Chickens

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Chickens

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Well it looks like we're getting some chickens. The county changed the zoning law so now we're allowed to keep up to three hens (no roosters). Anyone else have chickens and have some words of wisdom to share? We've been reading the chickens for dummies book.

Now we'll have chickens and bees, before you know it we'll have a goat! :lol:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: Chickens

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:40 pm

I think this is a national trend. I don't know anything about chickens but I thought I have heard some municipalities around here are starting to allow them too. I can only assume it is a reaction to the economy and the movement of self reliance.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:05 am

Well, duh! A solar powered chicken coop door: http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/DIY_so ... or_opener/

Get with program. It's 2014. Time to crawl out of the cave.

Tony 8)
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:48 am

bdosborn wrote:Well it looks like we're getting some chickens. The county changed the zoning law so now we're allowed to keep up to three hens (no roosters). Anyone else have chickens and have some words of wisdom to share? We've been reading the chickens for dummies book.

Now we'll have chickens and bees, before you know it we'll have a goat! :lol:

Bruce
Good thing they don't allow Roosters, I had one once and every time the time changed for daylights saving time I would have to take him to the vet and get him calibrated to crow at the proper time...got too expensive so I ate him.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:54 am

Dutch Oven cooked I hope! :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:16 am

Be fun to see how this works for you, I love the idea of fresh eggs from hens that get to move around eat bugs an grubs and grains.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 am

A synopsis of keeping chickens in the UK

- Some of the new hybrids are really good layers and don't go broody. Bantums are great for going broody and you need to wear welding gloves to collect eggs.
- Check the food, some of the chicken pellet/food includes penicillin or other antibiotics. I used organic.
- Keep on top of vermin, I had a couple of sleek healthy looking rats eating hen food for a while.
- Automate the water supply, they die really quickly when they run out of water.
- Have a regime to collect eggs every day, nothing worse than if they get a taste for their own eggs.
Our neighbor was delighted when we went on holiday; they fed the hens, but kept the eggs for themselves.
- Give the hens food related names like drum stick, hotpot, wishbone etc, For three chickens, I'd use K F and C :lol: then there is no doubt where they are ending up.
Explain to the kids what is going to happen. When we ate one of our hens, the children were 4 and 7 said "not bad but a bit tougher than the ones from supermarket" and carried on munching. Chicken and lamb are a few words that don't change when they become meat.
- Replace the hens every 2 or 3 years or you will have an egg a week and the same food bill.

The fox eventually got mine and work commitments meant I was traveling more so I did not replace them.

This is a rather neat food dispenser. Loads of similar ideas on pinterest.

grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby Verna » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:22 am

Good luck, Bruce. Here's some words of wisdom from this neighbor of a former bad chicken owner/hoarder:

Don't allow the eggs to hatch and four chickens suddenly become 100 (by her own account ), plus the dozen geese and dozen guineas.

Be respectful of the odor that may waft over property lines. We all have about 1/2 acre lots and we don't live in the country. Take care of the cleanliness of their coop and enclosure.

Tell your neighbors ahead of time that you'll have chickens. Listen to the ones who have concerns. Address the concerns. Yes, there are some who will never accept, but live within the rules and laws.

The former neighbor was taken to court by Animal Control and moved out of state, ignoring the summons. It took months of documenting the odors, noise (she had roosters, and I don't think the guineas were ever quiet, wild geese are quieter than domesticated geese, in my opinion), before she received her summons. The neighbors next door were unable to use their pool one summer because of the odor.

I was just thinking this morning that it was actually good that she moved because I 'll bet those poor critters wouldn't have lived through this bitterly cold winter. The owner had no business owning any animals.

So, this is the bad side of chicken ownership. Bruce, I'm sure you'll be a much better owner and neighbor. I think it would be nice to have fresh eggs, but I'm not willing to relinquish the time needed for another hobby.

(Indianapolis has no laws to restrict the number or sex of chickens. I know there are responsible owners here who take care of their flock. I would never have known she had so many chickens if she had managed the size of her flock, the type of fowl, and their living conditions.)
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:17 pm

I had 20 chickens at one time, I do know they are messy I had to make a fenced yard because they were pooping on the porch, There are three chicken houses near me and sometimes the smell will get really gross. Chickens can be fun I had one that if i walked in the yard she would come and sit on my foot. Never knew why just thought it was funny. We had lots of predators, we lost chickens and would just replace them every once in a while, and fix the fence. just remember that Light is the key to good layers. use a light on a timer. Put the light on for more time during the winter I used a heat light when it got really cold. You can crush up the egg shells and put it in their feed it gives them more calcium and dispenses with the shells. I put my coffee grounds in a tub with good black dirt and a few worms, They would recycle the grounds and reproduce then I could put them in the chicken pen in a tub and the chickens would go crazy after them. There is a lot of leftovers etc that the chickens love, corn on the cob and will even eat lettuce and will fight over pork chop bones. I had a mineral calcium block.

If you you don't collect the eggs one or two days it is ok they won't go bad. The egg, is delivered out of the chicken with a protective coating . I know that it is a real bummer to see chicken poop on the egg to but the best way to protect the environment and protected egg don't wash them. once you have washed them the inside of the egg is no longer protected from bacteria. It is best if you do have to wash them rub some mineral oil on the outside, there is a chemical that you can purchase on line that will give your eggs very long lasting quality. My friend has stored eggs for 6 months and when you crack them open they are fine she has a biologest friend who set out to prove that they had more bacteria than a fresh store egg and the store eggs had more. They wash the store eggs and you must use them right away but fresh eggs should not be washed and if you do put on the protective coat they will last at 55 degrees for weeks longer, I know a very long time. so thats my Chicken knowledge!!!

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:12 pm

We just got rid of all of our chickens. The fresh eggs were great, but there is nothing on the planet that smells worse or is more trouble than a dead, wet chicken. I will butcher hogs all day long before I will ever kill another chicken!
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Tom Kurth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 pm

One of the keys to keeping odor down is to keep the litter dry, especially on hot, humid summer days as we have almost all summer here in MO. (Dad's alley neighbor used to keep a few layers.)

One other thing: If you let chickens roam your yard, don't go barefoot. (When I was little we kept a few layers, too.)

Best,
Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:29 pm

I've kept backyard chickens for more than 10 years, 2 or 3 at a time, so I'll jump in.

In the spring you can find chicks for sale in feed stores and sometimes in odd pet shops. Bantams are often showy but are straight run--you won't know if you got pullets (young hens) or cockerels (young roosters) until the cocks start crowing. Bantam hens do lay perfectly edible eggs, but they are small. If you go that route get half a dozen chicks, raise them (in a big box in the garage with a heat lamp to keep them warm until they are fully feathered), and butcher the cockerels when they start crowing. (BTW, skin them rather than dunking the dead birds in boiling water and plucking the horrible wet feathers off.) With three hens, when they are adults, you will get about 2 eggs a day for 7-8 months, no eggs in the winter. If you go for full-sized chickens you can generally get sexed birds--all layers or all meat birds. White leghorns are egg machines, and nervous. If you plan to eat your old layers, don't get these, they are just bones. Black Stars and Red Stars are meat birds, but the pullets are sold as eggers. In my experience they have fragile egg shells, and only medium sized eggs. Easter-eggers/Americanas are novelties with medium sized blue and green eggs. Pretty much any thing else the feed store sells will be a dual-purpose bird. These are calmer birds, generally have large to extra large eggs, and have enough meat on them that you could stew the old hens if you really want to eat a pet. Most feed store chickens will lay brown eggs (white Leghorns lay white eggs).

Chickens don't need expensive quarters. I've seen yuppy chicken coops that were twice as much as I'm spending on my trailer frame. Mine live in an insulated dog igloo with split clear plastic panels hanging down to keep the wind from rushing in. The top lifts right off when we are searching for eggs or changing their nesting material. They have a deep layer of shredded bills and credit card offers that they nest down in. They do NOT have a roost, they stand on the crest of the roof when they want to be up high. The dog house/chicken coop is inside a "portable" dog run, 8 ft wide by 10 ft deep by 6 ft high chain link fencing. Chicks can go straight through the chain link fence, but when they are than small they should be in a big brooder box in your garage or laundry room. I also have a length of garden bird netting (this is fabric netting, not chicken wire) across the top, as I had a real escape artist for a while. Every spring and fall the dog/chicken run gets wrestled off the ground by 4 adults and moved over either 8 ft (a different section of my veggie garden) or the whole width of the yard (to the part of the yard that is sunny in the winter). I then put concrete pavers side by side all around the perimeter of the run, to keep critters from digging under the chain link fencing. My whole yard is fenced also with a 4 ft high chain link fence, which is high enough to keep a fat old hen in the yard, but not a spry young pullet. It also isn't high enough to keep coyotes, raccoons, or skunks out. The coyotes (and BAD dogs) will make off with a free-ranging chicken before you can blink. Raccoons will reach right through the chain link fence and grab sleeping chickens that are outside of the dog house/coop at night. They can also climb over the 6 ft chain link fence, giving another reason to cover the top with bird net. Young skunks can squeeze THROUGH the chain link, but fortunately they only eat the eggs. Rats and adult snakes can also be egg eaters. Chickens, OTOH, can be baby rodent and baby snake eaters. Funniest thing in the world to watch hens with baby garter snakes in their beaks chasing each other around the yard.

Okay, when I'm in the yard I do let the chickens out of their run. But they are messy, pooping on the patio and near the back door, scratching up plants in the veggie garden, making dust wallows where the tomato seedlings just got planted, that sort of thing. I have some sections of 36 inch "garden fence" that I put around the veggie garden and the pea/sunflower spiral, but sometimes I discover my fat hens can still fly that high, and they are safely IN the garden scratching away. Oh, and they LOVE to help find grubs and earth worms in the spring when I am turning over the garden. Yup, they come running when I get out the spading fork! However, THEY MUST BE FENCED AND IN THEIR COOP AT NIGHT! Even in Littleton you will discover things come out at night that will maim, kill, and eat your pets (and yes, they will become pets). When they are new to the run and coop, they won't know to go inside the coop at sunset. They will fall asleep next to the fence and the raccoons will find them. You will have to be Mom and put them in the coop every night at sunset until they get the routine. It will only take a week or two. Do NOT put any sort of roost (say a tree branch) through the fence. Dumb chickens will roost next to the fence and the raccoons will find them. If you want to give them a roost, put an old saw horse in the CENTER of the run, AWAY FROM THE FENCE. But don't let the chickens get in the habit of roosting there at night, or you'll have to re-teach them to go into the coop an night during the winter. (Does it sound like I've done all these things? Yup, I have some sad stories.)

I've lost chickens to coyotes and to raccoons. The coyotes run off with them. It's sad, but it's over quickly. Raccoons kill and eat them right there, and leave the surviving hens (and any kids in the household) with PTSD (and the hens not laying eggs). I hate raccoons!

My chickens have a heated dog bowl for water (not plugged in during warmer seasons), and since we check on them every day we don't have auto-fill. They also have a large rabbit feeder hung on the fence and dispensing their pellets and scratch. They don't need as much calcium when they aren't laying, and they need more carbs for warmth, so they get layer pellets and scratch half and half in the winter. When they are laying they get straight layer pellets (the pellets have the calcium in them already so I don't have to also offer shell). The food is in the dog/chicken run, but outside of the dog house/chicken coop. The rabbit feeder has a sloped lid and overhang, and a mesh bottom, so even in moderately damp weather the feed mostly stays dry enough for the chickens to finish it off before it petrifies or gets moldy. In a wetter climate I would put some sort of shelter over it. I prefer to hang the food at beak height than to put a feeder on the ground. They will poop in anything, including food and water bowls. I am okay dumping the water bowl once a day (especially as I can dump it in my veggie garden), but I'm too frugal to dump the food dish every day. When it snows, the chickens stay in the coop (which has its clear plastic hanging door flaps facing south) until there is some sign of melt. Where we live that is generally within hours of the snow falling. If the weather stays bad, we put them in a pet taxi and keep them in the laundry room (we don't have a garage) until all better. The dog house/coop is not heated, and two chickens can only generate so much body heat, so when the temperature is forecast to be below 20 F at night, we bring them in.

During the growing season they also get all the weeds pulled in the garden, the trimmings from veggies, and any bugs and larva picked out of the veggie garden. Chickens LOVE tomato horn worms, corn ear worms, and cabbage worms!!! They also love overgrown zucchinis, all red tomatoes, and post-Halloween pumpkins.

Chickens are social animals, so if you only have one it will chase your cat (or dog) around the yard trying to be a friend. Herding dogs are okay with chickens, by the way, but retrievers sometimes get too rough when the chickens stray and need to be "retrieved." Cats find them annoying, and will give you THAT LOOK, to let you know you are as crazy as your chickens. No large pets should be allowed near the young chicks.

Watch the movie "Chicken Run." Before you have chickens it is just a funny movie. After you live with chickens for a while you will start to recognize some of those birds!
:lol:

BTW, if you get turkey chicks (called poults), name them Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sadly, I would say name your first chickens Raccoon Bait and Coyote Bait. But don't name your hens Lunch and Dinner, or other meal names. That's just mean, and unless your are a hunter or from a farm family, you aren't really going to have it in you to eat them when they slow down their egg production. And they don't slow down as much as the commercial operations would have you believe. I only had one chicken make it to 5 years, and she no longer layer 6 eggs a week, she was down to 4. But they were BIGGER eggs than the younger girls produced. Anyway, the whole point of backyard chickens is the eggs, not the meat.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby GerryS » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:23 am

I'd love to keep a couple hens. But sadly, HOA an local regulation restricts then as livestock supposedly because of mess and noise. Meanwhile, the neighbors dog that barks at all hours and craps on everyone else's lawn and sidewalk goes without notice by anyone.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks all for the informative posts, it's very interesting reading! I'd love to see some pictures of everyone's chickens posted. :pictures:

Bruce

P.S. I've already told Jean we need to come up with a plan for the older hens, I doubt I could ever butcher them. They 'll need to go to the country to stay... ;)
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 pm

jstrubberg wrote:We just got rid of all of our chickens. The fresh eggs were great, but there is nothing on the planet that smells worse or is more trouble than a dead, wet chicken. I will butcher hogs all day long before I will ever kill another chicken!

HaHaHa! I think hogs smell the worst of anything in the world, especially hog poop! To each their own.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Off Topic