Geocaching

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 09, 2005 7:58 am

rheagler wrote:I used it towards a Magellan Sport-trac Map, came with topographic map software.

That's the unit I was thinking about getting, how do you like it?
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Just checking things out

Postby Guy » Mon May 09, 2005 1:37 pm

Dear All,

This geocaching sounds like incredible fun. So I started to check out equipment. I KNOW NOTHING. I found this offer for a Magellan Meridien Color with all the attachments and software, plus other accessories on Costco's website. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10037473&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=20181&hierPath=20162*20181*

Is this a worthwhile product and a good deal?
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 09, 2005 2:11 pm

Guy,

From what I have learned so far, you don't need anything that fancy. I'm sure that the guys with more experience can tell you what is needed, but I think that a basic model ($100-$200 range) should work just fine.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby AmyH » Mon May 09, 2005 3:04 pm

Jeff is right, you really only "need" a simple unit. I have the yellow etrex, that runs for around $100, and it works great! All that said, those nice ones with the color displays, etc..., sure are tempting! ;) If you would like to learn more about what you should get in a unit, check out this website: http://www.geocacher-u.com/

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Re: Just checking things out

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 09, 2005 7:03 pm

Guy wrote:Dear All,

This geocaching sounds like incredible fun. So I started to check out equipment. I KNOW NOTHING. I found this offer for a Magellan Meridien Color with all the attachments and software, plus other accessories on Costco's website. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10037473&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=20181&hierPath=20162*20181*

Is this a worthwhile product and a good deal?

Just my 2 cents worth, but black LCD is all you need. And more importantly, iit's more visible in the sun than color is.

You also don't need any accessories. Geocaching is a bare bones kind of hobby.

And as long as we are on the subject, we found a really nice geocache this evening... We hiked about 1/4 mile to find the first clue... then we hiked another 1/4 mile to the second clue... then we started hiking toward the final prize, but we got stopped by thick underbrush and a swamp... some smart aleck... we back tracked, and walked around the swamp, and found the cache easily. There were 3 travelbugs in there... Yea, I got my first travel bug... I found purple foot! :lol:

We've decided that geo caching is a good fit with teardropping! We plan on doing much more geocaching!

Mike...

P.S. A straight line to the geocache is not always the wisest...

P.P.S. Here's more about Purplefoot!!!
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... ker=306605
Last edited by mikeschn on Mon May 09, 2005 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rheagler » Mon May 09, 2005 7:33 pm

Hey Jeff,
I like the Sport Trac Map. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I am very happy with it. The basic unit I believe retails for about $170. I got in in a package with the Topo software, vehicle mount & adapter and PC cable for about $270 after rebate. The basemap in the unit is pretty good, but the topo software maps are much better. I havn't downloaded any topo maps into it yet as NJ's terrain is pretty flat anyway.
For strictly geocaching though, you don't need anything fancy. You could do just fine without a basemap, but you really need one that you can program waypoints into. I'm no expert on all the makes and models, but I think there are some cheaper units that you can't put in waypoints.
Maybe I'll have to make some teardrop travel bugs before I make a full size one..... would that move me from "Teardrop Dreamer" to "Teardrop Builder"? hehehehe
rheagler
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 09, 2005 7:36 pm

I'm thinking about teardrop travelbugs over here too... ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 09, 2005 7:44 pm

rheagler wrote:Hey Jeff,

For strictly geocaching though, you don't need anything fancy.

rheagler,

I was actually looking for one to use hiking and kayaking before I decided to try geocaching, which is why I want one with topo maps. I have an older Magellen right now, that a got a great deal on, and it seems OK for geocaching, but I don't think it is as accurate as the newer ones. It holds several waypoints.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby rheagler » Mon May 09, 2005 9:07 pm

Jeff,
Not being a serious hiker I'm not sure how accurate the topo maps in the magellan software are. They have been fine for us here in NJ where you can't really get in too remote of an area. They do show some off road trails in the state forests and wildlife preserves here, but "remote" in NJ is a lot different than being "remote" in your neck of the woods. The Sport trac does have a feature that it saves your "track" so you can follow it back to where you started or have been before. I didn't shop around a whole lot so I don't know if that is a common feature or not, but I could see how it could be useful hiking or kayaking in a remote area. I have tried real hard to get lost in NJ but can't. Eventually you come to the ocean, Delaware river, or some major highway. Really tough to get lost.
On another note, here's a "prototype" of a Teardrop Travel Bug.....

rheagler
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 09, 2005 10:07 pm

We're not real serious hikers, but like to hike in areas that have lots of elevation changes. It would be nice to be able to look at a map on the GPS and get a feeling of how much more climbing we have to do. We also like to try new places, and I'm sure the maps would help us find our way.

I think most newer GPS units will record a "bread crumb" trail to help you find your way back.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby AmyH » Tue May 10, 2005 10:26 am

Great start on that teardrop travel bug! Before you know it, all the geocachers, that don't know about teardrops yet, will be finding themselves with a new addiction!

Amy :)
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 10, 2005 12:06 pm

AmyH wrote:Great start on that teardrop travel bug! Before you know it, all the geocachers, that don't know about teardrops yet, will be finding themselves with a new addiction!

That was my plan. Wanna help? I'll send you a few teardrops with travelbugs...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Tue May 10, 2005 1:24 pm

Mike, I would love to place some little travel tears in some caches here in Washington. If they were on a keychain with a T&TTT nametag (from the store, hint hint), it could help draw people to this site to learn more. Also, if we number the travel tears we can start tracking their travels! :) I love this idea. :thumbsup:

Amy
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 10, 2005 3:10 pm

There isn't a nametag available at the store... sorry. But that's not stopping me from creating something. I'm thinking about cutting out something with the cnc machine, not quite as big as what Rhonda is holding in her hand..., and then engraving it with the URL to our forum, and a teaser line...
"What every geocacher really needs..."

Then I'll hang travel bugs off of it and we can track the travelbugs on geocache.com

I can see myself doing 20 travel bugs this way for my first release!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Tue May 10, 2005 3:28 pm

Sounds like a great idea Mike, let me know if you would like to release any "travel tears" in Washington State,

Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic