Thru Hikers!?!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Thru Hikers!?!

Postby Dahlia47 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:07 am

In the fall I plan on doing a one night hike. Hike up, pitch a tent, hike down. Camp a few more nights in the TTT. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare or train for the weight I ll be carrying? I haven't done anything like this since I was a kid. And that was a rafting trip on the Chama River. Wasn't a lot hiking. Ill be carrying small tent, extra pants, shirt, socks, undies, snacks, oatmeal, maybe a can of spaghetti, a propane tank and burner and water. My husband and daughter will be going as well. I dont know how much I should add to my pack each time I train. And from what I read, 1 litre of water for every hour you are out and about. I've done a lot of hiking but not like this. I am starting off small and I will work my way up longer thru hikes. If anyone has any experience in this and/or has advice, thank you!
I checked out a forum on hiking and it doesnt seem very active.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Thru Hikers!?!

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:33 am

And from what I read, 1 litre of water for every hour you are out and about. I've done a lot of hiking but not like this.

That's a lotta water (weight). I used to fight fire in Alaska and my specialty was dealing with the logistics of supporting large numbers of people maybe 300 miles from the nearest road system. Our magic number was one gallon (four liters) per person per day. Fighting fire ––as you can imagine–– is arduous work.

I've got a friend that thru-hikes every summer. I know he uses a Sawyer squeeze water filtration system for water he finds on the trail. I'm sure he has it planned on where he can water up.

There have to be forums just for these long adventures, that cover gear, and specific trails, eh?

Tony
Last edited by tony.latham on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:38 am

I've looked at the forums and joined one. Not very active. Which is disappointing.
Youre water advice seems to make more sense.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:03 am

Hopefully you can find water sources because a 2 day trip for three is a lot of weight. I like gravity filters but tablets (Katadyn Micropur are mygoto and no taste what so ever), pumps, and UV pens are all options.

Simplify food and cooking. Grocery store has lots of pasta sides that are light. Consider freeze dried backpacking meals. Or for 1 or a few nights, no cook meals. Bars, shelf stable meats (jerky, summer sausage), hard cheeses, tortillas, etc. NO canned food! Light camping stoves, not 1 pound propane stoves. Minimum spare clothes, just socks often.

Lay out everything before you go and don't pack anything you can survive without. You'll still take too much but better.

While its canoe trip oriented, www.bwca.com is very active and has a lot of gear and food suggestions. People respond to questions fast. And there is an on foot forum there.

I'm working towards a long backpack trip, like a month or more. So far 2 weeks is my max.

Good luck!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:06 am

My experience is minimal, expired, and not helpful. But I know a *lot* of people that backpack very regularly, year-round. I think it would be very helpful if you searched out a good group to get advice from.
Forums are dying.
Most people have turned to Facebook groups - or MeWe.

-

I agree. Too much water.
Great in theory. But you won't drink that much, and definitely won't want to carry it.

Really consider why you want and might need a change of clothing (other than socks and underwear), and think hard about what you can do on the trail to remedy any of those situations without having to carry the weight. Most of the backpackers that I know don't take anything but weather protection and socks and underwear for summer trips - even weeks-long - unless they're going with a group of teenagers for a school trip. (Adults and teens running around in their underwear is, unsurprisingly, not condoned by the organizations involved.)
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:26 pm

Thank You All
I hate facebook. That little twerp needs an arse kicking.
anyways....

I'll check out the forum. And definitely rethink the propane and pants.

I had wanted to do this last year after my youngest graduated, but the virus ruined that. It was going to be a celebration of sorts. And a move into my 3rd of phase.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby rjgimp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:00 pm

The BSA operates a high adventure base near Cimarron NM known as Philmont Scout Ranch. Scouts have been undertaking multi-day hikes through rugged mountain terrain for some 80 years and have amassed an enormous amount of knowledge doing so. There are considerable resources available on Philmont's website, including instructional videos as well as supplies and used gear for purchase.

https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/resources/
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby western traveler » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:04 pm

So not specific information but perhaps this will help.

Every summer we have hikers doing the Continental Divide starting in New Mexico and hiking through to the Canadian border. They come out of the mountains to our town to resupply, pick up mail and refresh etc. I live just off the road they use to get to town. It is an hour by truck one way so anytime we (townsfolk) see them coming or going we pick them up. The one thing I always ask is how much weight are you carrying? Nearly always 20-24Lbs and they are doing months. They don’t reach us till mid August.
I am always curious because my daypack usually weighs that…

REI (Recreational Equipment Inc) rents equipment for those that don’t want to commit to the expense of acquiring that level of equipment for a hike or 3.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:17 pm

The one thing I always ask is how much weight are you carrying? Nearly always 20-24Lbs ...

Those same leather-skinned skinny folks sometimes straggle off the Great Divide here in Salmon for mail and resupply and I see the same thing. Sub-thirty-pound packs. It's amazing.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:55 pm

One thing from my youth that always stuck with me from a talk an older scout gave about his adventure hiking at Philmont... to save weight he cut the handle off his toothbrush! If you do sixteen things that save an ounce, you just kept a pound off your back.
:shock:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:36 pm

Is the 20-25 without good and water? I get that especially on CDT where you might have to go 10 days to resupply. 2 liters if water - 4.4 pounds - and 10 days food -15 pounds - gets it to 40s. I have a tough time getting under 45-50.

When i replaced some gear for Philmont trek, each pound reduced was about $100. Pad, sleeping bag, and tent - 8 pounds saved.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:49 pm

Is the 20-25 without good and water?

That's what's on their backs. They watch weights by the half ounce.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Off Topic