Table saw horse power

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Table saw horse power

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:52 pm

So (for the sake of closure, for this folder) we now have our Sawstop saw. Borrowed the Tundra on Tuesday afternoon and picked it up at the loading dock, brought it up to our workshop, and used the Tommy Lift to lower the boxes.

168872 168873

Each of them weighed about a ton, so I figure the entire saw weighs at least 7 tons! We slid that big one in. Luckily the pallet was slippery! Oh, we got a great deal too: They gave us the saw for half price if we also bought the pallet for $1400. What a deal! :thumbsup:

Seriously, that big box had the saw, the motor, and a bunch of small parts in it. I'd've thought they could have at least given the motor a box of its own to split the weight up a little. Ah well.

After we returned the truck, I spent the rest of the afternoon taking inventory

168875 168876 168877

168878 168879

Quite a bit in there! I couldn't locate the riving knife at first; turns out they shipped it installed, but we wouldn't know that until the next day when we finally turned the saw over.

Ya know, somewhere in this world there must be--or at least have been--a person who tried to eat these, hence the warning :NC

With so many parts, it's important to follow the directions. I tried to wing it at first, but the finished product just wasn't looking right

so I took it apart and tried again. Assembled the base Tuesday evening, the saw proper Wednesday morning, the railing Wednesday afternoon, and the fence this morning. Finally, got it looking right

Even had a few parts left over

The metric ball-Allen wrench came with the saw. I have no idea where it was supposed to be used :thinking:

The directions are fairly good. (Reminds me of the Heathkits I used to build back when there was a Heathkit.) A few typos and mis-labeled diagrams here and there, but nothing major. Just a lot of fun to put together.

Most importantly, it seems to work as advertised. We each made a test cut and didn't trip the brake yet. :thumbsup:

I will have to add dust collection. We'll need a few pieces to adapt it to the spare shop vac I plan to dedicate to the saw. I'll also add about 3/4 inch to the height of our layout table so it will be a good outfeed table.

Oh, one thing I learned to my disappointment: The unused blade from the 2-pack that we bought back when our friend first lent us the Craftsman contractor saw, shouldn't be used in the Sawstop due to the paint around the teeth. It might prevent the brake from firing.

Overall, we're very happy with our purchase. Back when we got married 7 1/2 years ago, my Mom gave us a check for a wedding present, and we agreed to use the money to buy a good table saw, so this is our wedding present.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic