Tow Vehicle to Trailer Connections

Anything electric, AC or DC

Tow Vehicle to Trailer Connections

Postby Capebuild » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:57 am

Hello. I'm getting on to planning for all connections from the tow vehicle to the trailer. I'm a novice when it comes to auto electrical stuff like this so my questions are very basic.

I'm envisioning there's 3 "interactions" between vehicle and trailer:
1) Vehicle battery to trailer battery for charging battery on trailer.
2) Vehicle lights to trailer lights (brake lights, marker lights, turn signals, stuff like that)
3) Brakes. I'm planning on a Dexter axle with electronic brakes with proportional brake controller and possibly a parking brake for trailer (I realize probably not an "electrical" issue but a connection between auto and trailer).

Are all these connections done as 3 separate wiring runs? How do the connections occur (from auto to trailer). I've got a lot of reading to take in on all this, but I'm hoping some responses from the members here can get me pointed in the right direction as a place to start.

Thanks very much for any insights.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Tow Vehicle to Trailer Connections

Postby Juneaudave » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:09 am

John....If I remember correctly, your tow vehicle will be a Subaru Outback...Is that correct? And does it already have wiring for a flat 4 plug?
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Capebuild » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:42 am

Hi Juneaudave, you have a good memory :-)
Yes, 2019 Subaru Outback and I do have a hitch installed with 4 pin wiring. I pull a boat trailer so that connector does illuminate the lights on the boat trailer.
So I'm assuming I can gather the wiring for the brake lights, turn signals, marker lights on the trailer, terminate those in a corresponding 4 pin connector and attach
to 4 pin connector coming off Subaru and that makes the connection for the lights on the trailer.

I'm assuming, again, there needs to be some other wiring connection to accomplish battery to battery charging, as well as the brake connection... ??

thanks.
John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:05 am

You will need the 7 pin round connector. Everything you described happens in that. I bet if you looked at e-trailer.com they have a kit to upgrade your TV.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 am

See if there is a factory harness available for a 7 pin connector. If not you probably want something like this

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/30717.html
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:33 am

Thanks a lot for those tips, Socia Tom and Sparksalot. I looked up that product from the link you posted. Watched a video shown on the Etrailer site. Very helpful. They have this product shown in the attached photo. This makes sense and seems like what I'm looking for. Kind of makes it easy, I think. This 4 way to 7 way pin connector seems to take into account the brakes, the lights and the battery to battery charger. Need to study it a bit more, but I think this is the solution.

Thanks again.

John
Attachments
4 way flat to 7 way.jpg
4 way flat to 7 way.jpg (163.88 KiB) Viewed 1326 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Curt and maybe other mfrs make a vehicle end that incorporates both the 7 way and 4 flat connector in one unit eliminating the need for an adapter to pull your boat trailer. Etrailer is very helpful if you talk to or chat online with them. They'll point you at exactly what you need.

Similar to this...
https://www.etrailer.com/p-C55774.html?hhyear=2019&hhmake=Subaru&hhmodel=Outback+Wagon

Good luck. Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:51 pm

Capebuild wrote:Thanks a lot for those tips, Socia Tom and Sparksalot. I looked up that product from the link you posted. Watched a video shown on the Etrailer site. Very helpful. They have this product shown in the attached photo. This makes sense and seems like what I'm looking for. Kind of makes it easy, I think. This 4 way to 7 way pin connector seems to take into account the brakes, the lights and the battery to battery charger. Need to study it a bit more, but I think this is the solution.

Thanks again.

John

Capebuild, the image you are showing is the trailer side

the 4-prong flat plug has 3 unshielded male prongs which if they were on the TV could short out when the different lights were activated

here are a couple images that may help some

12d67469d97e8788cf42e7c0e54434df.jpg
12d67469d97e8788cf42e7c0e54434df.jpg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 1278 times

trailer-wiring-color-code-diagram-l-f3629d12b232a3b1.png
trailer-wiring-color-code-diagram-l-f3629d12b232a3b1.png (124.61 KiB) Viewed 1278 times

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:46 pm

The charging of a deep cycling House battery in the trailer

from the alternator of the TV

is not so straightforward.

