International Teardrop Gathering

Teardrop Gatherings that are National/International in scope includes the United Kindom and Australian Chapters of TearJerkers.

Postby reo-ron » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:47 pm

Hey George, I need to plan vacation /Rodruns /Teardropping for next year ('07) . Any ideas on a date yet?
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Postby George T. » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:59 pm

Looks like the dates for the 2nd International Teardrop Gathering would be June 14 - 17, 2007. Still waiting on additional conformation.

George
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:09 am

Whoo Hoo! So it's on? I'll plan accordingly.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mfkaplan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:36 pm

I was planning to take my tear on a great excursion across country next June. Knitting camp in Indianna the second weekend in June and then on to Alpharetta, GA to visit my son. If I go to GA first, then Indianna. and the Minden on the way home, I could make it without any extra miles. I really want to go to Minden. I'd be gone about a month. Have some concerns about my animals although I have a wonderful pet sitter. Iv'e been down I 80 many times.The only part of the trip that would be new is going the southen route to GA. Only been as far as New Mexico that way.

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby bg » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Penciled in on the calender.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby JunkMan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Sounds Great! This time I should actually have my tear done (or at least useable) :oops:
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Gage » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 pm

Aw man, that's the same time period as the Spring Tearup at Saranac Lake, NY. Say George can you move it back one week? ;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Banter about the ITG

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:13 am

8) Hello George,
I'm reading this thread with great interest...thoughts of attending but the dates mentioned or earlier are my final days of classes-would be difficult for me to take off then, but Dean's trailer should be done for a TD caravan trip. What a classic journey that was, and so well photo journaled by those on the road.

Something of this magnitude, the ITG, takes lots of long term planning and coordination and you just have to do what works best for YOU and your back-ups/backbone/backbreaking crew. One of those terms will do, I know. I christened our IRG helpers/crew the Magic Team - things were done and people with experience attending other events just seem to appear to lend some extra hands. Also, when you don't "delegate" you miss out on the visiting, eating and viewing TD's cuz you've become too busy directing this and that and don't get out and about. It can get pretty involved to do an event of this size, that's one reason Dean & I are aiming for IRG 2.0 in 2008. We'll be able to attend some the 2007 summer since we'll try for every other year (the evens). I also have the perfect job that gives me summers off to do the lead up to a BIg International one.

So sorry we (Dean of Eureka & I, others as well) missed seeing you at that DAM gathering and cuz of those circumstances. I'd say plan what works for you as you are the major impetus behind this event and seem passionate about it. I know from the most recent Redwood event, the IRG, the events are a lot of leg work and behind the scenes action to make things run smoothly and have a good time. You are correct about people pitching in, we sure saw plenty of that this summer, as Teardroppers jumped in to help out.

Go for it, George. And thanks for doing so! :thumbsup: :applause:

Joanie
TDN :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby GHOSTSSX » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:28 am

Well from here it says it is 1100 miles to Minden in Google Earth - about 16 hours @ 70 mph.

I have driven to Boston from here non-stop, about 23 hrs(with cat naps), but that was 15 yrs ago!

Looks like a good 2 day trip from Birmingham! Where would you suggest to stop half-wayish??

CHUCK
GHOSTSSX
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:09 am

It's "only" 800mi for me. On the way home from IRG, we had one leg that was longer than that. I'll have to do a side trip when we go.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:25 am

Just under 1500 for me last year. But beings how we're going to be going all the wat to the coast on the right side this next year, we'll do the short route to Minden. That's just over 1400 miles. Still it will take 4 days to get there. Piece of cake.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:20 am

GHOSTSSX wrote:Well from here it says it is 1100 miles to Minden in Google Earth - about 16 hours @ 70 mph.

I have driven to Boston from here non-stop, about 23 hrs(with cat naps), but that was 15 yrs ago!

Looks like a good 2 day trip from Birmingham! Where would you suggest to stop half-wayish??

CHUCK

I'm thinking that somewhere off of I-70 near the Lake of the Ozarks might be a good halfway point for you. Should be plenty of nice camping areas around there. I've camped there years ago, but can't remember exactly where.

How about it WarPony, I think that you get over that way quite a bit.

We're lucky, it's only 300 miles or so from here.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby dguff » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:21 am

Minden was fun but I don't think I would want to spend another three days there. I enjoyed the Pioneer Village but now it's a case of "been there, done that". I did not enjoy the lack of other things to do in the area, the cramped campgrounds and the abysmal sanitary/restroom facilities with plugged and overflowing toilets.

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby George T. » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:51 pm

Greetings from St. Louis.

Dates for the 2nd ITG are tough. There are several other "meets" going on in the surrounding time frame. It is tough to pick a time frame that will suit all. Someone will always have a conflict. I attempted to choose a time that would work for folks in the educational community as well as school aged kids. I also wanted to stay away from the 4th of July. The middle of the week is also tough. It's great for the folks that are on vacation, but the working folks would miss out as they typically have the weekend off and we would not get the drop-ins.

Cramped camping areas. We had PLENTY of room left over in the primitive area. And talk about a special community in the campground! I was never so impressed with a group of people as I was with the attendees of the 1st ITG! It was hard to believe that we had over 250 people sharing the experience together. The townsfolk were amazed! The teardroppers of the ITG welcomed the townsfolk to share our experience with us. They WANT us to come back...

Sanitary facilities. NUMBER ONE PRIORITY on my list to Marshall Nelson, :thinking: [[email protected]] :thinking: , General Manager of Pioneer Village. I am waiting on a response from him. The Minden Chamber of Commerce has stepped up to the plate and will provide some porta-potties as well as additional trash pickup throughout the event.

As far as "Been there/done that". It's your choice. I am putting the 2nd ITG together so that teardroppers can share our love of teardropping. There are PLENTY of folks that I have never met. Others that I would like to see again. There is NO WAY that ANYONE can see ALL that there is to see in and around Minden, NE in four days. UNLESS, of course, you do the Chevy Chase deal from "Vacation". I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy being on "Teardrop Time". I LOVE to explore. I also happen to like PEOPLE. The folks in Nebraska are the warmest, most friendly folks that I have met in YEARS. And I travel a lot.

So. The 2nd International Teardrop Gathering will be whatever you want it to be for you. I am personally looking forward to seeing old friends, meeting new ones and answering the question: " Do you REALLY sleep in there?".

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and say a prayer for people everywhere.

George T.
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:06 am

George,
Like last year, you can count on me for any needed help. I was just joking around about the weekend movement.

Did someone say something about "cramped campgrounds"? I can tell, never been to a SoCal teardrop gathering where we stick 100 teardrops in only 45 spaces. If I remember correctly, right from the get-go, Pioneer Village opened up two of thier motel rooms for extra bath rooms. Even Pioneer Village admitted they were overwhelmed. They and the city had no idea. It was thier first. Because of some car problems I had. I had the chance to meet with the owner of the Ford Dealership there. He even told me that should we come back, things would be different and the whole city would have thier arms open for us. Everybody learns something the first time. They thought we were just another group of RV'ers.

And "lack of other things to do in the area." I'm taking my golf clubs next year and play some golf one day. There was also a good swap meet in the next town over that we might go to again. All kinds of things to do, you just have to look. There also was this Museum that someone built over HWY 80 not far from there. (I need to get my trip pictures up from that trip back to Minden and then home. Was on the road for 5 weeks, sleeping in the teardrop every night.)

Like George said. Gatherings are events you go to to meet new and old friends that you wouldn't meet up with other wise. And enjoy showing off your teardrop and answering silly questions like: Do you really sleep in there?
:lol:

What the heck you doing in St. Louis George? That's not even close to Minden.
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to National/International