A Small Scooter Camper

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

A Small Scooter Camper

Postby hpmariner » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:05 pm

I own a 2016 Cushman II Highlander Scooter. I have wanted to do a camping trip but I don't do tents very well..(old knees and hips).
I have decided to build my own Tiny Camper Pop-Up inspired by the many bicycle campers many have made. But it has to be light and little windage as my 14 hp motor will have to pull all of us for over 800 miles up and back on the Natchez Trace Parkway. It's the perfect road trip as the speed limit is 50, with Zero commercial traffic, Zero Stops signs/Redlights/ and Zero yeild to intersecting traffic for it's 444 miles.
I have started with a old Aluminum extension ladder for a chassis with a 3/4 sheet of outdoor ply for a dec to build up from. I added 2 500# Torsion Axles for with 12 inch wheels. and crafted a laminated 1/4 x 2 inch tongue with a tie rod end joint to give me my 360 swivel action.
After putting in on it's wheels, I hitched it up for road testing. It' weighs in at 146# bare deck, so I added a 50# bag of sand to give it what I expect to be loaded weight for road testing.
Build.jpg
Build.jpg (119.16 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
Attachments
On Build Bench Over all.jpg
On Build Bench Over all.jpg (112.9 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
hpmariner
Teardrop Inspector

Re: A Small Scooter Camper

Postby hpmariner » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:09 pm

Here is the Trailer on the ground and hitched to the Cushman. This is day two of test riding it around the neighborhood, then out onto the main road near my house. In these pictures you can see the hitch I designed that gives the swivel I need as well as the 50# bag of sand I added to simulate the loaded weight I think I'd be pulling.

During test-riding, that bag of sand had slid forward on the deck without me knowing and had put it's full weight on the tongue and hitch assembly. I was wondering the design of that section if it would be strong enough to take some abuse, well here's some numbers for my rig so far...

The trailer up to the deck weighs 146#. The tongue weight is 20#. the bag of sand gives me roughly 200# total, and when that bag of sand slid forward, the tongue was carrying 70# !!! I now hove no fears of the tongue not taking a bit of abuse!
Attachments
Day 2 test right side.jpg
Day 2 test right side.jpg (218.41 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
Day 2 test left side.jpg
Day 2 test left side.jpg (195.53 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
Test Trailer Hitch.jpg
Test Trailer Hitch.jpg (212.07 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
hpmariner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AeroNautiCal » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:44 am

This is really neat, and it has a genuine Ladder Chassis!
I'm looking forward to seeing your design for the camper body and how you fit it out.
AeroNautiCal
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rebapuck » Thu May 21, 2020 11:43 am

Love the retro look of the scooter.

Any progress on the trailer?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Return to Member Designs