International Teardrop Gathering

Teardrop Gatherings that are National/International in scope includes the United Kindom and Australian Chapters of TearJerkers.

Postby Arne » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:20 am

I vote for 2 International Tear Drop Gatherings. One in the geographical center of the USA west of the Mississippi and one in the geo center East of the Miss..... Or, Alternate it.

I don't feel like driving from CT to Minden, though I know some did. There are plenty of desireable camping places on both side of the Miss. And having different venues would allow a choice.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby George T. » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:18 am

Man!

You guys are killing me! It's an idea Grant. But, the folks that give the classes might not be available for two sessions. Vacation time being "precious" as it is. As it was for the 1st ITG, I personally spent a full week in Minden. From start to finish for the gathering, I devoted 11 days of a 14 day vacation to "make it happen". I enjoyed every minute of it, although I did not get to visit with fellow teardroppers nearly as much as I would have liked to!

I believe for the next gathering, we need to have a set schedule for committee to assist with the various duties that go into a gathering of this size. Everyone really pitched in for the 1st ITG and it would not have been such a success without them! THANKS GANG!!!!

Another consideration is the cost to rent the meeting room under the motel where we held the seminars and the potluck dinners. Two days was pushing it with the funds available. Folks have suggested that the event fee be raised to help cover costs.

With all of this being said, it was a blast having teardroppers from all of the country coming and going for almost a full week! Talk about a teardrop community!

As for the weekend/mid=week controversy. If you REALLY want to attend a gathering/event, I would assume that you would make whatever arrangements required to do so. I have attended The Dam Gathering at Shasta numerous times. It is 1300 miles one way from Colorado. I generally accomplish this during a one week vacation. You bet your teardrop it's a push to do! BUT, it's what I want to do. I make the time and effort to make it happen. My choice to push hard.

I personally have missed the last two Dam Gatherings to my disappointment. In 2004, I was in Minden meeting with the Pioneer Village staff to see if the ITG could become a reality. In 2005, I was again in Minden finalizing the details for the ITG. All in all, I spent three weeks of my vacation during 2005 working to make the ITG happen. Of course this does not count the countless hours spent coordinating the gathering with the ITG committee/Pioneer Village via phone/email. The event would not have happened without the help and support of Grant & Lisa Whipp. They, in fact, were instrumental in two gatherings in 2005. The Dam Gathering and the International Teardrop Gathering.

:thumbsup: Saying thank you will never be enough. :applause:

With that being said, the ITG gathering will be held when it is held. If you want to attend, great! We would love to see you! You have over 1 1/2 years to make your decision/arrangements...

George
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:29 am

For something along the lines of the "IDEA" behind Minden and the ITG, 2 different events don't work...we already have plenty of "regionnal" gatherings and these will continue to increase as the numbers of Teardroppers increase.
The idea (from my point of view) is to get folks from all across the country, Canada and Mexico together in one place, at one time.
Because of this it will always be inconvenient for many to drive to such a gathering, whether you come from the East or the West, 1500/2000+- miles is just that...a long way.
One problem,(I think) is that folks on different coasts view distance two different ways...because of the vast strech of area between attractions/venues , West coasters view long distance as something that you just accept and go ahead and do. With the population density in the East venues/attarctions are much closer together and long distance travel is viewed with some disdain.
The ITG is different, it is not Christmas at the beach or Little Talbot or Mystic. It is also not the Dam gathering, Spamboree or (hopefully) Pamplin. It is the ITG and it's very nature is different, it's purpose is to gather those people who go to the different regional gatherings together in one place at one time...that is the reason for a 2 year run up...to give folks from all over the country time to plan for it...
All of us would like it to be closer, so as to make it more convienient but the closer it is to you the more inconvienient it will be for others...a place like Minden is a compromise between those objections and the ITG should viewed not like a regional campout but rather as something special.......
anyway, that is my 2cents worth of rambling on the subject
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:34 pm

All very good points, Madjack. I've been quiet through this thread because I wanted to hear all opinions. Your's seems NOT to be personal to one degree or another. I have thought, ever since hearing about the "upcoming" event in Minden earlier this year, that this would be a marvelous venue for people around the country, to gather and enjoy the common bond we all have..............the love for these little trailers. I didn't have and don't have one yet, but sure hope I will soon. Minden was the single event which solidified my desire to do that. Whether or not I have one next year, I'll do my best to be there for the festivities. I learned a lot, met some nice people, (wish I'd made the effort to meet more) and had a great time. Thanks to all those people who made Minden happen and made it such a success. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Gage » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:57 pm

Well said Madjack.............How's that saying go George,,,,,,,,,You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you CAN'T PLEASE ALL THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME.

George, you did a great job this last year and I'm sure your going to do the same for this next one. Even I would like it closer to home but to be fare to others in general, I think Minden is the best place. Tanya and I are already planning for 2007. With Tanya still working we also have to plan around 'x' amount of days for vacation. She's talking about taking less days next year so she'll have more days in 2007. Then we're hopping that there will also be a couple of East Cost gatherings within a couple of weeks following the ITG that we can also try and hit. Hopefully my Wagon will be running a little more smoothly so I don't end up spending 4 days down time. :cry:

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby George T. » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:58 am

Madjack,

Very well said sir. Thank you.

Living in Colorado, gatherings in the past have been few and far between. When my youngest daughter was still at home, she was my "teardrop buddy". We traveled together extensively. We sat down and discussed what our "range" was for gatherings. Bear in mind that there was only one driver, me. With that in mind we came up with the following "guidelines".

Traveling distances one way [double for the round trip total]

Anything under 200 miles warranted a weekend [2 days]

Up to 500 miles was do-able with four days available.

Anything over 500 miles warranted a minimum of 7 days.

We normally did the Dam Gathering in 7 days.

The last Dam Gathering that I attended was with my mother after my dad had passed away. Mom and I spent nine days out with a couple of VERY long days on the road. All in all, we traveled just over 3300 miles. A total of 64 hours spent behind the wheel. That's eight 8 hours days all told. Mom saw country that she had never seen before. She was 81 years old at the time...

That being said, out west, we are long distance drivers. I think nothing of driving 100 - 200 miles in one day to get the normal shopping done. As you so well put, It's a matter of perspective.

Thanks again for your thoughts! Having lived in Colorado for 30 years and hailing originally from St. Louis, MO, I had "forgotten" about the difference in "perspectives".

George

PS. And yes, the max speed was with the teardrop attached. Being large, body 5' X 11', with a low center of gravity, The Lost Teardrop is a cruiser on the highway.
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby LeeB » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:30 am

I could complain it was to close, almost in my back yard 92 miles one way but I won't. We will be there next time might bring the smoker and have smoked turkey or ribs. Wish we could have came and camped but just had time to spend 2 hours looking at the different tears and talking to some of you. It looked like everyone was having fun even if it was kinda warm :lol:

I think it should be up to the people that do most of the work as to were, when, what, and how things are done.

Keep up the great job that what we are paying you for :lol: :lol: :lol:
We are paying you right??????

Leeb
LeeB
Teardrop Builder

Postby willy1959 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:11 am

could some one please tell me where "minden" is? I keep looking to see where, but it just keeps saying minden, no state..

Im new, so this information is probly common knowledge,, give me the secret handshake, okay?

:R :D
willy1959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby George T. » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:35 am

Minden, Nebraska

Home of Pioneer Village http://www.pioneervillage.org/

Here is a list of photo links from the 1st International Teardrop Gathering last June.

Dave Nathanson: http://roughwheelers.com/montego/TD/ITG2005/

Including Photos From:
George Thornton
Kurt S (Indiana)
Gary Marmoy
The Wedding
Pioneer Village
Dinners & Making IceCream
Dave Nathanson - Convoy from So Calif
Marianne Haberger
Joe Pannarale
Seminars

Sam Cancilla: http://www.samstoybox.com/teardrop/itg2005/

Michael Burton: http://teardrop.blogicalthoughts.com/td_1stitg.html

Chris Christenberry: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chrischristenberry/album?.dir=bf3e&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Kearney Hub Article: http://www.kearneyhub.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14763473&BRD=268&PAG=461&dept_id=551037&rfi=6

Jeff : http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=380

Dave Speicher: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/olde_beachbum/album?.dir=b5bb&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/olde_beachbum/my_photos

Gage Enoch: http://www.gages-56.com/ITG.html

George
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby willy1959 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:55 am

Sweet!

I only live 700 miles from there! I may just have a trailer to come with at the next one! 8)

Wow I saw a metropolitan pulling a tear!?

Im impressed!! hehe my bugeye should have had the same size motor, but now has a transplanted bigger engine, :thinking: :thinking:
willy1959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:28 am

We're planning the trip!
I really wanted to go to the Pamplin Grove gathering this year, but a cross-country trip for two "workin' folks" is too much time off...Oh-my!, is there such a thing?
Maybe Dean can move the meet, and the Sequoia's to the middle of the continent??:D :D
Well, the trip to Minden is half the distance, and I don't mind the travel-time. We'll plan a long week of vacation and go for it!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby willy1959 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:44 am

Steve Frederick wrote:We're planning the trip!
I really wanted to go to the Pamplin Grove gathering this year, but a cross-country trip for two "workin' folks" is too much time off...Oh-my!, is there such a thing?
Maybe Dean can move the meet, and the Sequoia's to the middle of the continent??:D :D
Well, the trip to Minden is half the distance, and I don't mind the travel-time. We'll plan a long week of vacation and go for it!

what would be really fun is to kinda pick up people along the way, in a caravan line.. like you most likely will be driving within 1 hour of my house, and we could plan and hook up. all along the route?
willy1959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:49 pm

willy1959 wrote:
what would be really fun is to kinda pick up people along the way, in a caravan line.. like you most likely will be driving within 1 hour of my house, and we could plan and hook up. all along the route?

Well, we can get a list together, figure out who is where along the routes, and do it! Could get interesting!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Gage » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:00 pm

Steve Frederick wrote:........Well, we can get a list together, figure out who is where along the routes, and do it! Could get interesting!
It does look sweet with a bunch of Teardrops running down the road causing traffic tie ups and accidents because every one is watching the teardrops and not where they are going. :lol: Most of California went to Minden in two groups. And like that, those groups were split up while on the road which caused for some good entertainment for a lot of travelers.
:thumbsup: Image
Image :thumbsup:

Have a good day.
8)
Last edited by Gage on Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:11 pm

Here's a few photos from the other (Northern Ca.) of the two California groups that made the trip to Minden:
Image Image
Image Image
The rest of my photos from our tour to Minden can be viewed here:
more photos here
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

PreviousNext

Return to National/International