Trailer for Motorcycler

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Trailer for Motorcycler

Postby nomad » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:19 pm

I am glad to find this site from a motorcycle trailer towing forum.
As you guys know that motorcycle is not as strong a car, but it runs at high speed, so a trailer for a motorcycle is mostly small, or pop-up camper. My question is, Is there any plan, or anyone has built a tear-drop, and some kinds of hardshell trailer for motorcycle?
Thanks MUCH for any info.
Nomad
nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:29 pm

Frank Maddox built a fold-out camper to tow behind his motorcycle:

You can get the plans from Frank's Camper page or I did a version in CAD on my web site.

We just had a discussion about motorcycle campers, so you should look for that thread.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby nomad » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:32 pm

Thanks MUCH Andrew,
I have seen many fold-out trailers like this, but I have a thought about a hardshell trailer that will be pulled by a motorcycle.
My thought is why not have a pop-up hard wall trailer, instead of canvas.
I hope I will get some ideas, or info.
I bought an HF trailer 4x4, and I just look at it every day, but I haven't gotten any ideas of how to design it yet.
Thanks again to share the idea.
Nomad
nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bledsoe3 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Look at Roly's 215lb tear. You can see it here. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=4822&highlight=spamboree
It should be just right for a motorcycle. Jim
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby nomad » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:42 am

Thanks MUCH for the info.
It looks good, but a completed one would be heavy enough for a motorcycle struggling when going uphill. :cry:
My motorcycle has around 60s HP, and I am not sure it can pull a trailer more than 500 lbs comfortably.
One question tho, what is the lightest materials that can be used to built trailer? Sorry for my little knowledge about trailer, I don't know the right word for the outter skin.
Nomad
nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:00 pm

nomad wrote:One question tho, what is the lightest materials that can be used to built trailer?

Vintage trailers in Britain had wooden frames approx 1" thick (but made well, with proper joints, out of good wood) at around 16-18" centers, skinned on the inside with 1/8" plywood and on the outside with 18 guage aluminum. You could argue that the aluminum skin didn't do much to hold up the body, it just stopped the water getting in and looked nice.

60hp was a lot of power for a car then!

1/8" plywood both sides of 3/4" (1x) framing would be plenty strong enough (as long as you don't want to be able to kick your trailer without damaging it).

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby nomad » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:06 pm

Thanks Andrew,
I like to build the trialer with wood, but I am not sure that aluminum will be better (lighter) in some parts. I guess the frame woudl be wood, and the body is aluminum with insulation, and of course, a thin inside skin will be the ideal.
About the car, I guess I am living in the US so a car that has less than 100 HP is "weak", and of course I never know.
I am even thinking about a collapsible tear drop trailer, but I am still learning about the slide-out, and fold-in designs.
Too much to learn for a newbie. My main "problem" that I like to ride motorcycle, and the HP is limited. :)
Nomad
nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:51 am

Nomad,

Have you seen this thread about an old motorcycle trailer? A total trailer weight of 128lb would suit you, I think!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:24 am

nomad wrote:My motorcycle has around 60s HP, and I am not sure it can pull a trailer more than 500 lbs comfortably.Nomad

If you read my post, Roly's 1/4 nelson is only 215 lbs.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... =spamboree
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby nomad » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:41 am

bledsoe3 wrote:If you read my post, Roly's 1/4 nelson is only 215 lbs.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... =spamboree

Thanks to reminding me.
Yes, I've read the thread, and visited Roly's site. I hope that Roly will have details about this trailer.
For now, with the amount of wood, and the door is installed (not in the other thread), then I am not sure what is the real weight would be. ;)
The trailer is looked so beautiful, and for sure I will do more research about the materials. ONe thing that is vey important in my consideration is the profile, the lower the better. :)
Thanks again.
Nomad
nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nomad » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:53 am

angib wrote:Nomad,

Have you seen this thread about an old motorcycle trailer? A total trailer weight of 128lb would suit you, I think!

Andrew

Thanks MUCH Andrew,
That is what I am VERY interesting in. :applause:
I wish I have info about this trailer. I guess the frame is not as durable as any traler nowaday. My little trailer (4'x4') frame alone has a weight of 128 lbs already. :(
I am not sure what kind of materials that they used to built this "so light" trailer.
It is good to know that there is a trailer that light.
Nomad
nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shrug53 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:11 am

Have a look at these pictures. They are of a cartop sleeper clamshell.
I do not think you would have too much trouble modifying this to turn it in to a very low profile trailer. A lightwieght axle and small wheels, a few lights, and a little reinforcing, and I am guessing you could have a trailer you could pick up by yourself and lean against your garage wall.
No galley, or anything like that. You want to cook just throw a small camp stove or something like that in it. You could even put a small luggage rack on top for some gear.

By the way the plans for this sleeper should be on my site by tomorrow.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby nomad » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:57 am

Thanks SO MUCH!
That's awesome! :applause:
I am looking forward to see the plan on your site.
I hope I do something with this model.
Thanks again
Nomad
nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby derekxcole » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:02 pm

This may be of no help because I never got the name of the trailer but I will try to explain this.
I saw a trailer that is just a small box on wheels. It pops up and folds out much like pop up campers except on each side. 2 of the sides is for your bed and one is for a small stove and sink and the other is for food storage etc. Very small and light and built for a motorcyclist.
That was probably a pointless post.
derekxcole
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:20 am

A friend of mine built a luggage hauling teardrop for his Honda 750. He built it very light with foam and glass over plywood sides and Aluminum over framework for the top.

You can see pictures at this link.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mark_mckeeman/album?.dir=14fc
Last edited by Mark Mckeeman on Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Member Designs