Re-purposing a gas oven

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re-purposing a gas oven

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue May 25, 2021 7:20 pm

Our oven went out again.

Last time, Shelly fixed it by replacing the igniter. This time she's using it as an excuse to upgrade to a better oven. (ANY oven is better, in her considered opinion.) And, since she cooks most of the meals, who am I to complain?!

But the folks bringing in the new one want $30 to haul our old one away (joke's on them, by the way, we didn't tell them the kitchen is on the 2nd floor, the driveway requires 4 wd, etc.) On the way home, Shelly suggests we need to strip off anything useful, like the grates, oven light, and so forth. I immediately think of the timer, which still works fine. :thinking:

Of course, the thought leads to how much would be left if we take out everything useful? Maybe we can take it apart ourselves and dispose of it appropriately. (I mean, take it to a legal dump--not the West Mesa "gift exchange".)

So:

1. Anyone know how the timer/controller works on these things (Whirlpool circa 2007)? Can I make the timer work stand alone? Probably too much to hope for, but it would really be something if they converted to 12 VDC and I could build the timer into the teardrop.

B. Any other ideas for re-purposing this thing, or the parts? (If you don't have good ideas, funny or sarcastic ideas will do just fine)

If I knew more about gas fixtures, I might consider building a camp stove out of the parts. Oh what the heck, trial and error, what can go wrong? :cigar:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Re-purposing a gas oven

Postby Sparksalot » Tue May 25, 2021 8:01 pm

Often followed by, "hold muh beer and watch this..."
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Re: Re-purposing a gas oven

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:44 am

Get a schematic drawing of the circuit and a parts view of the oven and start harvesting parts. The timer is just a fancy switch.

Converting it to 12v will take some knowledge of circuits but can be done.

However, it's probably safer and ultimately cheaper to buy a camp stove if that's the goal.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Off Topic