truth about batteries youtube

Anything electric, AC or DC

truth about batteries youtube

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:23 pm

lead and Li them and operating under temps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3hga_P5YY

good statistics

lots of surprises!!
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: truth about batteries youtube

Postby TimC » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:10 pm

@ 35:35 says it all. Win a set of Battle Born batteries... Definitely would love to win those, but this plug at the end taints the independence of the review. Otherwise it appears an even handed review.

I'm happy with the performance of my 144 aHr, AGM battery bank. After six years they are going strong. And didn't cost me over $600 which what I would have invested in a 72 aHr Li battery bank six years back (AGM was less than 1/3 that). I would buy another AGM set if they puke in a couple years. While this video seems even handed Li marketing always seems to underestimate the lifetime and overestimate the cost of AGM.

If you've got the money up front while funding your build, go for Li. I was limited in my budget and had to fund smartly so that I could get on the road and do some traveling. Nobody asks what kind of battery I have in the trailer. They just ask if I charge batteries with my solar panels.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:57 pm

I watched most of it. I think they are assuming that every usable amp is used in a battery before recharging. Which isn't --or shouldn't-- be real-world. They are obviously trying to sell Battleborn products.

My AGM should last seven to ten years. I draw it down about 20% each night. By noon, it's topped off. I'll replace it with a shiny-new flux capacitor in 2030. :lol:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Boy that guy waves his arms around a lot. He's horrible at explaining his graphs, he needs to get to the point instead of rambling on. Yeah, that video was bought and paid for by Battleborn. Why did he test the cold performance of heated Battleborns against unheated lead acid? I lost interest after that. Battleborn remains the most expensive LiFePO4 on the market, I guess they need to justify their high costs. It would be more interesting to me if they compared them to another LiFePO4 battery, like Lion or Renogy.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:32 pm

tony.latham wrote:My AGM should last seven to ten years. I draw it down about 20% each night. By noon, it's topped off. I'll replace it with a shiny-new flux capacitor in 2030. :lol:

Tony

Meanwhile, I had a friend sneak the uranium rods out of the lab last week (in his oversized lunch box) and spent the weekend filing them down to fit in the teardrop. :twisted:

I breathed in enough dust that now I glow in the dark and no longer need to turn on the lights in the teardrop, so that problem is solved.

Also, regardless of what folks are saying on another folder, I'm confident that with the 10 gauge wire and 7 pin plug, the rods will be able to charge the tow vehicle just fine. Probably even charge the battery in the tow vehicle! :R

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:44 pm

Also, regardless of what folks are saying on another folder, I'm confident that with the 10 gauge wire and 7 pin plug, the rods will be able to charge the tow vehicle just fine. Probably even charge the battery in the tow vehicle! :R

I concur.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets