This may look familiar, new model

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

This may look familiar, new model

Postby saltydawg » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:12 pm

First old member been gone for a while.

I will say it is grasshopper inspired but that would be a lie, cough cough sawtooth cough cough. The difference is the size, the sawtoothxl was 8 foot long 43 inches high, this is 12 long 5 foot high. It will also have a slide out kitchen, a slide out pop up style bed and most likely a pop top for standing room/ventilation. I am not sure where the kitchen is going to go, nor the bed. Might be a rear bed, might be front. Might be side rear litchen, might be front.

Advantages for rear bed is more head room, front advantages more traditional better balance when set up.

Rear kitchen advantages is does not get in the way of the door, front advantage can be a larger slide out. so more for sink, cooler and stove.

I did have a wild idea for the kitchen. Imagine it swinging out from the rear, a 180 degree swing and winding up behind the tire 90 degrees to the body. KInd of like a spare tire carrier swinging 180 degrees.

pics of the current model made from foam board. model is 2 inches to a foot, so its 2 foot long. Plenty of room to see how stuff fits. The door does open,the windows and hatch trims are just electric tape. I did not want to cut any more holes until I had a chance to look at it for awhile to figure the kitchen and bed out

Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Re: This may look familiar, new model

Postby lfhoward » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:22 pm

Cool looking design! What kind of trailer do you want to build on?
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saltydawg » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:23 pm

I am trying to resize the pics.... urggggg
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby saltydawg » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:23 pm

lfhoward wrote:Cool looking design! What kind of trailer do you want to build on?

Probably build my own
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:25 pm

saltydawg wrote:
lfhoward wrote:Cool looking design! What kind of trailer do you want to build on?

Probably build my own

That would make sense. If you do, you can make it exactly the way you want, and choose an axle that can be the same track and bolt pattern as your tow vehicle.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saltydawg » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:42 pm

A couple of things I want in a trailer is to be able to use the bed with it "closed" up, stand up when open, and some where to sit besides the bed. Here is a couple of pics with a 5'10" stickman for scale.

the bed is red so it can be seen, slide out or in. When slid in it does block the door meaning you could not walk in, but you could crawl on to the bed aka tear drop style. The couch is about 5 foot long and will be able to pulled down in to a spare bed, for a child or small adult. Pop top is lifted, giving about 7 feet of head room on the one side. The door height is 4 foot, but there is room to do a 4'6" door as well as a door on the drivers side.

bed out top up

bed with stickman slide in.

couch

bed slid out

Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Return to Member Designs