Folding Camper for 4x8 Trailer

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Folding Camper for 4x8 Trailer

Postby mattiker » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:21 am

Hey all, I haven't seen very many folding camper designs floating around, thought I'd throw my hat into the ring since it's been raining so much here. The idea is to start with a 4x8 trailer, and build a 2 foot high box on it. From there use a few pieces of metal or plastic corrugated roofing material and 2x4's to build a roof. A hinge is on both ends of this roof piece, one fastened to the front of the box, the other attached to the top of the rear wall. When stored, the rear wall's outer edge is left facing down. The base of the rear wall is on 2 tracks on either side of the box, slides from the middle to the back of the box, which raises the roof section as it is drawn backward.

As for the triangular side walls, I haven't found anything I'm super happy with yet, but Ideally I would like them to be stored inside the roof section so that they simply fold out as the roof is raised, or can be lowered after the roof has finished raising. Have a few different ideas that I might test out but I'm also open to suggestions. Realistically they could be stored on top of the bed area and be pushed into a slot on either side, but that's not nearly as fun.

There is storage underneath the sitting area. This can have extendable slats built into it to make for an expanding bed frame, although there are different designs that are out there that have become popular in the vanlife groups that would work just as well. The hole in the front will actually be 2 separate compartments that open like drawers, one for battery storage and one for a kitchen area.

The reason this design might be appealing (to me at least) is having the option of rooftop storage without having significant weight increase. One could also forgo the bed design entirely and just have a mattress on the floor for a simple solution. Apologies for the use of tinkercad, I'm not very skilled with 3d design and it's what I'm familiar with.

If anyone has any improvements or suggestions, I'm open to hearing them. I'm considering this design over my other design simply to have a way to transport my kayak a little more easily.
Last edited by mattiker on Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattiker
Teardrop Builder

Re: Folding Camper for 4x8 Trailer

Postby PCO6 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:25 am

I have a pop up that's a bit like what you're thinking of. It's taller and allows us to stand up in most of it. One of the reasons for buying it was that we wanted to transport kayaks on the top. I built a rack for it that is easy to load and works well. Neither it or the kayaks touch the pop up lid so there's no weight bearing on it at all. It has soft sides though so it might be a no go for you.

19-08-05 1.JPG
19-08-05 1.JPG (274.23 KiB) Viewed 2744 times

19-08-05 5.JPG
19-08-05 5.JPG (297.11 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby dogcatcher » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:28 am

Look at the A Liner campers, sort of the same concept, you will probably get some good ideas.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mattiker » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:18 am

dogcatcher wrote:Look at the A Liner campers, sort of the same concept, you will probably get some good ideas.

PCO6 wrote:I have a pop up that's a bit like what you're thinking of. It's taller and allows us to stand up in most of it. One of the reasons for buying it was that we wanted to transport kayaks on the top. I built a rack for it that is easy to load and works well. Neither it or the kayaks touch the pop up lid so there's no weight bearing on it at all. It has soft sides though so it might be a no go for you.

Took inspiration from both of these designs! I really like that the A liner gives you solid walls and I like the form factor and appearance of the clipper models, much nicer than my building blocks. Might be a way to incorporate both designs, back to the drawing board.
mattiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby OP827 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:19 pm

I really like this folding camper design ideas: https://camper.hemax.com/Reviews/1459/DIY_TRAY_BACK_CAMPER_TRAILER
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:47 am

OP827 wrote:I really like this folding camper design ideas: https://camper.hemax.com/Reviews/1459/DIY_TRAY_BACK_CAMPER_TRAILER

There are some good ideas in that example. Thanks for posting that link.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dogcatcher » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:11 am

dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Member Designs