Solar Panel Installation Opinions needed

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar Panel Installation Opinions needed

Postby WilsoninCA77 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:08 am

Hey guys.

Pretty much a newbie here. I was looking for a place to post something about my solar panel questions but failed to find one.

So I posted on here. Mods can just feel free to move the thread to anywhere that’s in line with the rules.

OK so let’s just cut to the chase.

I want to attach a solar panel to the top of my trailer. And I got 2 questions.

1. It seems there are many folks go with thin film solar panel, how do they perform? I also read that many of the flexible solar panels seem to fail within 2~ 4 years. So I’m kind of choosing between the rigid solar panel and a flexible one.

2. Which brand would you guys recommend? I read hell lots of reviews and comments on the website and don’t know how to choose lol.

Thanks a million!

Harry
WilsoninCA77
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Solar Panel Installation Opinions needed

Postby Minics04 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:52 am

1. I would do rigid. You can mount them or get a solar suitcase which you can set out and adjust to the sun as needed.

2. I have Renogy and have been very pleased with them.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GTS225 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:42 am

Yep.....rigid panels. You can now get residential panels that output as much as 350 watts. One panel, and the right charge controller, and you don't need to mount it.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:35 am

The problem with flexible panels is that most are cheap junk made from PET plastic. My Renogy is doing fine after four years and has the same guarantee as their glass panels. It--and a few others--are made from ETFE.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:17 pm

My 100W Renology panel is free standing so I don't have to park my brown trailer in the sun. Twenty feet of 10 Ga. cable connects to the trailer.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby TNsniper74 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:02 pm

Personally, I’m using a BougeRV 100w flexible solar panel attached on the rooftop of my RV. Bought it about 3-4 months before.

At first what attracted me is that it can connect to my RV without any holes drilling, and it fits with my RV just like it was born for there.

Though I can’t speak for the lifespan of their product now, I can tell you that it’s more durable than I thought, maybe that’s because they didn’t use glass to make this panel.. I can even step on it while not breaking it.

Another thing that I love about these panels is that the quality of the craftsmanship with the frame, I built up my solar system and I think if you are a newb into solar, you can’t get wrong with these too. :wine:

https://www.bougerv.com/collections/sol ... 784f&_ss=r
TNsniper74
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:07 pm

This is a 185W High voltage panel intended for grid tie. The advantage is that it generates usable current when shaded. Having it up off the roof means it is cooler and inside is also cooler. The ABS mounts are attached using 3M VHB tape and has withstood 120MPH winds (speed plus head wind) for 12+ years.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby WilsoninCA77 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:46 pm

tony.latham wrote:The problem with flexible panels is that most are cheap junk made from PET plastic. My Renogy is doing fine after four years and has the same guarantee as their glass panels. It--and a few others--are made from ETFE.

Tony

That looks good, how often do you use these panels? I live in the area that's not always so much sunlight in autumn and winter. :thinking:
WilsoninCA77
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WilsoninCA77 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:48 pm

TNsniper74 wrote:Personally, I’m using a BougeRV 100w flexible solar panel attached on the rooftop of my RV. Bought it about 3-4 months before.

At first what attracted me is that it can connect to my RV without any holes drilling, and it fits with my RV just like it was born for there.

Though I can’t speak for the lifespan of their product now, I can tell you that it’s more durable than I thought, maybe that’s because they didn’t use glass to make this panel.. I can even step on it while not breaking it.

Another thing that I love about these panels is that the quality of the craftsmanship with the frame, I built up my solar system and I think if you are a newb into solar, you can’t get wrong with these too. :wine:

https://www.bougerv.com/collections/sol ... 784f&_ss=r

Love the idea of no-holes-drilling! How's your after-sales services with BougeRV? I'm pretty much newb and definitely want something that's easy-to-handle-with.
WilsoninCA77
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:31 pm

That looks good, how often do you use these panels? I live in the area that's not always so much sunlight in autumn and winter. :thinking:

We start camping in mid-April and hang it up in late October. So when we're out, the panels are cooking away.

And while Flame is under her overhang, enough sun sneaks onto the panel on the tongue box to keep the battery topped off.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:57 am

I'm a big fan of remote solar. I can park in the shade and move the panel during the day to maximize output. I have a 50w panel that is more then enough for 3 fans, lights and charging devices. I usually come home with a full battery.Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets