Compounding & Polishing My Teardrop

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby 48Rob » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:18 pm

Danny,

Thats a good thought, and generally correct.

I found that the people I was worried about; i.e. kids, mothers with strollers, ragged looking teens and twentysomethings, had great respect for the trailer, and the finish.
They often admired and commented on how much work it must have been.
It was nice talking to them.

The other people however, the "Oh, we used to have an Airstream" or some other aluminum trailer, were not troubled one bit to lean against it, rub their hands across it, or worse, drag their clothes against it while straining to look in the windows (this while the front door was open...).

Anyway, enough ranting :o If it wasn't so much fun, we wouldn't do it! :D

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tonyj » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:41 pm

Danny,

I didn't want to be discourteous by hijacking your thread and posting my progress, so I started one on my polishing efforts.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=18843&highlight=
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:51 pm

I’m about finished polishing the drivers side now, don’t want to get it too shiny, just all the same.
Jane really likes it :D . I'll need to install all the parts I had to take off.
I was able to sand, compound and polish around my oval stickers using masking tape, saved me $30 each :thumbsup: .
I feel a highly polished tear would be too much maintenance and I was just after ridding it of bad scratches & to make it all look the same in a satin type finish. The roof is still in the original mill finish and I may just compound and polish it a little to make it easier to wash.
Tomorrow I’ll start working on the passenger side and then the galley hatch. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:29 pm

Geepers Danny that looks Great... :applause: :applause: :applause:
And the Mrs has her own private mirror on wheels as well.. :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:34 pm

After 3 weeks of sanding, compounding & polishing the two sides and hatch I’m very pleased with the outcome. The roof has the worst scratches (that’s why their up there) and someday I’ll get around to cleaning it up too but I’m not in any hurry since it’s a long and filthy job, but worth it.
I used the products from this website http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/blmeposy.html including the Porter Cable Polisher, great machine. I bought their wool pads, Blackfire Heavy Cut compound, Blackfire Fine Cut polish and just ordered the Blackfire wet diamond all metal sealant. I used those applicator pads sold in a 3 pack at Walmart that has a Velcro knob that's real handy. I bought the 2 pack replacement applicator pads (blue)@ $1.67 each (Walmart) for applying and I also stuck them on the Cyclo polisher Velcro pads for buffing vs $48 + shipping for 10 fleece rags. All the pads and towels were that micro fiber. I got the towels in a 24 pack at Costco, their yellow & work great, the wife loves them for house dusting too. If you need to sand it's a lot of work to get it back up to a sheen worth living with. I was able to complete the Galley hatch in about 4 hours by hand sanding after using the DA sander to 320 grit. It's a learning process for sure. I took 1200 grit over one of those rubber sanding blocks (see photo below) used for wed & dry sanding and sanded with the grain. That really speeds up the recovery time from sanding. I cleaned up the left over gunk from every application with Stainless Steel Magic and then Sprayway window cleaner (Costco). If you don't keep cleaning up you just drag the old crap around and progress is slow. I was able to wash all the black gunk from the wool pads in the washer with laundry soap, oxiginated cleaning powder & all fabric bleach several times and they are still in great shape. I had to wash down the washer with Formula 409 so as to not stain the next load of laundry. I have an expanding scaffold plank my step dad used for paper hanging in the 1930's. It should work great between 2 ladders and bags of pellets for ballast while I do the roof someday. :D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:57 pm

Update: I used the Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant a couple weeks ago on my polished tear and I'm very happy with the results. It makes the finish even smoother to the touch and I'll bet it would work great on any aluminum teardrop that someone would want to maintain their finish. It went on very easy with the Cyclo polisher and I wiped it off with a micro fiber cloth. It can be hand applied too. The whole process for two sides and galley hatch took less than an hour to do. :thumbsup: It's on sale along with their other polishing products. Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Mike Angeles » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:45 pm

Hy Danny, Looks sharp, you know, I can see owning a Porter Cable polisher but, Im afraid I cant justify a Cyclo thingy...anyway, You had mentioned you pulled of some parts prior to polishing. Anything in particular? Im wondering how polishing the Standard RV Trim along with the Mill finish sides at the same time would work?

Thanks, Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:42 am

Mike Angeles wrote:Hy Danny, Looks sharp, you know, I can see owning a Porter Cable polisher but, Im afraid I cant justify a Cyclo thingy...anyway, You had mentioned you pulled of some parts prior to polishing. Anything in particular? Im wondering how polishing the Standard RV Trim along with the Mill finish sides at the same time would work?

Thanks, Mike

Mike, I took off lights and the "J" molding over the doors and anything else that could get hooked by the compound polisher. I left the insert molding on that is on the corner of the roof & walls, it actually polished up quite nicely. The Cyclo polisher does very little but that little that it does makes it look a whole lot better. The Cyclo polisher would be perfect to polish your tow vehicle too. Use the PC polisher first and then see if you want the Cyclo, that's what I did. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

No Cyclo thingie here

Postby Lesbest » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:17 pm

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... 8422b5d785[url][/url]

This is Shinie aluminum
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Damn!

Postby Lesbest » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:25 pm

Tried to get picture on the reply, ended up with a link. What in the world do I keep doing wrong?

Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:25 pm

Congratulations Danny....that is one eye catching tear! What a wonderful polish you have on it. Doug :thumbsup:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:02 pm

doug hodder wrote:Congratulations Danny....that is one eye catching tear! What a wonderful polish you have on it. Doug :thumbsup:

Thanks Doug, All those scratches kept bothering so much I took a chance and sanded and polished and now we're very happy with the results. The 3 weeks was a lot of work but now I can hardly remember it all :roll: , just enjoying the fruits of my labor. I encourage others not to accept "It's Okay" and do the best your capable of doing, you'll be happier in the end. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:18 pm

ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Off Topic