First camper wiring project

Anything electric, AC or DC

First camper wiring project

Postby Necoigne » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:26 pm

So I've lurked here for quite a while toying with the idea of building my own teardrop, and finally pulled the trigger on a pre-built one (tiny camper company 6x8 rugged rhino). I'm trying to add my own 12v system incorporating shore power and an inverter,and I was hoping some people with more experience might be able to spot any rookie mistakes and make sure I'm not going to burn down my brand new camper.

https://imgur.com/a/ueeOGnj

It's a 1000w renology inverter/charger, battery and inverter connected with 4 awg, kill switch, battery monitor, 300amp fuse and a 12v fuse box for a couple fans and lights that will be wired with 12 awg marine wire. Not planning on putting any really heavy loads on the system, just occasionally charging some laptops, a little projector and various small electronics, no microwaves or blenders or anything. Does this seem like a relatively safe set up? As in not going to ruin all this stuff I just spent a bunch of money on or burn me alive in my camper?
Thanks for any feedback you guys can give me!
Last edited by Necoigne on Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Necoigne
Teardrop Inspector

Re: First camper wiring project

Postby twisted lines » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:07 am

300 Amp fuse sticks out a bit.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:12 am

Ummm.....300 amp fuse? Your primary seems a bit overkill for the expected load(s).
Twelve gauge wire is rated at 25 amps.....you'll have the wire insulation melting, and the conductor burned through before the fuse blows, unless it's a dead short to ground. I would recommend 30 amp fuse for a main, and lower rated branch circuit fuses, if there's going to be any distance in wire runs.
1000 watts at 12 vdc is 83 amps.......1000 watts at 120vac is 8.3 amps. I'm not seeing why you need a 1000 watt inverter/charger, or the additional inverter mentioned in your query. Or might you mean a 1000watt convertor/charger, and an inverter?

Just trying to get it straight in my brain.....Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:02 am

As others have said, 300 amps? My house is a 200 amp service.

16 AWG multi-stranded copper wire is fine for what you're doing past your fuse box. My mainline from the battery to the fuse box is 12 AWG and I run about the same stuff as you do... and that's probably gross overkill since I'll never use anywhere near 20 amps. Inverter? Mine's tucked away in the tongue box and I can't remember the last time I used it...

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Necoigne » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:47 am

Ha, yeah i was kind of piecing together a parts list from different set ups, and i think i may have written that one down wrong for my ordering list.

@gts225 no additional inverter, I just meant that the inverter/charger as well as the battery were wired with 4awg. From what i understand the inverter/charger should take the place of a converter charger, an inverter, and a relay, because it automatically switches to battery power when there's no ac input detected.

So other than replacing that fuse with a thirty amp fuse, does it seem ok? if a little bit of an overkill?

Thank you everyone for your responses so far.
Necoigne
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GTS225 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:46 pm

Yeah....I think you'll do ok with a thirty. Now, do examine what style fuse you're going to put in there. Having something that you can only find at an automotive stereo shop won't help you in a town of 1673 people. Use a standard ATO auto fuse and holder, and you'll be able to find fuses at almost any convenience store.

Just sayin'.....Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Necoigne » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:41 pm

Ah, excellent idea, Thanks!
Necoigne
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets