My new project need simple cad program advice

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: My new project need simple cad program advice

Postby Aaron Coffee » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:32 pm

I don't know if I should admit what it is, it might make purists go ballistic. Oh, well. The blue swing arm and wheel are from a 65-69 Honda S65, the red swing arm that I used half of is off another Honda, don't know exactly what, as it was longer than the blue one and had a different size bushing. I wanted the chain on the right side, to flip the wheel, the slot on one side of the swing arm was wider than the other. I started to file the small slot, then it hit me, just flip the swing atm upside down. I was going to remove the shock mounts, then thought about leaving them, in case I need to add weight to aid in traction if need be.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aaron Coffee » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:56 pm

Another question. This is a ways off yet, but what are people's thoughts. Varnish, polyurethane or tung oil for the wood finish? Will be using either 5/4 or 1 x3 box store oak. We used multiple coats of tung oil on the soap box derby floorboards, and it seems to stand up pretty good, not sure of uv stability though. Thoughts?
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Spar varnish is UV resistant. Everything else depends on what it says on the label. I'm assuming you'll store this under cover so UV exposure will not be the same as something stored outside in the sun.

Cool build, a car museum not too far from me has one of these.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Thoughts?

I have not done a woody, so keep that in context.

But if I were to do one, I would fiberglass/epoxy and then coat with a quality spar varnish for UV protection.

Fiberglassing is a rather simple affair.

Without glassing, the plywood may check.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic