Better than a rubber snake!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:58 am

We're now hiring our Summer Cabin Pest Extermination Team (exterior), and this guy showed up for an interview

165899 165898

Some sort of bull snake?

No problem finding help despite the government stimulus checks. These folks work for food!

We have open steps from the porch to the ground level, and a few years ago a large bodied snake showed up wearing a diamond back, to fool predators into thinking he was a rattler. I met him on a middle step as I was walking halfway down. Since I couldn't see his head or tail, just his diamonds, he fooled me! (If you ever meet Shelly, she may claim I used words I only use in the workshop, and she may even claim I raised my voice. I deny that! But it did get my attention.)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Better than a rubber snake!

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:00 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:We're now hiring our Summer Cabin Pest Extermination Team (exterior), and this guy showed up for an interview

165899 165898

Some sort of bull snake?

No problem finding help despite the government stimulus checks. These folks work for food!

We have open steps from the porch to the ground level, and a few years ago a large bodied snake showed up wearing a diamond back, to fool predators into thinking he was a rattler. I met him on a middle step as I was walking halfway down. Since I couldn't see his head or tail, just his diamonds, he fooled me! (If you ever meet Shelly, she may claim I used words I only use in the workshop, and she may even claim I raised my voice. I deny that! But it did get my attention.)

Tom
I had one scare the crap out of me Tuesday for the same reason. You can call them bull snakes or gopher snakes. One is a subspecies and I don’t no a soul that can tell them apart. Perhaps it’s a range thing.

Their evolutionary coloration and rattle like noise is amazing.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby LeftyDale » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:01 pm

Yes they flatten their head and shake leaves with their tail to fool you. I've seen bull snakes four and a half feet long in Colorado.
LeftyDale
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimC » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:52 am

Locals here in NE Wisco and the UP commonly call these guys Pine Snakes. I think they are Eastern Fox Snakes. He is well camouflaged. You can just make out his light brown head looking at me. I heard him "rattle" well before I found him on a recent hike with my dog. About four feet long.

Back in '91 when we moved into our new home the movers put a lot of the stuff in the garage. The next day I walked out of the door and inside a paper grocery bag was this rattling noise. Well, we had just returned from a week long vacation on Bois Blanc Island on Lake Huron and learned about Michigan's only venomous Rattlesnake, the Eastern Massasauga Rattler. Needless to say I stayed clear of him. I called our local police to come and check it out. Randy, the Chief, gave a good laugh when he opened the bag and found a Pine snake. I didn't bother telling him about our stay where rattler's live. Randy still laughs about this years later when I run into him.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:04 am

By the way, this would be a really good time to pull out the rubber snake from your teardrop and set it somewhere around your house. Kinda like being in grizzly country with a friend, letting out a grunt, and grabbing your bear spray extra fast. (And then saying, "just practicing.")

:shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:11 am

tony.latham wrote:

By the way, this would be a really good time to pull out the rubber snake from your teardrop and set it somewhere around your house. Kinda like being in grizzly country with a friend, letting out a grunt, and grabbing your bear spray extra fast. (And then saying, "just practicing.")

:shock:

Tony

My brother had a "pet" garter snake for awhile. He kept him in a terrarium on top of our TV. (For you younger folks, TV's in those days had enough depth that you could..oh well, not important!) Hot August night, lights off to keep it as cool as possible (For you younger folks, lights used to give off heat); I was watching Carson in my bear feet...er, bare feet. Had to get up to change the channel. (For you younger folks, Carson was a...not important; and we had to get up to change the channel because...ok, not important.) Anyway, I stepped down, felt the snake glide by, realized right away who he was, reached down and managed to grab him in the dark. My reflexes must have been good in those days; possibly better than my judgement.

Anyway, got the snake back where he belonged. Guess he was tired of meal worms and wanted to eat out for a change.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:25 am

and wanted to eat out for a change.

Good one. Perhaps bear and snake stories fit in the same niche?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:51 am

https://youtu.be/VeOZgz_FzYw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master