Exercise Anyone?????????????

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Steve E » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:02 pm

Was watching something on TV and showed hoola hoops as great way to lose inches around the waist. If use it 20 minutes a day for 5 days a week it was said you'd lose 3" around the waist. Escapes me now as to how long it was determined to take though...Been long time for all of us here I bet since we've tried a hoola hoop. It looked like it could be lots more challenging than it was when we were kids! :thinking:
Rained here all day....Looks like lots of weather happening across the US today........Cabin Fever will be setting in and dreams of better weather to get our tear drops out of hibernation.... :thumbsup: :applause: :D
Patty
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Postby hotrod » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:49 pm

I quit smoking a few years back and got more health concious. I had been running some but its cold and lonely running alone in the dark winters here so I more or less gave it up. We bought a Wii for our daughter (and us) for xmas this year, today we picked up a Wii fit. This thing is alot of fun and seems like a decent workout if your honest with yourself. I know its not a gym but the gym is 35 miles one way from here and time limitations put the kybosh on that. As a family we rollerskate once or sometimes twice a week. My biggest vice is overeating, I love food! lolol I cant get my bride interested in taking care of herself but shes interested in the wii, now if she would quit smoking....
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:49 am

If you do want to hula hoop, make sure you get an "adult" hula hoop. The ones for kids won't work well and you will just end up frustrated. Adults need one that is bigger and with more weight.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:17 pm

todays workouts.

25 minutes on the recumbent bike. and 5 on the rebounder.

then about 2 1/2 hours of weight training.

then tonight we went out for a ski. :D

I am a little tired at the moment... 8)
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby toypusher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:19 pm

My workout for today was just short of an hour shoveling and using a snow blower to clean up after the storm. :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Geesh.

Fenlason and Julie make me feel like such a slug!!!!

I did play 1.5 hours of doubles tennis today, but that is it. I had work to do after, and that meant the dogs didn't get walked today. They are not happy with me at the moment.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:33 pm

hmm strength training I guess would be the better term.. some exercises use weights, some is body weight. I did pretty much a full body.. except it was not very leg intensive.

I have started doing some neck exercises. I put an older motorcycle helmet on. It is a modular [for that the front flips up] I flip the front up to add more weight to the top.. and tilt my head side to side.. front to back and twist back and forth looking over my right shoulder then back to the left.

I will later after a few sessions of this add weight to it. This will help me more comfortable for longer distance bicycle and motorcycle rides.

I also not long ago made up a new weight bar. It is longer than a dumbell but shorter than a few barbell. I use this for a "suit case" carry .

You carry the bar at your side like you carry a suit case. Most do it with a weight in each hand. I read about carrying one at a time. It works the core much much harder. It is also very good for your grip.

My longer bar makes it more unstable.. so it take more wrist muscles to hand onto it.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:03 pm

iplay10us2 wrote:Geesh.

Fenlason and Julie make me feel like such a slug!!!!

I did play 1.5 hours of doubles tennis today, but that is it. I had work to do after, and that meant the dogs didn't get walked today. They are not happy with me at the moment.

Hey Tennis is GREAT exercise! and fun too !

I'm on day 10 ... eating good, and not having problems with that.
Did my Ab Ripper (supposed to be 339 ab moves but I did maybe 215 of them!ack!) and my Shoulder & Arms workout... lots of weights and chair dips , etc ... gets the muscles going and the heart rate up but not an aerobic workout... Tomorrow is ... Yoga I think... THAT's a workout!!

Keep bringing it on y'all !!!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:40 pm

I second that.. tennis is great exercise.

I do work out a bit. I do enjoy it. Not that it does not take discipline, there are some mornings when it is a chore to head into my gym.

I have been active for most of my life. I feel better when I am in shape. I like being active.. and healthy ... and that requires keeping at it. As I get older.. I find it more important.. and I find myself wanting to have more of an all around fitness.

Last spring my wife and I bought a baseball and gloves.. to play catch with. I had not done anything of that nature in over 30 years. I would go and try a snowball at someone.. and my aim would be off and it felt funny or would hurt to through. So one in a while we play catch.. it uses those muscles in that way.. and while not particularly challengeing.. it is a hand and eye co-ordination thing.

The hula hoop thing sounds great.

The big things is to vary what you do. Your body gets used to things to easily so that it is not as much work for it. Your muscles and your mind need different stimulus.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby iplay10us2 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:05 pm

Just got back from a 2.25 mile walk with the dogs. I got a late start today because I was trying to wrap up some work stuff so I can take the rest of the week off to play. I have 1.5 hrs of tennis drills tomorrow and will walk the dogs in the afternoon. On Thursday morning, I have a tennis match, and then will attend the Women's SEC basketball tournament for the next few days.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby hotrod » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:53 pm

Today was 25 minutes of running on the wii and 15 minutes of hulahooping, and a few minutes of step aerobics. Its not as easy as those meddling kids make it look. right now Im thinking any exersise is better than what I have been doing. Im feelin the burn in my abs, thats a good thing.. Im actually hoping that this and some stretching helps loosen me up, I feel really stiff on my rollerskates. I wonder how long I can keep it up? Mentally Ive got myself sold on a half hour a day.....
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby iplay10us2 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:07 pm

I had 1.5 hrs. of tennis drills this morning and am back from very hilly 2.6 mile walk with the dogs. I still need to vacuum and mop floors at some point today.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:47 pm

I rode 25 min. on the recumbent this morning. I did a little more intensely than I have been. I then did 5 minuets on the rower. We were supposed to snowshoe with others tonight. So I wasn't going to do anything else till them.

Not long ago.. I learned that has been changed until tomorrow night.. so I did a leg weight workout. because the knee seems to be a little less stable because of the swelling from the gout. I used my multi gym vs free weight squats and such.
I guess I will also try to do a little balance exercises.. before calling it quits.. although my legs are pretty shaking from the work out. :o

:D :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:09 am

You all are doing so good !!!!!! keep bringing it on !!!!

I did do my Day 12 of my workout last night, Legs & Back and the little (339 moves isn't little) Ab Ripper workout.... but I did more like 239 moves.
The legs & back is about 50 minutes of good hard upper and lower leg focus and intertwined with back by doing chin ups! I keep one foot touching a chair to help, but really did about 80 chin ups!!!!

AGRRRRAHHHAAGGGGGRRRRR

<that's that groaning sound during the 'burn'>

tonite it Kenpo... kinda like taebo or kickboxing... aerobic...

julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:33 am

I have a team tennis doubles match this morning, then I will go watch the Women's SEC basketball tournament before coming home to walk the dogs.
More basketball after that.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic