Battery answers make my head spin...

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery answers make my head spin...

Postby Toplessartist » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:19 pm

I have never had a conversation about batteries with anyone who "claims" to know all about them and not come away with LESS knowledge and understanding than before I asked my questions. It always ends up where I am suddenly Penny talking to Sheldon about quantum physics (which I do understand, oddly). All I want to know is, without all the scientific electrical laws and zap-code wizardry, which battery would suit my needs, either a deep cycle or a 12 v? I have always used a deep cycle for my builds, simply for the fact that I stated above... I cannot get a simple clear answer. Anyone who sells batteries wants to upsell, so I don't trust them. Anyone who sells car parts and batteries wants to sell what has been sitting on the shelf forever. A deep cycle always had plenty of power for what I need, which is powering an inverter (1500) to run LED lights, a pencil sharpener, and a radio. Not using power tools or a heater or huffing the engines on a B-17 bomber. I may or may not add solar but since my trips are usually a day or three at most so I don't need apocalyptic boon docking endless power, usually just a day any the lake kayaking or day hiking trips, and hanging out at the park for events. In my school bus conversion I had a deep cycle, also in my horse trailer conversion, but never ran the battery dry of power.

So I ask, is a deep cycle overkill (I believe it is), as well as not being as efficient as say a 12v or 2 6v? I don't need cca's, just smooth easy power from my inverter. I have no problem hooking my charger in between trips.

I know the simple answer is "if it works don't fix it"... I agree, but if I don't need a steam shovel to dig holes to plant petunias I would like to avoid it this time.

Thanks!
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Battery answers make my head spin...

Postby lfhoward » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:26 pm

If by 12 V you mean a car starter battery, that is not a good idea. They can give you a lot of power in a short period of time but don't last very long. A 12 V deep cycle battery is probably what you want. Two 6 V deep cycles run in series would essentially be the same thing as a 12 V deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries are what are used in marine applications, RV house batteries, and golf carts.

I hope this answers your question without being too complex.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:32 pm

I have simple needs. I'm not trying to heat and cool with a battery. I have found that a 100 ah agm. (50ah usable) is plenty to run my fans and charge my devices. I can easily top off with 50 watts of solar in the day light. I have no inverter and the charge controller is integrated into my solar panel. It does not need to be complicated to work. I have been using this setup for 5 years with no issues. Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby TCJ » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:16 pm

Toplessartist wrote:I have never had a conversation about batteries with anyone who "claims" to know all about them and not come away with LESS knowledge and understanding than before I asked my questions. It always ends up where I am suddenly Penny talking to Sheldon about quantum physics (which I do understand, oddly). All I want to know is, without all the scientific electrical laws and zap-code wizardry, which battery would suit my needs, either a deep cycle or a 12 v? I have always used a deep cycle for my builds, simply for the fact that I stated above... I cannot get a simple clear answer. Anyone who sells batteries wants to upsell, so I don't trust them. Anyone who sells car parts and batteries wants to sell what has been sitting on the shelf forever. A deep cycle always had plenty of power for what I need, which is powering an inverter (1500) to run LED lights, a pencil sharpener, and a radio. Not using power tools or a heater or huffing the engines on a B-17 bomber. I may or may not add solar but since my trips are usually a day or three at most so I don't need apocalyptic boon docking endless power, usually just a day any the lake kayaking or day hiking trips, and hanging out at the park for events. In my school bus conversion I had a deep cycle, also in my horse trailer conversion, but never ran the battery dry of power.

So I ask, is a deep cycle overkill (I believe it is), as well as not being as efficient as say a 12v or 2 6v? I don't need cca's, just smooth easy power from my inverter. I have no problem hooking my charger in between trips.

I know the simple answer is "if it works don't fix it"... I agree, but if I don't need a steam shovel to dig holes to plant petunias I would like to avoid it this time.

Thanks!

I'm assuming by "12V" you mean a regular car battery, because all of the battery options for a teardrop are 12V.

If you're using an inverter, I'd definitely get a deep-cycle 12V battery because it's designed for frequent deep discharges (which an inverter will do) and will last longer. Sounds like you should follow your own experience, which is that deep-cycle batteries work well.
TCJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby Toplessartist » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:49 pm

Ok, that helps (all of the above) so thanks. I didn't know that the tear drops used regular car-type batteries, and I don't think I use any more power than anyone in a tear drop, so I guess I could easily go with a car battery instead of a deep cycle. So, that said, what size are most of you using? I have purchased many a battery for my trucks and cars and motorcycles but they were specific. I assume this application leaves the field wide open.

But experience does tell me to go deep cycle. Thanks for the feedback.
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:37 pm

I didn't know that the tear drops used regular car-type batteries...

Teardrops don't. Car starter batteries are made for a huge power dump to start an engine, not a sustained draw.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Toplessartist » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:14 pm

So if I want a sustained draw in small amounts a 12 v battery as used in a tear drop would suffice... and it would work with my inverter so I can sharpen my pencils, plug in my LED Christmas lights, and make my wife a cup of coffee if she joins me?
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:20 pm

Toplessartist wrote:So if I want a sustained draw in small amounts a 12 v battery as used in a tear drop would suffice... and it would work with my inverter so I can sharpen my pencils, plug in my LED Christmas lights, and make my wife a cup of coffee if she joins me?

Both starter batteries and deep cycle batteries are (usually) 12 volts. They cost about the same. For your teardrop, you want a deep cycle battery.

And, no, you can't make a cup of coffee from your battery/inverter. Heating water takes a lot of power. Best to do it with propane, white gas, or over a fire. You can use an electric coffee maker when, and only when, you are connected to shore power. (LED Christmas lights and pencil sharpener are probably okay.)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets