AC Hacking a Figidaire 5000 BTU

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: AC Hacking a Figidaire 5000 BTU

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:The AC units I used were the least expensive with the dial control and that was easy to pull out of the AC. There are only four control wires. In looking at the digital control units one I see has two PC boards and a much more complex wiring. Can it be done yes but it is above my desire to mess with one.

If you go for the fancy electronic one, I recommend getting one with a remote. Then you don't have to deal with the wiring.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:47 pm

The advantage of having it wired is that the sensor is on the inside of the tear.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:39 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:The advantage of having it wired is that the sensor is on the inside of the tear.
Some of the remotes have a sensor too. FWIW, mine is the old school dial version, I set the knob at about 5, and it works fine all weekend. The dial is still on the AC unit outside in the plenum.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby rkolibar » Mon May 10, 2021 3:47 pm

I just finished a similar build, but I have a 3-inch box on the front and feed the hot air return in from the top this will eliminate the icing because the moisture-filled air will not be concentrated on one spot of the radiator. The air will need to turn and the moisture will drop to the bottom. I also changed the on-off switch to the main power so we could run both high and low.
ImageImageImageImageImage
rkolibar
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu May 13, 2021 3:51 am

My understanding it is more a matter of airflow through the coils to keep moisture from freezing on the coil. I get a good bit of drainage of the condensate. I did however add a drain as many/most of these use the fan to sling the condensate on the exterior coils to further cooling, I felt the noise annoying.
Let us know your experience.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri May 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Personally I think having the air make a 90 degree turn on the way to the evap coil can significantly reduce icing. It makes the air spread across the face of the evaporator, reducing the risk that one spot will ice up, and the turn will cause the heavier water to keep going straight, while the air turns, so the centrifugal force will reduce the water getting to the coils.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri May 14, 2021 7:48 pm

Time will tell, let us know what happens.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sat May 15, 2021 6:27 am

Mines never iced up, in the dozen or do times I’ve used it, but I’m usually using it in low humidity conditions. Rick is within 100 miles of me, so I expect he will be fine too.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:31 pm

Loving this long-lived thread! I've finally decided I need an AC for my 6X12, and I'm ready to go with a 2000-ish watt generator and Shadow Catcher's "portable" window shaker system. It looks to be the best of all options for me, as I only need AC for 2-4 weeks a year, at most. Love the idea of being able to put it back in storage for 11 months!

I'm going to start with only one cold air supply duct. "Wet, cold air" has a nice ring to it in the arid mountain west. I'll take any humidity I can get! One hole, and hopefully simpler. I hope to just put the AC unit on a table or chair next to the trailer. If it rains, I'll cover it because I don't need it. The rain (which we seldom get) will cool by itself. My first question is has anyone seen or tried to duct/funnel only the cold air outlet part of the AC unit through the hose in any fairly simple way? How might I do this? My thinking is to simply get the supply air moving, and leave the rest open like it was in a window. Feasible? Less or no icing issue?

Second question is has anyone found any adjustable vents for the inside of the incoming duct through the deck plate? Something like the adjustable vents in a car so the air flow inside the trailer could be directed? Again, great thread that has stood the test of time, and after looking at every conceivable AC option out there, this should work for me better than a mini-split, traditional portable, or any other options I've found. Thanks everyone!
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:58 pm

Gonefishin wrote:Loving this long-lived thread! I've finally decided I need an AC for my 6X12, and I'm ready to go with a 2000-ish watt generator and Shadow Catcher's "portable" window shaker system. It looks to be the best of all options for me, as I only need AC for 2-4 weeks a year, at most. Love the idea of being able to put it back in storage for 11 months!

I'm going to start with only one cold air supply duct. "Wet, cold air" has a nice ring to it in the arid mountain west. I'll take any humidity I can get! One hole, and hopefully simpler. I hope to just put the AC unit on a table or chair next to the trailer. If it rains, I'll cover it because I don't need it. The rain (which we seldom get) will cool by itself. My first question is has anyone seen or tried to duct/funnel only the cold air outlet part of the AC unit through the hose in any fairly simple way? How might I do this? My thinking is to simply get the supply air moving, and leave the rest open like it was in a window. Feasible? Less or no icing issue?

Second question is has anyone found any adjustable vents for the inside of the incoming duct through the deck plate? Something like the adjustable vents in a car so the air flow inside the trailer could be directed? Again, great thread that has stood the test of time, and after looking at every conceivable AC option out there, this should work for me better than a mini-split, traditional portable, or any other options I've found. Thanks everyone!

How hot will it be where you are camping? Cooling my generic benroy 30F takes about 2500BTU. If you are pulling in hot air, its not going to be nearly as effective. Its also more prone to icing if you don't recirculate the air. If there is humidity in the air, then the A/C unit will dry it out, and as it recirulates the air gets drier, and its less work on the A/c unit. If you have low humidity, it probably won't ice anyhow. I camp in the So-Cal deserts, and when it gets dry I run a USB humidifier designed for a car. Just a little helps a lot.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:43 pm

I found an AC calculator https://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html which let me know with the insulation I have 1.5 Inch EPS and six surfaces I needed 5000 BTU It is however based on having a return as Social Tom pointed out. As I indicated you can try it and see what happens, at worst it will not do the job you want and you can add the return.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:37 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:I found an AC calculator https://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html which let me know with the insulation I have 1.5 Inch EPS and six surfaces I needed 5000 BTU....

I had used other calculators prior to using this one, and arrived at the same conclusion...that an uninsulated plywood 4x8, as small as it is, with 77.5 cubic feet of space to cool (75 inches inside length x 46.5 inches wide x 48 inches tall x .80 reduction factor for volume of air lost by cutting a 45 degree angle off the roof), needs a lot of cooling since it is primarily used from late April-October, in Texas weather.

It has been proven very effective over many years. Mine's a LG LW5012j, 5k unit, not hacked, but permanently installed in the rear bulkhead. Less than 25% of the trips I've been on didn't require A/C, so a permanent mounting was proven to be the best way to use mine.

my uninsulated 4x8 needs a 5k btu unit, as I figured.JPG
my uninsulated 4x8 needs a 5k btu unit, as I figured.JPG (32.66 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:48 am

I've got a little insulation in the walls and ceiling, and heavy foam board under the floor. My "hot" temperatures are 85-100, and only for a few weeks at most. I just want come cool air blowing around inside while I take my afternoon nap, tie some flies, or make some lunch. I never need it once the sun goes down. From reading posts, I was under the impression that there was less icing without a return duct, so I mis-read that one. Humidity isn't much of a factor in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana where I camp. Very dry for the most part. If it gets any humidity at all, then it rains and cools things off pretty quickly. If I can figure out a simple way to start, I might give it a try, and then I can always add the return if I think I need it, as Shadow said. I don't want to give up the space for a permanent install, especially for the short window of need. Even some of the small single and dual hose portables take more space than I'd like to give. Hacking a window unit seems like the best solution if I can get it hacked to start with. Thanks for the feedback.

Brings up a question on the return. I see them all close to the supply. Would it not be more efficient to have the supply high and the return low, or the supply on one wall, and the return on another? To promote air flow in the room rather than just a quick in and out in one small area? Maybe I'm overthinking it, or don't have a clue. :lol: Living in the arctic hasn't taught me much about A/C over the years. With heat, I want my supply coming in low so it rises and helps lower areas stay warmer. I ran the BTU calculator, and I'm right in the ballpark, needing between 4500 and 5600 btu depending on the interpretation of "climate" and "insulation." Average for both was right around 5,200.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:25 pm

Return, LG when they were using a Climate Rite have two ports on the front, I think both are 3" using waste hoses and fittings. I was kind of stuck as to where I could put the goes out of and goes into and the interior goes into has a 45 degree louvers which direct the cool. I run the celling fans with the vent closed which helps keep the heat from stratifying.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:39 pm

Gonefishin wrote:Loving this long-lived thread! I've finally decided I need an AC for my 6X12, and I'm ready to go with a 2000-ish watt generator and Shadow Catcher's "portable" window shaker system. It looks to be the best of all options for me, as I only need AC for 2-4 weeks a year, at most. Love the idea of being able to put it back in storage for 11 months!

I built our Climateright into the front of the teardrop with two ports and two hoses.

162206 158952

Tested it that way, with the cabin sealed, and after awhile it froze. We now run it with the input port open and a single hose

(we leave the front access door open when running the air conditioner) and the cabin fan vent open, and this Summer have not had a problem in Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri or New York. Wonderful cool, drier air, and, as a bonus, it turns out the return hose made a lot of noise that is eliminated now. :thumbsup:

Here are our vents--adjustable in opening and direction. I'm not near our records so I can't say where I found them; possibly on Amazon.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets