i enjoy going away on a regular basis but i am really fed up setting up tent and stuff. i am hoping that it shouldn't be too difficult to tow on the beach. time will tell i guess :worship: most people seem to agree that polystyrene is the way to go for insulation, would you know where to get it from?
chiefdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve F » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:25 pm

chiefdog wrote:i live near windsor mate, i enjoy going away on a regular basis but i am really fed up setting up tent and stuff. i am hoping that it shouldn't be too difficult to tow on the beach. time will tell i guess :worship: most people seem to agree that polystyrene is the way to go for insulation, would you know where to get it from?

I got mine from a place in Port Macquaire, they were the only ones that would cut it to the thickness I wanted, cost more to courier than buy but it was worth it :) If you're interested I'll look up the place.

I'm over at Mt Colah so just a stones throw from you.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby chiefdog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:33 am

hi steve i found a place that will deliver enough 20mm foam to my house for $160 hope that is ok eh :worship: i have been looking at your build and i think you have a sweet rig mate. i hope mine looks half as good as yours :applause: i also was thinking of diamond plating the front of mine. it really makes it look just that much more professional.
chiefdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chiefdog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:33 am

hi steve i found a place that will deliver enough 20mm foam to my house for $160 hope that is ok eh :worship: i have been looking at your build and i think you have a sweet rig mate. i hope mine looks half as good as yours :applause: i also was thinking of diamond plating the front of mine. it really makes it look just that much more professional.
chiefdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chiefdog » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:16 am

hi guys i was wondering if it is best to paint the final coloured coats with a spray gun or a paint roller?
chiefdog
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs