Solar Panel Recommendations-

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar Panel Recommendations-

Postby Capebuild » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:32 am

Hello... I'm researching solar panels (planning on having 2/100 flexible panels on the roof).

Asking if anyone can share recommendations as far as a manufacturer. I've looked at Renogy, Windy Nation, Sunflare. I like Sunflare's technology.

The challenge is finding a panel with a workable width. When I factor in the overall width of the roof surface and subtract for moldings and the fan, I'm left with about 20.5 inches of real estate on each side of the fan to mount the panels. I'd rather not cut down the fan's trim molding, but may not be avoidable. Renogy's panel is 21.6 inches wide, a bit wide. Windy Nation's is 20.5 inches, so their's might work, however I don't know anything about their panels. If anyone has used Windy Nation's panels and can share their experience with it, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Sunflare's 100 watt panel is 32 inches wide so that, unfortunately, is not useable for me.

Thank you.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Solar Panel Recommendations-

Postby TimC » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:54 am

Have you considered using 50 watt panels? Renogy makes a 20" wide version. There may be other flex panels with narrow widths. Might be worth your time to research versions other than 100 watt panels. Or, can you reposition your fan without too much trouble?

And on the Debbie Downer side of the flex panel subject...
I'll just post this video link. Will is a respected solar expert. I think his views should be considered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMZ_dRSFUs

Cosmo Weems has a bit of experience in the flexible panel world as well. He might be a good source of information and has several flex solar panel videos on youtube. He may be able to be reached directly for a discussion.

I don't have any experience with flex panels as I have decided to avoid them due to the mixed reviews. I have rigid 100w panels mounted to a frame with air circulation all around them. It is surely not as aesthetically pleasing as flex panels but I hope they are still performing when one of my kids inherit the trailer someday.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:45 am

John:

I wish you could figure out how Vistabule runs the cables for those Sunflare panels...

You might add LightLeaf panels to the mix:

https://www.lightleafsolar.com/

I've also been trying to figure out what brand of panels this guy used on his aircraft. He reconnected the cables and I assume that's what Vistabule is doing.

:frightened: His aircraft kinda reminds me of your teardrop. :applause:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:45 am

tony.latham wrote: ...

Tony

Those rigid shaped panels seem like a great compromise between flexible and rigid. Seem to answer at least the concern about getting air flow around the panel. Good find Tony!
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:52 pm

I know tony likes the renogy panel he has, as it is a new type of coating. But I have seen reviews that they are not holding up to UV either.

I like glass panels, they just work and are cheaper.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:46 pm

I know tony likes the renogy panel he has, as it is a new type of coating. But I have seen reviews that they are not holding up to UV either.

It's been on for three years and hasn't changed. Ask me in another three. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:03 am

Finding a "good" (flexible) panel is difficult enough... and finding one (two actually) that will fit nicely between the fan and the roof's molding makes it a bit more challenging. I like the Sunflare panels as they have a diode at every cell, so if one cell dies it doesn't affect the other cells. They also seem to resist micro cracking which, I suppose, can be inherent in silicon based panels. I'm certainly not an expert on the topic.

I liked that video you posted, Tony. I like the way the panels fit tongue and grooved into the wings structure. I didn't see any documentation as far as "who" manufactured the panels.... but did get an inkling they were specially made and perhaps financed by Garmin (just taking a wild assed guess) since they seem to be a big sponsor of the aircraft.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:52 am

I believe Mike mentions the brand of solar panel he used in the wings in the first video that he mentions them - but I don't think the panels are shown in that video. Might have been the one going over skinning and assembly.
I do not recall what the brand was.

I am another fan of the insanity of Mike Patey, and surrounded by more. There was a collective gasp in the room, when I told my family that Draco crashed. :lol:
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:03 pm

I believe Mike mentions the brand of solar panel he used in the wings in the first video that he mentions them ...

Now I'm gonna have to go back and hunt for that!

It's probably a good thing he isn't building a teardrop...

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:53 pm

What about just putting battery pigtail under your teardrop and use something portable?
We've been doing that for years and it works fine, see RV owners doing the same.
No mounting problems. :thumbsup:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mtbikernate » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:33 am

I'm looking at bumping up my solar capacity, as well.

Primarily, I intend to get about 200W of solar capacity in panels that are not mounted to the trailer. I have a 40W zamp suitcase panel already that I intend to continue using, as it's going to have separate wiring.

Maybe later, I'd like to add a panel mounted to the roof so I can keep my battery topped up while driving. Mostly for longer drives while I have my Dometic fridge running.

At this point, trying to decide which brand/model of panels to use.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby TCJ » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:32 pm

TimC wrote:
tony.latham wrote: ...

Tony

Those rigid shaped panels seem like a great compromise between flexible and rigid. Seem to answer at least the concern about getting air flow around the panel. Good find Tony!

Yup, I'm looking at them pretty hard too. In addition to airflow, one of the biggest advantages is being able to quickly and easily detach the panel from the trailer and move it to a sunlit area. Doesn't flex either, so isn't subjected to micro stress cracking (which can degrade the efficiency). John, if you're interested you should write the company to see if they have a model that matches the curvature of your hatch. They're quite helpful.
TCJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby MickinOz » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:46 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:What about just putting battery pigtail under your teardrop and use something portable?
We've been doing that for years and it works fine, see RV owners doing the same.
No mounting problems. :thumbsup:
:D Danny

I think that is the way I will go with #2.
I never got around to permanently mounting a panel on #1 and I hardly miss it.

My aim is to sell trailer #2 as a step up from swag (Aussie name for fancy bed roll) camping.
The target audience likely to already own a folding panel setup. Seems like every man and his dog has a portable kit for charging the fridge battery.
Normal connection method on this side of the Pacific is a 50 amp Andersson style plug.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Capebuild » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:59 am

Revisiting this thread as I get ready to install aluminum on the roof and want to make sure I get the gland in the correct location....so starting think about the solar installation. Still looking to install 2 flexible 100 watt panels on the roof (I'll also give the Lightleaf panels a look).

I'll use the gland on the roof to hook up the 2 / 100 watt panels. My solar controller is located in the cabinetry between the galley and the cabin. I'm also thinking I should have a solar suitcase to be able to gather some energy if the TD is in the shade.

My question now is: Looking for suggestions how to plug in the suitcase? Do I look for a gland that can accommodate plug ins for both the roof mounted panels AND the suitcase? Or have a plug in on the side of the TD which would be in addition to the gland on the roof.... but then how do you run the 2 set ups (roof and suitcase) into the controller which seems to have inputs for only one set of wiring (using a Victron 100/30).

Thank you for the help.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:18 am

Looking for suggestions how to plug in the suitcase?

I would install a Zamp Connector on the side of your cabin.

You'll have to fit an SAE connector on your suitcase's lead. And of course, you'll have to connect the wires from the Zamp to your solar cables inside.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets