Trailer Brake Issue

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Trailer Brake Issue

Postby Onajourney » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:38 pm

"shows 0.6, sometimes 0.5....." If you are touching the lead tips, the meter will read resistance through you .
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:36 pm

Recalling EE Lab procedures from decades ago :? :
If you are reading 0.5ohms between your probes in that picture, you need to check for corrosion in their connections.

Remove them from the meter and check that the tips are threaded tight. Ensure the jacks are clean and bright. Insert one probe and test ohms to the other connection. Then try with the other. This will ID which had a bad connection vs the meter off 0.

Once you have established your real "0", testing the coil leads when disconnected should reveal 2-3 ohms resistance. Actual 0 means something is shorted. Open would be infinite resistance.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:59 am

Just a closure and follow up: I took the trailer to the shop yesterday to get another set of eyes on the issue. The diagnosis was the brake magnets were not held in place properly (misaligned) and causing the issue. There are these clips that hold the magnets in place on the shaft they retract in and out on and evidently these clips were not installed on my brakes from the factory. All is good now.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:01 pm

Glad you figured out the brake problem. I do not know about you, but it was really buggin me! LOL
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets