StandUpGuys Super Mini "Not A RV"

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:38 pm

What does the "not a RV" refer to? I must be missing something.
Becky :QM
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Oldragbaggers wrote:What does the "not a RV" refer to? I must be missing something.
Becky :QM
Its just a little fun because it has been said here that these little trailers are not supposed to be "RVs" Meaning flush toilets and showers do not belong. Since my concept is a ridiculously small trailer with a toilet and shower it seem appropriate.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby donrebyct » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:58 pm

I really like this, but I'm wondering if the tailgate should be covered by the tunnel canvas. My first thought was to slip the cover over the tailgate & secure with bungi cords. This would protect the inside of the tailgate while open at camp.

Setup would be a bit of a hassle, but this is a fascinating and inexpensive concept.
donrebyct
Teardrop Builder

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:35 pm

donrebyct wrote:I really like this, but I'm wondering if the tailgate should be covered by the tunnel canvas. My first thought was to slip the cover over the tailgate & secure with bungi cords. This would protect the inside of the tailgate while open at camp.

Setup would be a bit of a hassle, but this is a fascinating and inexpensive concept.
My tow vehicle is a mini van so I have the hatch back type door. I would think if you were doing a tail gate on your TV that your idea of surrounding the tail gate is the best. On my mini van there is a large rubber seal and I was thinking one could make a thin plywood shape that would follow the seal shape (like a donut) and sew that into the fabric tunnel. You could then manufacture some way to pull the form against the rubber seal and make a perfect connection. Probably bunge cord.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby donrebyct » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:42 pm

I've been thinking about building a foam/canvas slideout mounted in the van or SUV during camping season. At site, a flap or door on the camper would open and the slideout pulled out & attached to the camper. A folded up mattress could stay in the slideout all the time. Maybe simple castors could be mounted on the slideout to roll out of the TV.

Any thoughts?
donrebyct
Teardrop Builder

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm

donrebyct wrote:I've been thinking about building a foam/canvas slideout mounted in the van or SUV during camping season. At site, a flap or door on the camper would open and the slideout pulled out & attached to the camper. A folded up mattress could stay in the slideout all the time. Maybe simple castors could be mounted on the slideout to roll out of the TV.

Any thoughts?
I think that is a very intriguing idea. I was thinking before of something a little bit similar for a pick up truck camper. In my scenario the what would slide out would actually pivot so the wall of the slide out would end up as the floor on the ground. I am sure this makes no sense in words. Bottom line what would be horizontal in the truck bed would end up being verticle one deployed.

You should draw up your idea and post it here. I like your outside of the box thinking.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby donrebyct » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Another crazy idea. Would it be possible to build an accordian wall/ceiling to allow leaving the trailer premanently to the TV. The hatchback/tailgait would be removed for towing, no setup, instant camp.

Ideas???
donrebyct
Teardrop Builder

Re: StandUpGuys Super Mini "Not A RV"

Postby dmk_97 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:48 pm

I think this is a neat design. If you are worried about being able to move the vehicle, why not make the trailer independent, you already have the fold out bed, just need braces from the trailer tongue to support end. Then jacks on corners and you are good. Would unhook from car/truck to use.
dmk_97
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jstrubberg » Wed May 09, 2012 8:18 am

If you plan to leave the door open on your tow vehicle all the time, better come up with a way to cut power to the door chime and dome light, or you're gonna end up annoyed and with a dead battery!
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Sun May 13, 2012 6:50 pm

My Vibe wagon (which might work for something like this as well) is designed so that if you leave the doors or rear hatch open too long that the dome lights cut out on their own to keep the battery from going dead. You need to open another door or close and re-open one to get the light to come back on.

Was figuring that new mini-vans might be set up the same way.

With respect to the design itself...

I like it. Certainly an efficient use of the space in the TV.

The only problem I ever really have with set-ups like this, must like the SUV tents, is that you lose the use of the TV while camping unless you want to button everything up and re-connect it when you get back.

On the other hand, something like this could be combined with a toyhauler idea where you can fit a motorcycle in the trailer while hauling. Use that for getting around while camping instead of disconnecting the TV.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Re:

Postby Treeview » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 am

StandUpGuy wrote:I was thinking before of something a little bit similar for a pick up truck camper. In my scenario the what would slide out would actually pivot so the wall of the slide out would end up as the floor on the ground. I am sure this makes no sense in words. Bottom line what would be horizontal in the truck bed would end up being verticle one deployed.

You should draw up your idea and post it here. I like your outside of the box thinking.

Take a look at this:

http://www.kamparoo.com/

There are other motorcycle trailers that are the same.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Re: Re:

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:32 am

Treeview wrote:
StandUpGuy wrote:I was thinking before of something a little bit similar for a pick up truck camper. In my scenario the what would slide out would actually pivot so the wall of the slide out would end up as the floor on the ground. I am sure this makes no sense in words. Bottom line what would be horizontal in the truck bed would end up being verticle one deployed.

Take a look at this:

http://www.kamparoo.com/

There are other motorcycle trailers that are the same.

Tom

Yeah that is pretty cool but it is not in anyway the same is it? Though it is using part from inside to end up on the ground. In that sense it is the same. Somewhere in there is an idea.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby donrebyct » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:40 am

I still wonder if a flexible tube/tunnel could be built that would give some insulation and security, and be able to bend or flex as needed :thinking: ? It would be easier with a single wheel trailer to just have vertical movement. A single wheel trailer would also be good that are trailer backing impaired. :oops:

This would be for a permanent, at least for the season, connection with the tailgate removed.
donrebyct
Teardrop Builder

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:48 pm

A single wheeled trailer is not going to be any easier to back up. It is still going to pivot and I think it actually could be worse because the trailer would be short and a short trailer makes it harder not easier.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby donrebyct » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:09 pm

Single wheel trailers use a two point hitch; they don't pivot except vertically. The single wheel rotates, making them very easy to back up.

The Double Hitch web site has the wheel strut to build your own. They state the trailers can be up to 8 ft long, and can be built with two single wheel assemblies for added load and maybe more stability.

Do a search on single wheels to see what I'm talking about.
donrebyct
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs