Gas in your area.....

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Ira » Fri May 04, 2007 1:43 pm

caseydog wrote:
George Kraus wrote:Venezuela has assumed control (nationalized) of the last major oil field in their country, the oil companies who were the owners are now minority owners with Venezuela being the majority owner.

Venezuela is number 9 on the oil producing countries list and 10 percent of U.S. imports come from there.

I would guess this is the reason for the recent spike. I would have to guess the question now is, who will they sell their oil to? Any guesses?

Most of our foreign oil comes from countries where the industry is government controled, so the Venezuela situation is not new to the oil industry. Chavez is a blowhard, but he's pretty pragmatic, so I would imagine the oil companies will be able to do a deal with him. Most already have deals pretty much worked out. A few companies are still negotiating.

The recent spike seems to have more to do with lower than expected inventories of finished produt (ie: gasoline) as we are heading into summer, the peak driving season.

Yeah--the Chavez factor has nothing to do with this. These price increases have been going on way before he even announced he was nationalizing the oil industry.

Also, I don't know where you get the fact that we get 10% of our oil from Venezuela, may be true, but they ARE this country's 4th biggest supplier. So I thought it was more than 10%, but 10% is still a lot.

Venezuela is the only non-Arab member of OPEC, and a Venezuelan actually heads OPEC now. (They each take turns, and now it's Venezuela's turn.) This is a guy Chavez appointed, and believe me, Chavez wants to do ANYTHING to hurt this country wherever he can, even if it means really hurting HIS country.

In fact, the "Chavez" Venezuela and its head of OPEC have been screaming for quite awhile to lower production to drive prices up. Not even because it will benefit OPEC members or help the world's economy. It's for the exact OPPOSITE reason--to screw everyone and bring Castro's Cuba to the rest of the world.

And wouldn't THAT be a wonderful place to live?

Thankfully, all of the other OPEC members recognize this bunch of idiots for who they truly are, and ignore them at every turn.

And one more thing:

Venezuela pulled this same crap in the 70s, kicking out the American oil companies, and BEGGED them to come back later. PDVSA (Venezuela's nationalized oil company) is very big and fairly efficient, but they don't know sh** from shine-ola when it comes to getting truly maximum return from existing wells.

Yeah, they know how to get to the easy-to-find stuff, but they don't have the technology, investment dollars or dedicated personnel to make it really profitable.

No offense--but this is Venezuela. Been there 20 times, and it's still a third world country in a million ways. And everyone with brains LEFT the country when Chavez was elected.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Dennis T » Mon May 07, 2007 6:23 am

Topped off my tank yesterday in south New Jersey @ $2.79. Most of the stations heading toward Philly on Rt 73 were the same price.

Dennis T
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Mon May 07, 2007 11:32 am

2.839 yesterday afternoon at Murphy Bros/WalMart............... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Mon May 07, 2007 11:37 am

Coral Springs today…$2.97. Boca Raton 45 minutes later…$3.06.

I won't go to the 3rd decimal point like Jack because it's too depressing:

I'll find myself kicking myself in the ass for later finding it .001 cheaper.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby asianflava » Mon May 07, 2007 12:25 pm

I don't know if it was a temporary drop or something but I filled up for $2.75/gal when most other places were at $2.89
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon May 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Ira wrote:Boca Raton 45 minutes later…$3.06.

It was $3.09 on my way back from "lunch."

(Gee...it's FUN quoting your own self! Try it!!!)
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby neal b » Mon May 07, 2007 5:26 pm

$3.09 here in rosebud mo. today!!!!!! :cry:
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby Esteban » Mon May 07, 2007 6:01 pm

$3.55 yesterday at Chevron in SLO, CA
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby n8ncl » Mon May 07, 2007 8:22 pm

Well gas here is now $3.07, They raised it $.40 cents in 8 hours :x :x and it has taken 4 days to drop it $.12 cents. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Mike jenkins
N8NCL
NAR L3 81653
n8ncl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 07, 2007 8:46 pm

$3.15 here in Lake Orion today...

How long would it take me to go 40 miles on horseback?

How long before GM comes out with the Volt (triple digit fuel economy)?

How long before I sell this house and move closer to work (at 2 to 3 times the price)?

AACK!!!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Podunkfla » Mon May 07, 2007 9:27 pm

mikeschn wrote:$3.15 here in Lake Orion today...

How long would it take me to go 40 miles on horseback?

How long before GM comes out with the Volt (triple digit fuel economy)?

How long before I sell this house and move closer to work (at 2 to 3 times the price)?

AACK!!!

How about $40. worth of gas... and a four hour round trip ...to do a 1 hour job? Of course, you gotta pass the cost on to the customer... and they are getting ripped like the rest of us. Just another reason fuel costs are pushing up the prices of everything else. :(

gas is down to $2.93 here today.
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Kens » Mon May 07, 2007 9:27 pm

The Volt is a pipe dream. Triple diget mpg never. Battery tech is to far away for them to produce by 2010. Just my 2cents.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Joseph » Tue May 08, 2007 5:55 am

Ira wrote:I'll find myself kicking myself in the ass for later finding it .001 cheaper.

I used to do that until I started doing the math. OK, let's say I buy gas and then drive by a place where it's a dime cheaper. Even if I had filled my 17 gallon tank from bone dry the difference would be $1.70. Considering that it's running me about fifty bucks to fill the tank, a buck seventy isn't worth kicking myself in the ass over.

Joseph

Edited to correct typo.
Last edited by Joseph on Tue May 08, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Arne » Tue May 08, 2007 6:42 am

At 3.00/gallon, it cost me 15 cents per mile just for gas (at 20 mpg).

My trip next week to Lex, Ky, will cost about $300 just for gas, down and back.... gonna be eating cheap...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Tue May 08, 2007 11:15 am

I hear you Arne, I'm figuring that the gasoline bill to Utah will be about $450. We are going to try out the big truck this time. The 4-cyl's mileage dropped to about 19 when towing and the truck has been getting about 17 in town so it should be a wash.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic