Florida, winter, 2006

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Florida, winter, 2006

Postby Arne » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:30 am

Being retired, and being real tired of CT winters, I'm thinking of a one month camping trip to FL in Jan/Feb, 2006.

I would like to get to the keys for at least a week, but the rest of the time, anything near some water would be nice.

The tearjerkers site has some folks that have expressed similar interests, so I posted a similar note there.

I'm looking for comments, such as good places to camp (one already suggested a non-Key West campground with a shuttle bus that runs to Key West).... and what lead time is necessary to get into campgrounds in the winter, what with our burdgoning elderly population, I'm assuming a lot have this same idea....

So, anyone interested or have some information based on past history you can offer up? I want to start now so I can leave some empty calendar space without committments...... oh, no hurricane season would be nice, whenever that is.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Chip » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:27 am

Arnie,, the Carolina, Ga, Fla group went to Little Talbout Island near Jacksonville Fla a few weeks ago in February,, If you are looking for a beautiful area with very few people I would highely recomend it,, The only suggestion is to not try to get right on the water,, the winds comming in can be a bit brisk,, I think there are about 40 campsites and only about half were occupied and we took up 10 or so of these,, the facilities are very good and the sites are seperated with heavy low country vegitation, Look at the threads in the Southeast section, several people posted pictures of the trip, I was on the beach early afternoon on friday and was the only person on the beach as far as ya could see,, The campsites are on the west side of the Island on the marsh but the beach is only a hop across the only road in. I would go back to Talbout in a heartbeat,, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:28 am

Little Talbot Island SP outside jacksonville would make a nice N Fl stop for you. We all had a great time there in Feb and may Tear there again next year. Park was very nice. Check out postings on that gathering.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:44 am

There is a really nice park in Destin (on the western panhandle of FL) near the water called "Camping On The Gulf". Travellers from GA,SC,NC wouldn't want to go that far out of the way but for people in AL, LA, MS, MO, TN, KY, it is an ideal place to get away for a week or two in the winter, or for an overnighter on the way to the Keys. BTW - hurricane season is June 1 thru November 30 but after all the slapping-around Florida got last year surely it'd be safe for another 5 years. right? 8)
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Woody » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:49 pm

Key West, Florida And the Florida Keys, yes the messages you have read was one of many of mine and some fellow Tear Jerkers. If you want to book campgrounds in the Keys , like State Parks or KOA's or private campground you better start inquiring now dependant upon the season. The campground that has the shuttle to Key West is the Sugarloaf Key KOA. It is about 12 miles or so from Key West. The other KOA is at Fiesta Key up by Long Key (about midway down) which is about 18 miles south of Islamorada (Fishing Capital of the World). The State Parks campgrounds mostly are on the Atlantic side of the Keys. They fill up early dependant upon what time of year.If I could spark more interest in this a Florida Chapter of the Tearjerker Gathering could and would happen. I have no problem camping in the Keys any time any place. Hurricane Season starts June 1st thru Novenber 1st. E-mail me and you can ask me any question you may have and I 'll tell you what I know to help you out with your plans
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bobgorilla » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:10 pm

Another very nice state park is Fort Desoto on the south side of St. Petersburg. This is 1 long day's drive to Key West or 2 very easy ones.It's right on the Gulf (west side of state halfway up) If you get lucky they have a number of sites right on the water and none very far from it!:thumbsup: 8)
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:48 am

Bob, thank you for the information. I am printing it all off and putting it into a folder for use next winter.

Does anyone know how far in advance I should be making reservations? I know some rallies I go to, reservations have to be made when we leave, for next year, one year ahead......

I think I may have to start planning all this out pretty soon....

I've told Shirley to keep the last half of January and all of February clear of appointments... so, that is the window I am working with. January 15-March 1...... I've found 300 mile days are about my limit, now, so it will take at least 4 days down and 4 days back....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Another thought about Key West

Postby Bobgorilla » Tue May 10, 2005 7:09 pm

arnereil wrote:Bob, thank you for the information. I am printing it all off and putting it into a folder for use next winter.

Does anyone know how far in advance I should be making reservations? I know some rallies I go to, reservations have to be made when we leave, for next year, one year ahead......

I think I may have to start planning all this out pretty soon....

I've told Shirley to keep the last half of January and all of February clear of appointments... so, that is the window I am working with. January 15-March 1...... I've found 300 mile days are about my limit, now, so it will take at least 4 days down and 4 days back....
:thinking: I just remembered that a friend of mine is retired Navy and said that if you are active or retired military you can camp on the Navy base in Key West, this is 5 year old information so I'm not even sure that base is still there but there quite a few bases in Florida (if you are retired military) and I don't think they fill up and the cost is minimal if any. I'd be happy to recommend some bases if this is any use to you :thumbsup:
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Return to Off Topic