UNTANGLING THE AC SIDE OF LIFE

Anything electric, AC or DC

UNTANGLING THE AC SIDE OF LIFE

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 02, 2013 7:44 am

OK I was bothered yesterday by a post where a newbie builder was going to hire an electrician to wire his AC on his build.

I woke up at 3 AM thinking about this and what could be done to help out. So I went out to the caboose and brought in a few things and tried to make a simple mock up of how the outlets and switches work.

So this is my attempt to untangle the AC side of tiny trailer building.

A few small sections of romex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pealed back and the ground paper removed

For this example I removed the outer sheath so you could better see the colors and understand the path of the electricity.
Here are the parts

a fuzzy picture of a duplex outlet.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
The thing to note here is that there are silver and gold screws and a green one. Gold is hot silver is not and green is ground is a good way to remember the color scheme.

The ground and the neutral (white) continue on and on from fixture to fixture only the black is interupted with switches.
________________________________________________________________________________________

note there are only 2 GOLD screws on the switch indicating black or (hot) wires.

Take a stripper tool and remove about 3/4 inch of insulation
__________________________________________________________________________________
You can check its length by a stripping gage on the back of most outlets

I started with a short section of 12-2 extention cord with ground and added it to these duplex outlets

_________________________________________________________________________________
with most stranded wire it is best to use the forked crimp connectors to make a neat connection.

Here I have added a light bar and a switch note all the white and ground wires "play thru" and ONLY the hot is interupted with the switchs

_______________________________________________________________________________________

The light bar has a little screw fitting marked grd for ground. (I have lost the screw for this one ) see the box!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Here we have flipped everything over and powered up the little jug lamp and fan are both working

___________________________________________________________________________________
and with a flip of the switch

I have used the simple pig tail just like shown above for the power connection to most of my trailers. I have relied on the campground for the safety breakers however there are several "smart" extention cords that have GFI and Surge protection built into them.

I hope this simple experiment helps to clear up some of the mystery about wiring AC
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: UNTANGLING THE AC SIDE OF LIFE

Postby steve cowan » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 am

That's very "illuminating" Bob Henry. This is what makes this forum great.

Steve
steve cowan
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets