Don’t buy peaches at Wal mart !!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Don’t buy peaches at Wal mart !!!

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:49 am

Shopping the other day at the WM , we saw the first peaches of the season ... $3.48/ lb. :o But they were so pretty , we bought a few... When we got home , every one was Rotten inside ... :frightened: We’ll be bring them back today demanding a refund ... It’s enough of an insult to charge that much for common peaches , but to have them all BAD is just too much ... I just may stop shopping at Wal Mart for food entirely ... Their prices are no cheaper than anywhere else , and the quality is POOR ... :thumbdown:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Don’t buy peaches at Wal mart !!!

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:22 am

We are fortunate to have a Cosco down the street from Wallmart where they pay their workers a living wage and have better quality. Your Peaches most likely did not come from the US and spent a lot of time from when they were picked.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:15 am

SC, There’s a new Costco in town , we’ll have to check that out ... Thanks !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:11 am

Took the rotten peaches back to the WM ... They were nice about it and refunded the money and even apologized I didn’t get to enjoy them ... The lady behind the counter remarking “ For 3.50/lb. you must have wanted those Peaches Bad!!! “ :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 am

Costco is GREAT. No comparison to WallyWorld. Then only problem is that "Wall Street" criticizes them for treating their employees well!

Costco's Dilemma: Be Kind To Its Workers, or Wall Street?

By ANN ZIMMERMAN Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

When it comes to workers, companies can be accused of not paying enough -- or paying too much.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s parsimonious approach to employee compensation has made the world's largest retailer a frequent target of labor unions and even Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, who has accused the Bentonville, Ark., chain of failing to offer its employees affordable health-care coverage.

In contrast, rival Costco Wholesale Corp. often is held up as a retailer that does it right, paying well and offering generous benefits.

But Costco's kind-hearted philosophy toward its 100,000 cashiers, shelf-stockers and other workers is drawing criticism from Wall Street. Some analysts and investors contend that the Issaquah, Wash., warehouse-club operator actually is too good to employees, with Costco shareholders suffering as a result.

"From the perspective of investors, Costco's benefits are overly generous," says Bill Dreher, retailing analyst with Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. "Public companies need to care for shareholders first. Costco runs its business like it is a private company."

Costco appears to pay a penalty for its largesse to workers. The company's shares trade at about 20 times projected per-share earnings for 2004, compared with about 24 for Wal-Mart. Mr. Dreher says the unusually high wages and benefits contribute to investor concerns that profit margins at Costco aren't as high as they should be.

Costco, which opened its first store in 1983 and now has 432 locations, disputes the contention that it takes care of workers at the expense of investors. "The last thing I want people to believe is that I don't care about the shareholder," says Jim Sinegal, Costco's president and chief executive since 1993, who owns about 3.2 million Costco shares valued at $118 million based on yesterday's price of $36.96, up 52 cents, in 4 p.m. Nasdaq Stock Market trading. "But I happen to believe that in order to reward the shareholder in the long term, you have to please your customers and workers."

CLOCKING IN

Comparing some workplace statistics from Costco and Wal-Mart

Costco / Wal-Mart

Employees covered by company health insurance 82% 48%

Insurance-enrollment waiting periods (Full-time) 3 mos 6 mos

Insurance-enrollment waiting periods (Part-time) 6 mos 2 yrs

Portion of health-care premium paid by company 92% 66.60%

Employees who work part-time 43% 30%

Annual worker turnover rate 24% 50%

Source: the companies
Read more at faculty.washington.edu/janegf/costcovswalmart.html
OR online.wsj.com/article_email/SB108025917...3oJ2pan2IbauIm4.html
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Way too early in the season for stone fruit. Had to have been stored over the winter.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:31 pm

I have always found the fruits at our Walmart to be of poor quality compared to the regular grocery stores. Even the not so pretty stuff at Aldi is better (cheaper too.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Verna » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:12 am

A recent survey of grocery stores had Walmart coming in dead last. Comments ranged from low quality fruit and veggies to sale items sold out, but replaced with more expensive items (bait & switch), to not enough registers open to quickly handle the shoppers. Even though a Walmart is a mile from my house, it is the last choice for my shopping.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:39 am

Verna, I sure have to agree.... about ALL of the above ... :roll: I’d only been shopping for groceries there cause’ they had other things , like a auto and sporting goods section , clothes , computer stuff, garden center... More a convenience than good sense... :duh: Think , I’ll be shopping around more in the future , and Costco sure looks worth investigating but is about 20 mi. away ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom Kurth » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:19 am

Walmart seems to practice the same thing politicians do--say aomething often enough and people are bound to believe it. I'm the grocery shopper in our home and no matter how often I see Walmart commercials claiming lower grocery prices, I am convinced I get better deals by buying at local stores that have the traditional three-week sale cycle. I just have to buy ahead and freeze meat products till I'm ready to use them. I rarely buy ready to eat products and cook almost everything from scratch so this might not be the same for everyone. The only thing I find I like better at the Walmart is a larger selection of meat varieties on an everyday basis.

Best,
Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:52 pm

We used to like WM because they handled the bigger sizes , but that’s all been done away with (the big “remodel” ) in favor of corporate profitability ... :roll:

I also saw (TV show) where WM takes out life insurance policies on their employees , where They (WM) are the beneficiaries :o , so that friendly old greeter at the door may be worth more to them Dead than alive ... That’s pretty GREEDY eh ??? :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:56 pm

The wife just commented that “WHEN" WM goes out of business , she hopes they don’t just abandon those big buildings everywhere... :NC Enough of that already ... :duh:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Don't buy peaches at Walmart? :thinking:

Don't buy anything at Walmart :NC

I don't "trust" anything they sell.. but I definitely would not trust anything I would be putting in my body :frightened:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby GerryS » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Don't worry, the only thing I'll buy from them is....wait...NOTHING. That company is evil, and I won't deal with them as long as there is any other choice....and that includes doing without if possible.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:40 pm

I have been Walmart free since October 2013, I will never go there again unless it is to protest unfair labor practices. I do not need the crap they sell.

As far as the peaches.... Mmmmm soft fuzzy, very absorbent peaches. Unless you eat organic peaches, you should have to wear a hazmat suit to eat commercial peaches. The workers that spray up to 50 different chemicals on your peach have to wear one. :?
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic