Newbie with acouple of ideas.

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Newbie with acouple of ideas.

Postby mlhostetter » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi group! I am a new member from Fort Worth, Texas and I am so excited about what I have found here~
Everyone seems great and I have browsed through so many threads that I cant keep track of who said what and where, but I found a thread that led me to believe I could go to HF and just buy a trailer and build straight from there? Am I way off base here? Are there any things I might need to know before I go off on this adventure? i know that each trailer is rated for a specfic weight and i shouldn't go over.(big no-no) but I read somewhere that if I go underweight by to much without doing something to the susp. (I bemieve they are called a leaf) that it would vibrate and bounce around so much my screws would come loose. (they are pretty close to that anyways :? )

If there is any sage wisdom or advice I would be thrilled to hear it!
Here is a crude sketch done in paint. to give you and idea of what I am lookin at. Pretty basic. (Ummm ok need to upload to photobucket then I can attach.. see I told ya I was new..lol)

Thanks again,

Marylou[/img]
There is beauty in all things, even if it is only in the eye of the beholder.
mlhostetter
Teardrop Inspector

Oh Yeah.. as an afterthought...

Postby mlhostetter » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:52 pm

What are the laws on inspectionand registration on a teardrop hand built in the state of texas? What kind of headache will that be? Does anyone know?

:D Marylou
mlhostetter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi Marylou, welcome to the board. Sage advice........ hmmmmmmmmm .............
Apart from "post da pics coz we luv 'em 8) " Nup ..........None

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:08 pm

Hi MaryLou,

Welcome to the forum.

Sage advice... yea... build it in your mind first. When everything works, then build it!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:19 pm

Welcome Mary Lou,
Sage advice- hum--= :lol: Have a sense of humor, be nuts, ignore those who tell you your crazy and most of all~ take notes.

Thats it. Get a notebook, and make a section for every part of the build. Then go through the Generic Benroy with a fine tooth comb. Put the things you really like and need in your notebook.

Save to favorites as a back up.

Print pictures of the things you know you might not remember.

Post lots of pictures cause we have a Mad Jack. 8)
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

A slide out...

Postby mlhostetter » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:20 pm

I just saw the neatest thing someone did. Has anyone else thought about this as an option? I thought it was very ingenious! Never heard of such a thing!

http://free.hostdepartment.com/m/marckm/slideout.html

I guess it could work. I may need to consider this :thinking:

Marylou
mlhostetter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chris C » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:32 pm

Marylou,

That is Mark's 6-pack teardrop. Think you'll find a finished picture in the Hall of Fame...............and just click on the picture to go to his album.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:57 pm

Sage advice...it is a pretty good herb for cooking but be carefull not to use too much...oh wait, you are talking about trailers...my bad ( a sense of humor is important around here ;) ) ...
...rule of thimb for trailer suspension is to have 50% over capacity, so buy the 1800# HF, this will allow you to build a trailer upto 1200#s with no worry about suspension....read the "welcome newbies" thread in the "notices" section...have fun, you are in for an adventure......
madjack 8)
p.s. cameras are mandatory because we just luv da pics around here and is what we charge for all the advice you can use and then some....
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Oh Yeah.. as an afterthought...

Postby SteveH » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:10 pm

mlhostetter wrote:What are the laws on inspectionand registration on a teardrop hand built in the state of texas? What kind of headache will that be? Does anyone know?

Marylou,

Licensing a trailer in Texas is no big deal. Just go to your tax office and tell them you have a homemade utility tailer and all they want is the money for the plate. I've done it a few times. A title is optional for a trailer in Texas.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Oh Yeah.. as an afterthought...

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:34 pm

SteveH wrote:
mlhostetter wrote:What are the laws on inspectionand registration on a teardrop hand built in the state of texas? What kind of headache will that be? Does anyone know?

Marylou,

Licensing a trailer in Texas is no big deal. Just go to your tax office and tell them you have a homemade utility tailer and all they want is the money for the plate. I've done it a few times. A title is optional for a trailer in Texas.

Yea just like he said. No problems. Welcome another Texan. With all the tears being built in Dallas-Fort Worth ya'll could have your own area.

Oh yea did anybody mention pic's :D
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:05 pm

Welcome, to the forum. Relax, we aren't going anywhere just take your time to think thru things before you jump in with both feet. Yes, you can build on top of a HF trailer. For more info check the "Generic Benroy Plans" link at the top of the page.

As mentioned before, getting tags for a utility trailer is easy in TX. Just go down to the tag office with your reciept, title, (HF trailers come with a title) and some money. You will walk out tags in hand.

Registering it as a travel trailer is a different story. Which is why most people register it as a utility trailer.

You'd also better post pics to keep the masses happy. :)
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ron » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:27 am

mlhostetter,

Welcome to the group.

I bought the HF 1800 trailer to use. It does NOT come with a title, it comes with a certificate of origin. When I registered mine as a utility trailer they told me that I DONT get a title for it, they said it was a non-titled vehicle. They gave me ALL my paperwork back and said that if I sell it just give the new owner all the paperwork and a bill of sale. I asked them repeatedly about getting a title for it and they kept telling me that it was a non-titled vihicle, I thought that was kinda strange. I didn't think to ask them if I registerd it as a travel trailer if I get a title. But they give me the plates for it and off I went. I registered mine about a month or so ago.
I'm building the Generic Benroy, still a work in progress. You are more than welcome to come and have a look at mine. It helps the understanding process better to actually SEE one up close. I also have some pictures in my album you can look at.

Best Regards,
Ron
Ron
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Ron wrote:I bought the HF 1800 trailer to use. It does NOT come with a title, it comes with a certificate of origin.

True, my bad. I got them confused and used them interchangably. For trailers under a certain weight there is no title.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Thanks you have all given me some food for thought~

Postby mlhostetter » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:27 pm

Everyone is indeed awesome and really helpful
Ron, I PM you with a few questions, and I will pose this one to all
here too. How do I come up with a great theme, idea for my TD? I
want it to be Original and something my hubby will be proud to go with me while towing.
(hence my big honkin Yellow "Happy Camper" complete with a
:) type smiley face, wasn't a big winner with him..lol)

I really want to get it down in my head before I cut a single piece of wood.
See it , then build it, ya'll understand.

Any thoughts on how I can come up with a great theme? :twisted:

Thanks,

Marylou
mlhostetter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:07 am

Peyote? sp?
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to Member Designs