Service wiring for TDs

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Norm » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:56 pm

Question..., should there not be a GFCI somewhere on the AC input side?
Other than this question, this schematic is a definate keeper. :thumbsup:

Norm
Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:17 am

Powder, I planned on using the arc fault receptacles/outlets, but do they make something like this that I should use for my switches too? (Only need two switches for the porch lights. Cabin lights are self-switched.)

Here's the box I'm going to order this week. I'm doing 120 only:

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/ ... escription

This is going to be instaled in the cabin, so it has to have a decorative look to it. The only thing I can't figure out is that it has a 30amp main, and 3 lines--but that's not how the descriptive reads.

I need 3 lines--one just for the air conditioning outlet, and 2 lines (left and right sides of TD ) to daisy-chain the cabin light, porch light, and galley outlets on eaxh side. (Galley will have left and right outlets.)
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby bdosborn » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:40 pm

powderburn wrote:
Norm wrote:Question..., should there not be a GFCI somewhere on the AC input side?
Other than this question, this schematic is a definate keeper. :thumbsup:

Norm

The answer would be NO....
GFCI breakers and plugs have troubles running certain items.In bathrooms (with GFCI outlets),We get a lot of call backs because they trip when flourescent lights turn on.Not all but some do.
It is possable that the 2005 code(it hasnt been voted in yet) will start to require GFCI outlets on pedestals.
I think GFCI outlets SHOULD be used anywher you can,But there are a lot of places that they wouldnt be required on a TD.
The Galley should have GFCI in every location and if the light is 110v (in the galley), it should be fed off a GFCI also. A good rule of thumb is that,if you can reach the plug and touch the ground at the same time,it should be GFCI.

Hope that helps.

Better check that RV section of the NEC. GFCI is required at the main circuit breaker in an RV. Yes, its problematic and prone to false trips but it is the only thing in the electrical system that provides personnel protection. All other devices provide overcurrent protection. Arc fault is designed to provide protection against fires, it doesn't provide personnel protection. I think GFCI is a good idea and I have it at all the receptacles in my trailer (which doesn't meet code since its not in the main breaker). :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:39 pm

powderburn wrote:This is all I found about GFCI protection...

(C) Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. The internal wiring of a recreational vehicle having only one 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit as permitted in 551.42(A) and (B) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel. The ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed at the point where the power supply assembly terminates within the recreational vehicle. Where a separable cord set is not employed, the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be permitted to be an integral part of the attachment plug of the power supply assembly. The ground-fault circuit interrupter shall provide protection also under the conditions of an open grounded circuit conductor, interchanged circuit conductors, or both.

That's it. The way I interpret it, you need GFCI where your 120V first terminates in the trailer. The only way to do it is to provide a GFCI breaker since you're required to have overcurrent protection and it wouldn't make sense to me to provide it ahead of a fuse or breaker. Now I didn't use a GFCI circuit breaker, I used GFCI receptacles, wiring from the line side of each one. I haven't had a problem with false trips when I've plugged into GFCI receptacles at the campground pedestal. Also, GFCI receptacles seem to go bad all the time so I don't want to depend on just the campground GFCI.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:48 pm

powderburn wrote:If you read the code closely....It says

The internal wiring of a recreational vehicle having "only one" 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit as permitted in 551.42(A) and (B) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

I dont see where GFCI protection is required for multiple branch circuits or 30 ampre circuits.

Im with you though.A main braker that is GFCI is a very good idea.

Now I didn't use a GFCI circuit breaker, I used GFCI receptacles, wiring from the line side of each one. I haven't had a problem with false trips when I've plugged into GFCI receptacles at the campground pedestal.

Also, GFCI receptacles seem to go bad all the time so I don't want to depend on just the campground GFCI.

There is a tester that can be plugged into a gfci protected recepticle that will test the GFCI to ensure its functionability.Maybe we could carry one of these in our TDs?.

Wiring from the "line" side of a GFCI will offer no protection so,in effect,it wouldnt cause false trips either,Wiring in this method would require you to instal a GFCI at every location.

The tester is a good idea. I carry one in my backpack so I can test outlets in the field, I should throw one in the TD. And yes, I have GFCI receptacles at every location. Its a more expensive that way but you don't loose all power if the first GFCI trips or goes bad.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets