Could this be the end of Teardrops and home builds ???

Teardrop Gatherings that are National/International in scope includes the United Kindom and Australian Chapters of TearJerkers.

Could this be the end of Teardrops and home builds ???

Postby Two Showers » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 am

I no longer produce Teardrops. In the following thread is reference to a failed chassis. I wish to state this is NOT one of my builds. I have never used cut pieces as part of a chassis. All my chassis were produced for me by a Chassis Manufacturer. I have to assume the chassis failure is from one of the NEW owners design and build.
Last edited by Two Showers on Thu May 30, 2013 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
They said "Smile, things could be worse"....

So I smiled, and things got worse.

I am a true descendant of the Hobbits.

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:42 am

This doesn't sound good at all for teardrop companies and I hope you interpreted the new law too strictly for commercial resale builds... but private "home builds" for personal use too? How in the world can they have a law that forbidding? Sure hope it's not true for you.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Two Showers » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:50 am

I don't see how it can apply to home builds, but it doesn't differentaite between any type of builder !!!

Anyone out there with a different or more accurate understanding of this new EU directive???

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:28 pm

That doesn't sound good for you guys... Sounds like someone is trying to clamp down...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Two Showers » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:46 pm

There is a 'slight' glimmer of hope.
Part of the info put out states for MASS produced. It refers to small number producers sending each trailer made for a test similar to the people who make Trikes on an occasional basis. Similar to the SVA (I think its called that) test.
So it may be when we make sense of all this that ALL trailer prices will go up, but we can still bat on and send each one made for a type approval test.

Watch this space as they say.

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jackdaw » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:55 pm

How much does it cost for a sva Martin.?

I know Heikki was having to jump various hoops to get his trailer registered in Finland.

We seem to be moving to a society thats looking to tie everything up in red tape.

Martin who checks what is approved ???
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:17 pm

So I see the UK has some Bureaucratic idiots too! (meaning no offense)

I'm a small manufactured here in the states, more specific Pennsylvania.

It is like Blood letting to get a title in this state.

I have often said " I have never tried so hard to give somebody money for nothing in my life"

But that's my problem.

One of the ways I got around it was to find a commercial trailer frame Manufacturer, who's willing to put up with all that Bull $hi#@.

And I just build a "Box" that will fit there frame.

When a customer contacts me for a build I tell them to go and buy an "XYZ" frame Item number XXXXXXX From the ABC company. Get it registered/titled on there own, and in there name, then bring it to me and I will mount the "Box" to the frame.

And away they go.

If its a complex build I have them drop it off early.

At that point my "Box" is just a Load that is placed on somebody Else's trailer. Same as bolting racks to it for a Landscaper, or for hauling lumber or what ever.

In the long run it saves the customer and me a lot of money and time by not having to do the L o n g, expensive registration process twice.

I figure I can knock $500 off of the final price...and that doesn't include the cost of the frame.

$500's worth of BS.

$175 title

$35 tags

$30 transfer tax X 2

1 1/2 days of my time (which I have to pass on to the customer)

Only to have to have the customer do/pay it all over again when he/she takes possession.

Good Luck, and remember "They Can't stop us, there's always a back door to get in"

Happy Trails

Len

I use the trailers original lights, Fenders and hook ups
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:51 pm

That might be a way around the nonsense. Submit only the frame for testing and have the body as an add on. that is what Microlite does with the Wazat, the trailer is functional with out the pod.
I found one source of information www.icomia.org/technical-info/docs/ICOMIA Technical Note EC approval for Boat Trailers.pdf
You do have until 2012 to get this figured out and trying to read the original EU documents made my head hurt. I think you will need the asistance of a lawyer or trade group.
GOOD LUCK
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:02 pm

This was the last post i remember on EU trailer chassis by Heikki. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=28923&highlight=trailer

He would be worth talking to... :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Two Showers » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:01 am

That appears to be the way round it. The Chassis is the only bit they are really interested in and the 'box' can be anything.

I had this glimmer of hope through from one of our suppliers.

Vehicle type approval for trailers became voluntary in April 2009 and will become mandatory in October 2012.
You can check details on www.vca.gov.uk/vehicle-type-approval
We will be working toward approval on a progressive basis and at the moment are assessing the administrative implications which in reality are greater than the practical ones. There will be no destruction testing!
Mostly bought in components like brakes, wheels and lights will carry documented approval which will form part of the whole vehicle approval system which we compile and each trailer will come with a type approval V.I. No..
In practical terms for us it means we may have to rationalize our model range within three categories:
1. Single axle unbraked
2. Single axle braked
3. Twin axle braked

Body construction does not form part of the approval system.

But as all things 'red tape', just sit and wait and by the time it's all sorted, we'll need a letter from our mum, a blood sample, eye of a newt, wing of a bat...... and somewhere along the line they'll be asking for a lump sum of cash.

Now what else can they tax us for or charge us for.

Walking, now thats a good one, tax us for walking !!!!!!!!!!
OR BREATHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Two Showers » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:56 am

Further to my post, I have been somewhat calmed by the following info sent through:

You may have been mis informed, my understanding is that under 750kg will not be tested and there is an exemption for kit and small manufacturers. It will work like SVA with individual tests so that should not be a problem. The October 2010 date is not hard and fast yet like the regulations. This is similar to the last scare about cars and 3 wheelers, it turned out nothing like the doom mongers said. If you can build a complete car with no test or just an SVA a trailer is hardly likely to be a problem. This kind of rumour has been around for years, no one to my knowledge could quote figures or facts accurately.

And from the VCA web site:

The table below includes VOSA’s estimated inspection fees only. A cost of the inspection is
made up of two components, inspection of the vehicle and validation of approval documentation.
There may be additional fees, see below.
Category Estima ted IV A fee range
M1/N1 production vehicles £250 - £300
M1/N1 amateur built vehicles £500 - £550
M2 bus / coach £300 - £350
M3 2-axle bus and coach £350 - £400
M3 3-axle bus and coach £400 - £450
N2/N3 goods vehicle £150 - £200
O1/O2 light trailer £75 - £150
O3/O4 heavy trailer £100 - £150

Hope this sheds a bit more light on the issue

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:31 pm

It's worth pointing out that the only component that Heikki had to have certification for in Finland was the 'drawbar' (ie, tongue) and that had to be type-approved for the weight of the trailer - in other words, exactly the same situation that has applied for decades on trailer rear lights, which have had to be 'e' marked.

Requiring trailer builders to use type-approved drawbars does not strike me as particularly onerous - indeed it is the one bit that can and does fail, so it's pretty reasonable.

But then folks do love to think they're oppressed, so these horror tales about them banning breathing and such do get passed around.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Two Showers » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:43 pm

If you don't ask, you don't find out

:lol: :lol:

Two Showers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NathanL » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 pm

I build wooden boats and from reading the boat building forums regulations have nearly killed the non professional boat builders in Europe in the last few years. We're talking about some serious boats up to 50'+.
NathanL
The 300 Club

re: National/International

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Hello,

This is really very good information. this information will help many people's.now if i want anything then i will tell you contact you or ask from here.so, thanks for sharing thsi information.

thanks!!

Next

Return to National/International