The amps current flow might be as high as 50-60A

requires a separate fat wiring pair and Anderson connectors

and likely a DCDC charger like Sterling BB series to counteract the voltage drop over distance.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:00 pm

what John61CT said +++++++
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Thank you all again for the follow up and suggestions. I really need to wrap my head around all of this as it's all pretty much unfamiliar territory for me. But with these illustrations you've posted I can do my research and get a bit more knowledgeable with what I'll need. I have been looking at a set up another person had posted on youtube which really spelled out everything pretty clearly. It had a lot of components but it all seems to makes sense. He had a Sterling battery to battery unit in the mix (photo attached). His set up took Solar, batt to batt charging and shore power into account. I'm just pretty unfamiliar with the connections needed between tow vehicle and trailer... so will study up. I'll post the youtube schematic I had seen which I've been studying.

Thank you all again, I appreciate it.

Actually, one other question, Swoody, the diagram you posted, shows a red marker light at the rear of the trailer and an amber in the front. Is there a reason one is red, the other amber?
I just found that diagram on line, as well, from Johnson Trailer Parts with a good article on wiring. Thanks

John
Attachments
moser elex setup_3.18.21.jpg
moser elex setup_3.18.21.jpg (330.6 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 5.35.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 5.35.01 PM.png (932.74 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Last edited by Capebuild on Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:50 pm

John61CT wrote:...The amps current flow might be as high as 50-60A ...

:shock:

Exactly how big of a fuse do you put in that circuit?

I think most of us who are charging from the TV alternator are looking for about 10 amps max, so 10 gauge wire, through the 7 pin connector, and 30 amp fuses are fine. If a 100 Ah battery is half discharged (as discharged as you'd want to be with lead-acid or AGM), that's about 5 hours of driving to recharge it.

See the 2nd post on this thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28620

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:48 pm

The Sterling DC to DC charger says 30 amps. So, that 200 ampH battery shown could easily accept 30 amps. Given the long distance between the alternator and the trailer battery, I would use a plenty big wire determined by one of the AWG calculators online. My preference is to use the Renogy calculator on their web page. Once the AWG is determined, size the breaker 125% more than what is called for. Remember, we are protecting the wire not the devices.

I ran 3AWG equivalent copper wire from my 2018 Silverado truck battery back to my trailer battery (total distance for me is about 35 feet). I hate voltage drop and did not want to damage my alternator.

Also, make sure the vehicle's alternator can handle the load. Most alternators can be expected to provide continuously about 1/2 the maximum rated output power -- possibly as much as 2/3 for a conventional "heavy duty" design. Otherwise, the diodes in the alternator can overheat and burn out ... at least on my 145 ampH alternator.

Others may have different opinions.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:06 pm

swoody126 wrote:
Capebuild wrote:Thanks a lot for those tips, Socia Tom and Sparksalot. I looked up that product from the link you posted. Watched a video shown on the Etrailer site. Very helpful. They have this product shown in the attached photo. This makes sense and seems like what I'm looking for. Kind of makes it easy, I think. This 4 way to 7 way pin connector seems to take into account the brakes, the lights and the battery to battery charger. Need to study it a bit more, but I think this is the solution.

Thanks again.

John

Capebuild, the image you are showing is the trailer side

the 4-prong flat plug has 3 unshielded male prongs which if they were on the TV could short out when the different lights were activated

here are a couple images that may help some

12d67469d97e8788cf42e7c0e54434df.jpg

trailer-wiring-color-code-diagram-l-f3629d12b232a3b1.png

BON CHANCE

sw
No, he has the right thing. It plugs into the TV and adapts the 4 way to a 7 way.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:16 pm

Why do you guys have to make everything so complicated?

The adapter you found is perfect for converting the TV 4 way to a 7 way with trailer brakes. Just run a 30 amp circuit breaker with a 12 guage wire. If it pulls 50 amps something is wrong. I’ve been running a factory jeep harness for years with less than 12 guage, its fine, and it was designed at the factory and its behind a 200 amp alternator, its fine.
Don’t worry about fancy dc/dc charging unless your have lithium batteries or are a millionaire, or have a desire to waste money.

KISS is good engineering practice, it means Keep It Simple Stupid. It gets forgotten on a lot of sites like this. If your a weekend warrior like me and you don’t want a gold plated trailer you use a few times a year, then take my advice.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets