Looking for Proportional Brake Controller Recommendation

Anything electric, AC or DC

Looking for Proportional Brake Controller Recommendation

Postby Capebuild » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi all.... I'm asking if anyone can recommend a proportional brake controller I can install (have installed) in my Subaru Outback? I don't really know much about these products other than it's a proportional one and not a "timed" one I'm after. I've read good things about Tekonsha Prodigy model....any thoughts would be helpful.

thank you.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Looking for Proportional Brake Controller Recommendation

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:18 pm

I can't.

But you might consider installing the controller in the tongue box. Here's Tim Curry's installation (aka noseoil):

http://www.tnttt.com/search.php?keywords=brake&t=60248&sf=msgonly

I didn't do it because I have two trailers with brakes. But it's a thought.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 pm

Capebuild wrote:Hi all.... I'm asking if anyone can recommend a proportional brake controller I can install (have installed) in my Subaru Outback? I don't really know much about these products other than it's a proportional one and not a "timed" one I'm after. I've read good things about Tekonsha Prodigy model....any thoughts would be helpful.

thank you.

John

That is the one I got. I like it.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:50 pm

Tekonsha makes a fine product.

I ended up purchasing the Hopkins Insight. The selling point for me is that the three main functions (the 'brain', the hand control, and the display) are entirely separate components that can be mounted exactly where they individually need to be. I like it. The control box is mounted under the dash and out of the way so I don't bang my knee on it whenever I get in the truck. The display (about the size of a ping pong ball) is on top of the dash directly "in sight" so I can detect it in peripheral vision without taking my eyes off the road. The hand control is a small fingertip slider that I can mount exactly where it is easiest to reach. For my application it was literally plug-and-play. I find it very easy to use with intuitive controls. I didn't need anything fancy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hopkins-47297-InSIGHT-Plug-In-Simple-Trailer-Brake-Control/45016278
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GerryS » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:33 pm

At one time, I was a big fan of tekonsha p3. But I’ve come to like autobrake. It’s an on trailer brake control, and can use a standard 4 pin or 7 pin connector. Power for it comes from running lights, or aux on 7 pin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets