Pex as conduit?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Pex as conduit?

Postby alabubba » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:48 pm

Flexible, non-conductive, tough, inexpensive, waterproof, lightweight, no problem finding clamps...all good things. Any negatives? I'm thinking white pex for conduit, and blue for potable water. Anybody using it for conduit?
If a camel is a horse designed by a committee, then a consensus forecast is a camel's behind.
alabubba
Teardrop Inspector

Postby starleen2 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:02 pm

The only problem I could see is a secure connection to an electrical box - maybe there is a fitting out there somewhere
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

PEX

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:42 am

Had to look up pex on the net as I had never heard of it. I don't think it's code yet here in Ca. (if so it's only recently been approved as I've never seen it in any of the many plumbing, etc stores I frequent).

You are thinking outside the box. I like it. Maybe "overkill" but I like "overkill" too.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:47 am

There is a plastic flex conduit available at most electrical supplies or home improvement stores... It's blue in color and comes in various sizes... Also there IS appropriates connectors for this plastic flex conduit to connect it to standard outlet boxes....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Goodness we are building rockets again. I am sure if you look at the web site there are connectors that will work for the electrical. Bet some tape would work. Anything that will fit in the hole the size of a Romex connector will work. You might even be able to cement a romex connector to the PEX. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby alabubba » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:42 pm

starleen2 wrote:The only problem I could see is a secure connection to an electrical box - maybe there is a fitting out there somewhere

Great input. I'll do some investigation. However, I wasn't aware there was plastic flex conduit, so that may be the better solution, except that I have some pex left over from a recent plumbing adventure! Thanks!
If a camel is a horse designed by a committee, then a consensus forecast is a camel's behind.
alabubba
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:47 pm

Alabubba: "except that I have some pex left over from a recent plumbing adventure!"

A good engineer uses the materials that are easily available! I HATE to see things go to waste.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby alabubba » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:49 pm

I am liking this place more and more! :)
alabubba
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AFoxworthy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:34 pm

The electrical flexible tubing is just called NM (Non Metallic) Flex and can be purchased at any electrical supply store. Unless you're putting in large framing members it's probably not the best choice. The outside diameter is about 7/8", and the fittings are larger in diameter, even though they do neck down to fit in a 1/2" knockout in a metal box. Plus, don't plan on pulling wire easily if you use 90 degree connectors. And you'll have to use THHN instead of Romex.

Pretty much your drawbacks are size, cost (it's fairly expensive when compared to other methods), and ease of installation.

I know everyone is big on running things in some form of a chase, but as long as you make your connections and splices in a box, and protect the wire where it passes thru framing members (nail plates, so you don't put a screw thru the wire), you can use romex. You souldn't have problems with having to replace wire. How often do you replace wire in your house?
AFoxworthy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:18 pm

eamarquardt wrote:A good engineer uses the materials that are easily available! I HATE to see things go to waste.

But is it good engineering to use the wrong part for the job, requiring more effort and producing an inferior result to using the readily available right parts?

I hate waste, too, but the PEX isn't wasted just because it doesn't go into this electrical job: why not save it for the next plumbing job... or is the idea to use some leftover electrical conduit for that?
:thinking:

PEX is common cross-linked polyethylene pipe for plumbing; I thought it had been in use for a long time in residential plumbing.

PVC (relatively rigid plastic) electrical conduit is a common (e.g. Home Depot) item here (made by Scepter and others), in nominal sizes from 1/2" to 6". It's also cheap, and there's a full range of fittings for it. Maybe the PVC conduit fitting would fix the PEX, but if not, why not just use the right stuff?
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:21 am

We plow this ground regularly. {Romex or stranded }, {conduit , no conduit } { dedicated circuits , just throw an extention cord inside.}
{Single strand wire of an old extention cord } How to color code for later reference ?

I had a industrial maintenance background in 220 440 660 and low voltage switching of those high voltage controls in a chemical explosion proof enviroment so prep and planning were imperative or BOOM !

solid strand wire doesn't like vibration the flex will break it over time.
Bend the romex 50 times in the same spot and what happens to the soft copper now try it with stranded, If you are certain you will never add or alter your electrical system and know there is no chance you will run a errant screw or nail thru the wiring just run the wire in amongst the insulation and through small holes drilled through the wood framing. ( I did , the single dumbest mistake I made in my build.) If you just wanta get done and camp just throw an extention cord inside if you are enjoying the build , plan a system. My AC side works fine using 12 gage 3 wire extention cord but stranded is easier to pull through conduit. The down side is you need 3 colors . Black White and Green are the obvious choices. Don't even think of using only one you sanity will be at stake as well as some shocking moments. Pex and flex conduit is droopy requiring a great deal more support be it zip ties clamps or straps. EMT is not water tight as it is used INSIDE a building. The best and cheapest protection for wiring under the trailer for me has been ridgid pvc plumbing pipe. once routed and glued its water tight. The wiring is now protected from Mud , road spray , ice and snow , road salt and even and errant bush that may try and snag loose wires. The 3/8 or 1/2 pvc can be used with the 1/2 depth carlon ( Blue plastic) electrical boxes in the wall as well. These little boxes are only 1" deep. The dc side on mine will be the standard light colors for the towing lights . The auxilary 12 volt interior plugs and lights will be blue and white with a blue stripe for the ground. I have earned the right to preach a bit . I put my electrical in in late August . It had ac and dc combination light fixtures and ac and dc plugins on all 4 walls. And I get to go back and do it again because I didn't spend the time and money to get the proper wire and used what I had. Now with splices here and there, there are multiple problems on the DC side, SO I GET TO DO IT AGAIN THIS SPRING ! No conduit to pull through and wires thru tiny holes in the 1x4 wall supports , I will have a ton of fun . I am already saving up cuss words for later use. If you are going to seal it in a wall think WHAT IF .....!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: Pex as conduit?

Postby VanIsledave » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:33 pm

Thank you, Bob! We're gathering the electrical components for our build and I've been trying to figure out the best way to run the wires and what colour scheme to use for hot and ground. Your post answered a bunch of questions for me, much appreciated!!!

I've done soooo many projects that had to be "done" over and over and over again! Your post made me laugh, I've so been there!

And I'm going to use the "...saving up cuss words for later use..." idea. That's just so darn efficient!

Dave
VanIsledave
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pex as conduit?

Postby twisted lines » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:20 pm

I used the big drip irrigation line in and out; fit in the opening of the tongue style wiring box :thumbsup:
Same as you I had it, worked good but tight.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets