Wiring in 1950's house

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Wiring in 1950's house

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:51 am

tony.latham wrote:
the first picture of one of those receptacles...

I have never seen one of those... gawd.

When we built our shop, I asked the electrician if I could install the outlets to save some money. No problem. When the inspector looked at them, he was befuddled with the outlets since they were not the non-tamper type. (sh**, this is a shop... a man cave...) I informed him I was the fella that installed them --I did this to keep our electrician outta trouble. Wrong answer. He fined me $80, made me get a non-commercial license, and I replaced all 44 outlets with the frigging tamper-resistant outlets.

I'm tempted to reinstall the original outlets. The non-tamper outlets are a pain. I might try jamming a screwdriver in one just to torture it. Learn it up. :frightened:

:frightened:

Tony

Geez! You ought to write that inspector into one of your books Tony. Then, a week after he inspects Charlie's shop, Cove catches him fishing without a license... :twisted:

I probably ought to look into the laws in New York and New Mexico. Never heard of a non-commercial license... :thinking: Hardware stores sure sell a lot more outlets, switches, etc. than could be covered by the licensed electricians out there!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:44 am

Never heard of a non-commercial license...

It's so a homebuilder can wire his own home. Which I'm sure brings the magnifying glass out when the inspector shows up.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:59 pm

tony.latham wrote:When we built our shop, I asked the electrician if I could install the outlets to save some money.

Ha, sounds like my kind of luck. There's a saying for that scenario:

TANSTAAFL

:lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:58 pm

bdosborn wrote:
tony.latham wrote:When we built our shop, I asked the electrician if I could install the outlets to save some money.

Ha, sounds like my kind of luck. There's a saying for that scenario:

TANSTAAFL

:lol:
Bruce

Well, the best case scenario is to not get into a situation where there is an inspector, but I realize that can't always be done.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby JasenC » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:19 pm

tony.latham wrote:
the first picture of one of those receptacles...

I have never seen one of those... gawd.

When we built our shop, I asked the electrician if I could install the outlets to save some money. No problem. When the inspector looked at them, he was befuddled with the outlets since they were not the non-tamper type. (sh**, this is a shop... a man cave...) I informed him I was the fella that installed them --I did this to keep our electrician outta trouble. Wrong answer. He fined me $80, made me get a non-commercial license, and I replaced all 44 outlets with the frigging tamper-resistant outlets.

I'm tempted to reinstall the original outlets. The non-tamper outlets are a pain. I might try jamming a screwdriver in one just to torture it. Learn it up. :frightened:

:frightened:

Tony

Glad we don't have that code, but I still run into them, those things can be a PITA.
That's dumb for a shop where kids shouldn't be alone anyway, change them out. Once they sign off they are done with you.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:44 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Geez! You ought to write that inspector into one of your books Tony. Then, a week after he inspects Charlie's shop, Cove catches him fishing without a license... :twisted:

Tom

The inspector tries to bribe Cove, because he works that way and assumes everyone else does too. Cove investigates this guy and finds out he's been selling electrical outlets, bought and paid for by the state of Idaho, on the black market, including to Russians.

But why would Russians want North American style outlets? Because they're building a secret American city in the middle of Siberia to train their spies. (OK, I stole that part from a Danger Man re-run.)

Just then an alien spacecraft appears, piloted by Sasquatch with his loyal dog Chupacabra...

I tell ya, this story practically writes itself! Don't ya love it when your fans give you ideas Tony?

Tom :lol:
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:39 pm

Don't ya love it when your fans give you ideas Tony?

Always. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:37 am

The picture is pretty close but not exactly what I recall. Different manufacturer and that house was built in 1952 iirc. Or the fact I was born that year clouds my memory. :)

I'm no fan of the contemporary tamper resistant receptacles either.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic