Motorcycle Teardrop

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Motorcycle Teardrop

Postby Fancy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:54 pm

I ride a 1800 Honda Goldwing. There are some units available for motorcycles like Pop Ups or Fold Outs, but the only only teardrop that I have seen is the Quicksilver. Has anyone down sized a tear drop that would be suitable to pull with my bike? This would be a small unit for one person. Weight is a large factor, as I have enough power to pull, but all things have to be able to stop. Height as well as width are major considerations because of the ability to see behind it on the road. I enjoy the cooking as well as the camping so the kitchen is a plus. I know that all things can be downsized but I hoped that someone has all ready done it and I will be able to pick their brains. Thanks
"Why do we never have time to do it right, but always have time to do it over"
Fancy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:43 pm

Welcome to the mayhem Fancy. There are probably several on this Board who will be able to help with your query. If you try Reiner at Aussie Teardrops, I think that he has been involved with TD's behind bikes and trikes.
Cheers
Paul
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby angib » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:50 am

Fancy,

Quicksilver seems to be the only teardrop aimed particularly at motorcycles. Some people here you might want to search on are:

- Roly Nelson (same username), who has built a magnificent 4x8 woodie you will see many photos of, but who has also recently built an ultralight solo teardrop that is exactly what you're looking for, using a 40x48 Harbor Freight trailer kit as the chassis.

- Steve Wolverton (same username) no longer visits this forum but his Cowper design is worth looking up as an example of lightweight building.

- Gerald Hynes (sorry, can't remember his username) from Manitoba has done many miles towing a teardrop behind his Gold Wing (is that a Quicksilver?):

I'll email Gerald to see if he can give his thoughts.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:57 am

When I was at the Americade last year, there was a teardrop (I thought it was a little guy) for motorcycles.... I did a search on 'motorcycle tear drop trailer' and got lots of hits....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Teardrop Towing Goldwings

Postby darockrider » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:05 pm

Hi FANCY,

I tow a single sleeper TEARDROP behind my 1985 1200 GOLDWING. It weighs under 400lbs fully loaded to travel. The body is 39" wide and just over 6 ft long. It is very comfortable for camping on the road as long as you are not claustapobic at all :) . I would be glad to answer any specific questions you might have re building and towing with a GOLDWING. I have been coast to coast in Canada with it and thru a number of states. Approx 12~14k miles of towing thus far. Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] for more info as I have not been frequenting the forum much lately.

Take care and ride safe

Gerald
Manitoba, Canada
Last edited by darockrider on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
darockrider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Laredo » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:13 pm

darockrider, are you sure that's the right number of miles towing?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Towing Mileage................

Postby darockrider » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:56 pm

Duh, eh err...........should have obviously been 12~14K (thousand) miles of course. I don't think 12~14 miles would have been much of a holiday.....................

cheerio
gerald
darockrider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby grant whipp » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:00 pm

Greetings, Fancy!

Welcome to the 'Board!

If you are willing to build the teardrop yourself, your possibilities are virtually endless, and there are LOTS of good folks on this 'Board willing & ready to offer their expertise and advice.

If you are looking to buy ready-made or custom-built, you have a few more options than the Quicksilver line (out of production, for the most part). Lassen View Custom Teardrops specialize in MC-sized teardrops ... Li'l Guy offers one ... East Coast Teardrops has a model ... and I have two I'm about to start work on after the holidays (Li'l Bear Tag-Alongs). Contact info for all is at www.teardrops.net/mfgs.html

I've built a few MC-sized teardrops in the past, and it IS a challenge to get the features you want in such a small space and still keep the overall weight acceptable. It CAN be done, but remember that the key word will always be "compromise"!

Good Luck with your search! In the meantime ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Laredo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:29 pm

I would love to see pix of the 1/4 Nelson "Stacker" build as inspiration for a MC tear, personally.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:06 pm

Laredo wrote:I would love to see pix of the 1/4 Nelson "Stacker" build as inspiration for a MC tear, personally.

Gage,

Do you do a dynamite page for Roly on his 1/4 Nelson stacker? If not, what are you waiting for, in invitation for Prime Rib? We're all counting on you Gage... geesh! :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Member Designs