Internet security - Virus Protection

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Internet security - Virus Protection

Postby purplepickup » Tue May 03, 2005 10:25 am

A few of you here seem fairly computer literate so I thought I'd ask your opinions about Anti-Virus Software. My machine has Windows XP and I've currently got Norton System Works 2002. I've never had any problems with viruses or the software but it probably is getting outdated. I hear horror stories about installing new AV software and having it royally screw things up. :frustrated: I don't want to go thru that but I do want good protection.

My automatic updates are due for renewal in a few days and since things are rolling along pretty smoothly I'm tempted to just renew for another year at $24.95.......But.....with rebates and all, that's about what it would cost to upgrade to current or different software. I'd be interested to hear some opinions from you guys that really know your stuff.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Tue May 03, 2005 10:37 am

I use the free versions of these two
This one for viruses - AVG - http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
and this one for adware - Ad-aware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
They both seem to do a pretty good job, although nothing keeps all the goodies out of your PC on it's own.
Last edited by Nitetimes on Tue May 03, 2005 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby toypusher » Tue May 03, 2005 10:42 am

Norton AntiVirus software is really good (IMHO), but there are others out there that are really good too. I do not like McCaffey (just I personal opinion). I like Norton about the best, but would recommend the get the 'Standalone' Anti-Virus (ONLY) not the internet security package or any other package from them.

Also, read (VERY IMPORTANT), if you change (or upgrade) your current antivirus, GO TO SYMANTEC'S WEBSITE AND GET SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS TO REMOVE WHAT YOU HAVE BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW OR UPGRADE VERSION.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 03, 2005 10:44 am

You'll probably find lots of opinions on this...

I, for example, use Kaspersky as my AV. I don't even know it's running, it's that fast.

I also use Firefox to keep out the Spyware...

I was using a spyware checker (Spy Assassin), but I haven't re-installed it yet.

Mike...

P.S. I've not heard much good about Norton... I've heard it's dog slow, and it messes up many peoples machines...
Last edited by mikeschn on Tue May 03, 2005 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Tue May 03, 2005 10:48 am

....purple, I too used Norton but got tired of having to pay them year in and year out. Two years ago I made the switch to AVG free (now v.7) and have never looked back or regretted the move. I have installed it on the 8 pc's that I am the geek for (family/friends) and all of us are quite happy with it. It updates almost daily, has email scanning and is easy to use, the pro edition is even better and can be bundled with kerio firewall. the free edition is available at http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ranger Rod » Tue May 03, 2005 11:07 am

AVG Free and Adaware are the ones I use now. I got tired of paying Norton also. Both programs are free and the AVG updates automatically and scans emails. The adaware you have to push a couple of links for the latest definitions. Both seem to work really well. I also run Spybot Search and Destroy (free also).

I don't think you can beat them & Free is always nice.
Rod
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toypusher » Tue May 03, 2005 12:02 pm

I also use AntiVir on one of my PC's and it is online 24-7 with no problems (so far) for about the last year or so.

http://www.free-av.com/

I have not used AVG, but have heard all good things about it.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Mike B » Tue May 03, 2005 5:00 pm

Shameless plug for another operating system:

Quite simple, actually. Use Linux instead of Microsoft Windows. No virus checker required. A firewall comes as part of the O/S. Adware, malware, spyware, etc. won't even run on it. And it runs just fine on your PC.

:lol:

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID

Microsloth Windows: /mi:´kroh·sloth` win´dohz/, n.

(Variants combine {Microshift, Macroshaft, Microsuck} with {Windoze, WinDOS}. Hackerism(s) for ‘Microsoft Windows’. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby davel » Tue May 03, 2005 6:29 pm

I use AVG and Microsoft AntiSpyware. Did use Adaware and Spybot for malware, but since the Microsoft AntiSpyware I haven't used those two at home. Also haven't had any malware since then.

AVG is the best virus protection I've found.
davel
Donating Member

Postby DANL » Tue May 03, 2005 7:03 pm

I've been very satisfied with AVG also. I use it on both of our computers. I geek for friends and family and have come across some wierd situations. A friend was complaining about how slow his computer was running and asked me to troubleshoot it for him. I was stunned to find McAffee, Norton, and an AOL version of an anti-virus program all fighting to scan all of the drives on the computer at startup. It took Windows an hour to boot up to usable status and the whole bunch of madness kicked in again when e-mail arrived.

Anyway, I wasn't about to spend hours getting that thing back into good condition so we just went out and bought a nice new (budget) setup. Replaced his old piece of junk with a decent PC and ONLY ONE virus program. Runs great.

Ad Aware SE and Spybot cover my spyware backside. There are more effective catchers out there but, like some of the others here have mentioned, I'm not going to get into the software "rental" situation if I can help it.

BTW... If you need an office suite, you can't beat the price of OpenOffice.org. Almost complete MS Office compatibility for $0.00. I almost feel like a piker for using it.

I'm becoming more and more fond of freeware. It's sort of like all of the great sharing that goes on here in the forum--no charge--lots of fun--a learning experience--and use at your own risk.

Yours for safe computing...
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Denzagrad » Tue May 03, 2005 9:14 pm

I run a hardware firewall/router, a software firewall with matching AV, Firefox, Thunderbird, adaware and spybot. I also have heard Norton has some issues.
Denzagrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby purplepickup » Tue May 03, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks to everyone that actually tried to help with opinions I could use.

My total protection right now is ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, Spybot S&D, AdAware, MS Giant AntiSpyware, and I have AdSubtract Pro which gives me more site and script filter options. I have a two computer network with four hard drives behind a router, an external DVD R/RW, two printers, and some other peripherials. My biggest concern right now is that I pretty much understand everything and it's all working perfectly. I hate to screw things up by changing anything just to save $24 a year.

But....I'm real tempted to try AVG since I've heard great things about it and I think it is a stand alone AV software. If I do, I'm sure I should uninstall all of Norton System Works, per their instructions, but is there anything else I should watch out for?

So many of the firewall and anti virus software companies nowadays combine a lot of features in their software that duplicate protection that I've already got and am comfortable with. I'm afraid that things won't be compatable if I start changing stuff.

I've still got a few days to decide. Thanks again.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby An Ol Timer » Tue May 03, 2005 9:34 pm

I ran AVG for a few years and was completely satisfied with it, but just recently (6 mos back) switched to Avast which is similar to AVG and also free. I think that it is a little easier to use than AVG.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Wed May 04, 2005 5:40 am

purplepickup wrote:So many of the firewall and anti virus software companies nowadays combine a lot of features in their software that duplicate protection that I've already got and am comfortable with. I'm afraid that things won't be compatable if I start changing stuff.

Just get something that is single purpose (Anti-virus ONLY, for example) and you should not have problems.

BTW, swithching to another OS like Linux or MAC will NOT make you immune to viruses and spyware. It will make you a very, very small target, however. The are both probably 99.99% free of the baddies, but not totally immune.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Wed May 04, 2005 4:31 pm

norton sucks..
macavee blows..
I use Avast anti-virus and the Microsoft spyware routine and have yet to get a infection..nary a cough or hiccup.
and i'll vouch for norton sucking..i've had to reformat hard drives for people because norton screwed it up so bad., as for Linux..i have that too..but only to play with because i'm a sucker for punishment.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic