Jack-in-the-box trailer

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Jack-in-the-box trailer

Postby Marshmonkey » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:29 am

Hello, first time trailer owner / builder here!

We currently have an iKamper skycamp rooftop tent mounted on our truck, and we really like the setup. However we are starting to get tired of having to climb up so high to get into it, and also find it annoying to have to break it down any time we want to use the truck during the day.

So I started thinking what a little trailer built around the skycamp could look like. After a lot of brainstorming I put together a 4x8 1720 trailer and now I am working to finalize my design before I start ordering materials.

Main points for the design:

➡️ 2" steel square tubing

➡️ alupoly / dibond panel skin

➡️ rear garage with space for folding bikes

➡️ middle compartment with shelf storage for camping gear

➡️ front storage area for tools / trailer stuff

➡️ tent acts as roof of the trailer

As a first time trailer builder I have some specific feedback I am looking for:

❓ what gauge steel tubing should I use? I want a sturdy platform for the tent that can handle the weight of the tent (165 lbs) and multiple people moving around inside.

❓ How much would you estimate this build would weigh? I don't think I will get close to the limit of the trailer, but I still want it to be easy enough to move around by hand. I have never owned a trailer of any size so I don't have much reference here.

❓ How should I tie the frame to the trailer? There are plenty of holes for potential bolt points in the HF trailer, I am considering just using bolts.

Any feedback in general or to the points above would be greatly appreciated! I'm excited to get started and it's been a lot of fun already trying to plan out how it will go together and be used.
Marshmonkey
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Jack-in-the-box trailer

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 am

Your concept reminds me of the Sylvan GO. A custom utility trailer with a great removable tent cleverly designed to work together..

Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Return to Member Designs