Power

Anything electric, AC or DC

Power

Postby mikevet » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:03 am

So I plan on boondock most of the time. I don’t wNt a generator because of carrying fuel and the NOISE. I figured for the price of the generator, I could get more battery and solar. I’m building this camper from the ground out.
My plan was to have solar panels hinged on the driver side wall while driving then prop them up at 60,90,120 degrees or whatever degrees needed to capture the sun. A beefed up alternator could charge the system if under trees or overcast.
My ac will be self contained and have it’s own lithium battery.
A rough audit of my system is led puck lights 3 watts each = 30 watt total, 12 volt cooler 45watt, ice maker 100 watt, iPad phone charging avg in 24 hour is 10 watts per hour, roof fan 18 watts. So that’s 230 watts per hour. So 24 hours that 5500 watts. That seems like a lot. Am I doing something wrong with my calculation?
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Power

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:34 am

That is a lot.

I think your math is off since you won't be running your fan for 24 hours or charging your phones for long or any of those appliances full time.

But yeah, your ice maker and cooler eat a lot of juice. Is this for a teardrop?

Placing the solar panel on a wall like that would necessitate parking with that side facing south. Which could be a real pain.

:thinking:

How will you charge your AC battery?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikevet » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:37 pm

You are correct on continuous power. I didn’t think of that.

For my panels’ I plan putting them on a hinge just like a door or hatch so I can swing them 180 degrees.
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:00 am

mikevet wrote:A rough audit of my system is led puck lights 3 watts each = 30 watt total, 12 volt cooler 45watt, ice maker 100 watt, iPad phone charging avg in 24 hour is 10 watts per hour, roof fan 18 watts. So that’s 230 watts per hour. So 24 hours that 5500 watts. That seems like a lot. Am I doing something wrong with my calculation?

As a matter of fact, yes that is incorrect (though understandable). Watts is a measure of power and you are interested in energy. Don't divide the watts by hours.

Instead, divide the watts (for each device) by the 12 volt system, and the result will be the current in amps. Now multiply each by the number of hours per day you plan to use that device. The units will be amp-hours (which, as long as we understand it's a 12 volt system, is a good measure for energy).

Add up the results from the different devices in amp-hours and that is how much of your battery's energy (also expressed in amp-hours) you will use each day.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets