12 Volt Portable Boombox - A crowd pleaser for sure.

Anything electric, AC or DC

12 Volt Portable Boombox - A crowd pleaser for sure.

Postby ohbugger » Fri May 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Everyone who has seen and heard this is totally impressed. Not wanting to brag about it, but this project turned out so well, I use it all the time, out the in the yard on a sunny day. BBQing at the beach, etc. Definitely the most useful and functional thing I have ever built, and it's perfect for camping. Many of us build a sound system into our trailers, and this is very comparable to that in output and sound quality, but portable.

So, here's the parts list:

- TA2024 Amplifier:
This is a highly efficient amplifier that will make the most out of your battery, and it's incredibly cheap as well. There are hundreds of different brands and casings that all contain the exact same "Tripath TA2024" chip. I go for the cheap bare motherboard. It is 15 watts x 2 at 4 ohms. That might not sound like much, but with the right speakers this will rival or even outperform the stereo in your car.
I like the Sure Electronics version
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=320-308
But you can find very similar units on ebay for $9.00 shipped, like the MKII Tripath TA2024
They will all sound and perform nearly identically as they all share that same crucial chip which does all the work. The efficiency of this chip is crucial, you will notice there is no heatsink, this amplifier creates almost no heat which is the key to a powerful battery powered boombox. If you use an amp that creates waste heat, all your battery power is wasted in that heat.

- 12 Volt Rechargeable battery:
Now we want a small, lightweight battery, luckily batteries are evolving pretty fast these days. Thanks to all the manufacturing in China and eBay you can get really great technology cheaply. If you search ebay for "12v battery 6800mAH" You will find a ton of these batteries that are about the size of a pack of cards and not much heavier. They have kept the boombox going for a whole weekend for me depending on usage and volume levels.
For around $20 you get a lightweight and compact 12 volt battery that is nearly 7 amp hours, and includes a 120v charger.

- The Speakers:
I used the Lanzar VX830 8" 3-way speakers. But any 4 ohm speakers will work.
http://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-VX830-8-In ... B0007L8BBM
The only downside to these speakers is their weight, at 11 pounds for the pair, the boombox is heavy, everything else combined is probably 2 or 3 pounds total.
I built a boombox before this one with 5" speakers that were 8 ohms, it was very disappointing. The 8" Lanzar speakers are 4 ohms and 90 decibels per watt, in other words they output 90 decibels of sound at 1 watt of power. The 5" speakers were closer to 80 db/watt, since decibels are logarithmic, that's approximately half the volume at 1 watt. Further they were 8 ohms, which caused the wattage output by the amplifier to drop by about half. All that to say that the speakers you choose really matter. The boombox with the 5" speakers was 1/4 as loud as the 8" speakers.
Generally speaking, larger speakers are more efficient, 6x9 speakers would work well, but are a funny shape. 6.5" speakers would work as well, but I wouldn't go any smaller than that and look for that db/watt measurement. That really is the key!
I did a lot of shopping and the Lanzar VX830 had all the right features at a great price.
These 6x9s look lightweight, have a good protective grill 92db/w, pretty much perfect, just that odd shape
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=269-185
Finally, one last idea which takes out a lot of the woodworking fun, but is very practical and inexpensive is to get this prebuilt enclosure with the drivers already in it.
Acoustic Audio AA-8XT
http://www.thedeepdiscount.com/p-6938-a ... eaker.aspx
Also on eBay, you get the enclosure and drivers for under $60 shipped.

In addition to those 3 primary components, you will need a couple feet of speaker wire, a headphone jack, a power switch and of course some wood, glue, and a handle. The power switch is a rocker switch with a built-in LED so you can tell when it is on.

Build your box however you like, use your imagination. BUT, build it sturdy and stout. I used cabinet grade 1/2" plywood for the front and back, the top and sides are a 1x5 (3/4"x4.5") that I routed 1/2" grooves in the front and back to lock the plywood faces in assembled with clamps and wood glue. After it was dry I using construction adhesive along all the inside seams to seal it up tight and add more strength. Finally there is a block of wood in the middle between the front and back face. This thing can get pretty loud, and I really wanted to lock everything down and stop any buzzing. It's overbuilt, but it sounds great!

Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll fill in anything I missed.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Re: 12 Volt Portable Boombox - A crowd pleaser for sure.

Postby manintheburg » Fri May 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Darrin
manintheburg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Fri May 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Wow, that's a cool project. Did you tune the box to the speakers? Can you plug an ipod into it?

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri May 04, 2012 5:23 pm

I would recommend some pioneer 6 x 9s which are the best low power efficient speakers on the market. An 8" is hard for 15 watts to drive.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby ohbugger » Fri May 04, 2012 6:14 pm

bdosborn wrote:Wow, that's a cool project. Did you tune the box to the speakers? Can you plug an ipod into it?
Bruce

Yup, that's the idea. Once you turn on the power, the amp is at max volume, so you plug your ipod/iphone/whatever into it using your headphone jack and use the volume control on your mp3 player to adjust the gain. There's no buzz or hum like you might hear when you turn a stereo up real loud with no input, this is a digital amp, it's VERY clean.
I didn't "tune" the enclosure, I am sure I could get a little more efficiency, better low end and a flatter frequency response in a larger box, but the first priority is portability.
With that said, everyone who hears this is totally blown away by it. I will put it head to head against any battery powered ipod speaker from Bose, Altec Lansing or whatever. It sounds great and goes really loud which sometimes you want to fill the great outdoors with music over the wind and waves or loud drunk people. Ha ha.

linuxmanxxx wrote:I would recommend some pioneer 6 x 9s which are the best low power efficient speakers on the market. An 8" is hard for 15 watts to drive.

The best low power efficient speakers are PA speakers, but a couple 10s, 12s or 15s and some compression horns mean a really large box. There are smartypants audio guys out there that use amps like these with PA speakers for smaller outdoor festivals in really remote areas. The larger PA speakers get up to over 100db/w.

An 8" Coaxial or Triaxial speaker like I used is just a round 6x9. About the same surface area and probably uses the exact same voice coil and magnet assembly as the 6x9s from the same manufacturer. Just round and won't require such a long box to have 2 side by side.
Compare:
The 8" http://www.lanzar.com/sku/vx830 with the 6x9 http://www.lanzar.com/sku/VX693/VX-6x-9-Three-Way-Speakers
Image Image
Exact same motor assembly, crossover, and tweeters, one is oval, one is round.
I will agree with you that an 8" subwoofer however won't do much with 15 watts, these aren't subwoofers though, just extra large coaxial speakers.

With that said, 6x9s are much more plentiful, many more options, just kind of an odd shape that was created by the car manufacturers to fit a larger speaker under the rear window of a car. You will definitely have better luck finding some good 6x9s at a local store. Check the efficiency though! Pioneer has made good 6x9s for at least 30 years, but don't limit yourself to the brands at walmart or bestbuy.

----------------------------------------------

It may seem like a strange combination, but this amp fed from a battery is highly respected by the audiogeeks who hook it up to multi-thousand dollar speakers and compare it's sound that that of multi-thousand dollar amplifiers. (weird I know)
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/1006sonic
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri May 04, 2012 6:25 pm

If I can hear some one else's music it is too loud :x
I guarantee it is not my taste and what is wrong with silence and listening to nature, the natural music?
In reality one of the big reasons we have a tear is to escape other folks noise, screaming dogs and barking kids and other folks music.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Fri May 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Maybe he camps at the beach with other music lovers...?

Sounds like a cool project, I'll bet one of my kids would like it! :dancing

We all have different interests we like to share, but 99.9 percent of us don't share them in an obnoxious manner at the campground.
Here on the board though, it is okay to turn up the volume and brag a bit. :R

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Zollinger » Fri May 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:screaming dogs and barking kids.

:thinking: Hey! You stole that line from me. DH was proud of himself when he came up with it. At one time I used that for my sig line. It's really true we ALWAYS get stuck next to screaming dogs and barking kids. Use the quote in good health. :shake hands:
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ohbugger » Fri May 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:If I can hear some one else's music it is too loud :x

Haha, I agree totally. There is a time and a place for loud music and I would never disrespect someone else's serenity!
The great thing is that a powerful speaker at low volume sounds full and rich. Just because you have a big truck doesn't mean you have to drive like a maniac, but there are times when you need a truck with a big V8!
Now get off my lawn! And cut your hair!
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat May 05, 2012 7:13 am

Dawn, As I have often said plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery :D and I felt it describes the cacophony you encounter in all too many camp grounds. I remember a discussion on this forum of how do you hint to some one that their portable noise is too much and one reply was to play bag pipe music. Compass Rose has a stereo and Sirius satellite receiver but the speakers are inside and with the galley hatch closed you can't hear the radio.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat May 05, 2012 10:52 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:If I can hear some one else's music it is too loud :x
I guarantee it is not my taste and what is wrong with silence and listening to nature, the natural music?
In reality one of the big reasons we have a tear is to escape other folks noise, screaming dogs and barking kids and other folks music.

I think your expectations are little unreal if you expect silence at a *public* campground. I'm not saying that its acceptable to be obnoxiously loud but expecting everyone to tip-toe around your campsite is equally obnoxious.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Sun May 06, 2012 6:59 pm

One of the many reasons I boondock is to get away from the noise.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Sun May 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Mukilteo wrote:One of the many reasons I boondock is to get away from the noise.

Agreed ... as an added benefit however, if I do find the urge to turn it up to 11, no one's around to care.

I built a very similar setup quite a few years ago to put in the Willy's M-38. It had fairly decent sound, portable, didn't mess up the originality of the Jeep, and had light duty jumper cable clamps to provide power direct from the vehicle battery. BTW ... I used a 100 watt amp and 3-way 6x9's, it was ported and tuned with dividers to separate the speakers in the box.

...come to think of it, I don't think I ever did turn it all the way up.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Engineer Guy » Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Ohbugger ~

I used to build and run Pro Sound Systems. Nice Project, and great Documentation of it.

I'll probably recycle my current SUV Head Unit into my TTT, but it's nice to consider self-built options to keep my Hand in it. It has a Wireless Remote, and some Outdoor Speakers that plug in safely would do the trick for my Camping situations.

I pretty much always Boondock, so the Neighbor/Noise is a non-issue for me.

A flip side Scenario from last January was when I Boondocked on BLM Land outside Quartzsite AZ. It was fairly dead when I stopped because the huge RV Show had not started. A Mega RV Bus pulled up and HAD to set up Camp closer to me than any logical variable dictated. 4 Old People got out and started making all this unnecessary noise, like they grew up in a Barn or something. Pretty obnoxious. Is was too near Dusk for me to move. Fortunately, in predictable fashion, they 'enjoyed the Outdoors' inside after a bit; I could see the huge Flat Screen TV playing. Ridiculous!

It cuts both ways. Age doesn't equal being considerate [and I'm old].
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby ohbugger » Fri May 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Engineer Guy wrote:Ohbugger ~

I used to build and run Pro Sound Systems. Nice Project, and great Documentation of it.

I'll probably recycle my current SUV Head Unit into my TTT, but it's nice to consider self-built options to keep my Hand in it. It has a Wireless Remote, and some Outdoor Speakers that plug in safely would do the trick for my Camping situations.

I pretty much always Boondock, so the Neighbor/Noise is a non-issue for me.

A flip side Scenario from last January was when I Boondocked on BLM Land outside Quartzsite AZ. It was fairly dead when I stopped because the huge RV Show had not started. A Mega RV Bus pulled up and HAD to set up Camp closer to me than any logical variable dictated. 4 Old People got out and started making all this unnecessary noise, like they grew up in a Barn or something. Pretty obnoxious. Is was too near Dusk for me to move. Fortunately, in predictable fashion, they 'enjoyed the Outdoors' inside after a bit; I could see the huge Flat Screen TV playing. Ridiculous!

It cuts both ways. Age doesn't equal being considerate [and I'm old].

Thanks! I was just explaining to someone that it's ok to not have a volume knob, kinda like pro-audio where the power amps are just left at 100% and all the gain control is done at the mixer. (at least that's my understanding)

I was originally thinking about a head unit or something like that. I think one thing about this amplifier that could benefit a lot of people is its power efficiency. A lot of head units really crank out quite a bit of heat, and when you are boondocking that could be a bummer. If you want to keep charged up with solar cells, and play some tunes, this amp might help lower the power draw.
The other idea is to incorporate a stereo-bluetooth receiver, then just carry around your iphone or other smart phone as a remote and wirelessly send the music to the boombox. (I can't compete with a free head-unit you already have, it will work great! Not knocking it at all)
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets